question on rare TFs...you been disappointed?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NotFastEnuff, Apr 6, 2006.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,
    Over the weekend, I got a chance to visit a friend with a very nice collection. He's got a lot of the rare, Japenese only stuff, which he let me fiddle with. I got to play with some toys that I"ll never own unless reissued, but I discovered somthing as I was fiddling with $500 toys. I wasn't impressed. Is it just the rarity of the toys, or the desire to own such a "cool" toy. Maybe I'm just wierd. Please post.

2. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,
    Over the weekend, I got a chance to visit a friend with a very nice collection. He's got a lot of the rare, Japenese only stuff, which he let me fiddle with. I got to play with some toys that I"ll never own unless reissued, but I discovered somthing as I was fiddling with $500 toys. I wasn't impressed. Is it just the rarity of the toys, or the desire to own such a "cool" toy. Maybe I'm just wierd. Please post.

3. NotFastEnuff

Ebay:
    Hi everyone,

4. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I believe that toy appreciation comes from many different factors.

some people buy the toy for the box art and display factor
    some people buy the toy because it's "worth a lot"
    some people buy the toy due to its fun factor

Depeneding what you find value in, your perception on "cool" will be much different from others. :) 

5. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:

Depeneding what you find value in, your perception on "cool" will be much different from others. :) 

6. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:

7. Ras

Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras

For me personally, rarer toys such as the Japanese exclusive Autobot cassettes and the Headmaster warriors, (those such moulds that had not been released anywhere outside of Japan) were about curiosity and the toys themselves, not the rarity. Although that certainly made them more appealing. When I finally got them I was definitely not dissapointed, infact I think the Cassettes and Headmaster Warriors are among some of the best Transformers ever made. Certainly some of my favourites.

On the other end of the spectrum; I can see how I might encounter the lust for items purely on an historical basis (prototypes etc.) rather than the toys being among my favourites. Although I'm a huge fan of anything Transformer-related, my favourite generations are the first and second. So, for example, hardcopies of any other generation would tempt me more for their historical content rather than liking the actualy toy or character. I thrive on the history of such items though, so again, it's not really any dissapointment.

May I ask what items in particular you felt unsatisfied with?

Ras

8. Ras

Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras

For me personally, rarer toys such as the Japanese exclusive Autobot cassettes and the Headmaster warriors, (those such moulds that had not been released anywhere outside of Japan) were about curiosity and the toys themselves, not the rarity. Although that certainly made them more appealing. When I finally got them I was definitely not dissapointed, infact I think the Cassettes and Headmaster Warriors are among some of the best Transformers ever made. Certainly some of my favourites.

On the other end of the spectrum; I can see how I might encounter the lust for items purely on an historical basis (prototypes etc.) rather than the toys being among my favourites. Although I'm a huge fan of anything Transformer-related, my favourite generations are the first and second. So, for example, hardcopies of any other generation would tempt me more for their historical content rather than liking the actualy toy or character. I thrive on the history of such items though, so again, it's not really any dissapointment.

Ras

9. Ras

Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras Ras

Ras

10. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A lot of the rare G1 stuff is still pretty brickish, so as far as play value goes they can only be so exciting. Some of them can be damned pretty-looking bricks though. I haven't been disapointed with any of the rare figures I've gotten so far, but some are more exciting than others. For example, Liokaiser looks great and is a cool toy (what combiner isn't? oh wait, RID Landfill...) while Sky Garry is an impressive looking bot that just doesn't inspire me to fiddle with him.

11. ErikB

ErikB TF Master

rare is awsome, but for me, a rare toy is just a rare toy, until i actualy own one, then it's a personal treasure with a story.

12. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

I never judge a toy by its rarity. That said, a lot of those rare figures look very good to me.

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I wouldent spenad much money ona very ugly toy just cause it would be rare , I want it to look atleast a little bit cool. I want a few of the Japanese figs but ver far from all.

14. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

I think it's a combination of rarity and nostalgia. I always wanted the G1 Dinobots, Soundwave, Astrotrain, Mirage, Wheeljack, and Sunstreaker etc. When I finally bought them I didn't find them to be a lot of fun. They're still nice display pieces though.

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I'm hardly ever disappointed with rare TFs I buy. Starsaber, for example. I'd wanted one for years, and when I finally picked one up at Botcon last year I was over the moon. I still get that feeling every time I take him out of the box :) 

16. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

I always wanted a roadgfire and when I got him I was disapointed but that's just one. When I finally got a soundblaster I was in love with the toy, so you never know.

17. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    I don't go in for rare stuff just because I can't justify paying a mountain of $ for them, but there are a lot that I would love to have, and when say Star Convoy was reissued I went nuts and I love the figure just as much now that he's reissued as I did when he was rare, even more so since I actually have one.

18. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    based on the ones that i own or have owned:

The only one that i disliked after getting it was Daitatlas. Sold it about 3 days after i got it.

Star Saber is so so, Victory Leo adds a lot to it.

Roadceasar, Liokaiser, original Micromaster Gestalts all pretty darn cool IMO

19. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While it was exciting to complete a collection of Japanese G1, on the whole I find most of the figures average at best. The last few years have brought such incredible molds, I can't get too excited about the older stuff other than to appreciate its vintage worth.

It's very cool to own rare things, but if you handed Dinocassette Gurafi and Energon Divebomb to someone (who didn't know what they were) and asked which was the better toy, I'd be willing to bet old Gurafi would get the short end of the stick every time.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, some rare stuff does not excite me that much. Roadfire, who I don't own, looks great, but Big Powered is not that great. Especially now I've seen him from a different angle. Sonic Bomber is another one, he's not so hot in robot mode. Trainbots again are very average. Good toys, and I love them loads, but I wouldn't pay the amount a real one commands.