Question on how to paint 25th Anniverary G1 Optimus Prime Eyes blue

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by GeraldKeefer, Jan 17, 2011.

1. GeraldKeefer

GeraldKeefer Gabba Gabba Hey!

So I got some brushes but wanted to ask what is the best process to paint my Primes eyes to look like the G1 figures eyes in this picture...

Help and suggestions would be much appreciated. I really liked the clear nail polish trick to fix some figures I had from this forum. Worked on KO Henkei TC missile launchers, KO Menasor leg hole and foot and G1 Blitzwing gun.

Attached Files:

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    a tttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnny lil brush, and a steady hand. And this should prolly go to the radicons general discussion ;) 

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Questions about general process, etc. go in Creative General Discussion, so here we are!

4. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I know this is gonna sound insane, but a toothpick. It's a technique that I picked up while doing Star Wars modeling and general modeling, for those hard to paint details, a toothpick is a great way to do it.

5. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I second the toothpick. I used them to paint my Classics Rodimus eyes. I used those toothpicks that have the two sharp ends (almost like a needle).

Here are a few tips on colors and techniques when painting eyes:

Blue eyes - if you want straight up blue eyes and nothing more, then I would suggest picking up a bottle of Tamiya Sky Blue. It works well and is glossy enough to pick up light and make them sort of shine brightly.

Metallic/shiny blue eyes - if you want eyes that seem metallic or shiny, you'll want to pick up some Tamiya Chrome Silver and some Tamiya Clear Blue. Take the toothpick and dip it into the silver, paint the eyes, and let it dry. Once it's dry, use a new toothpick and dip into the clear blue and do the same. The clear blue will go on over the silver chrome and still allow the light to hit the chrome underneath and help it shine through a bit. It should help create light/shiny blue eyes.

Matte/dull blue eyes - if you want just dull or flat blue eyes, you can pick up some of the craft paints at Wal-Mart. These work great for tiny detail areas and if you choose a very light blue (not sure of the name), it will be nice and bright. It won't really catch the light, but it will certainly brighten up the eyes and do the trick.

Good luck with this! Be sure to post it up once you paint those eyes. These are just some tips I wanted to share, based on my own experiences painting the eyes on my customs.

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Consider toothpicks thirded :) 

I'll take this just a tad further to say that for every single Autobot custom I've made with blue eyes, I've used the same tube of blue craft paint from Wal*mart. A coat of Future over it seals the deal for me :) 

Example:

[​IMG]

Red Alert (BT) - Alternators - Binaltech Customs - TFW2005.COM

Tag Album: Superquad7 - Transformers Customs - TFW2005.COM

(There is a reason that I have more Decepticon customs than Autobots, but it has nothing to do with the eyes :lol )

Attached Files:

7. GeraldKeefer

Well, I think I'm gonna try this one. Should I put anything over the blue once I paint it on there? Superquad7 you said something about future? Shiny blue sounds sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettt

Also...will be definitely using toothpicks! thanks for all the help! going to attempt tomorrow and will post pics afterwards

8. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    You are quite welcome my man.

9. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Odds are you won't necessarily need the Future to protect it, but it can't hurt. The reason I say you may not need it is that you probably won't be touching or grabbing the eyes. Now it won't be super shiny, but it will catch more from a direct light source and help it shine more than just the blue alone.

Glad we could help you out, man. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

10. GeraldKeefer

Well hitting the hobby lobby by work to grab the paint tonight and doing tomorrow early afternoon. Will post pics in this thread when done. Hopefully I don't ruin my figure!

Also I was thinking of buying a custom G1 Perceptor head but the seller had already painted the eyes red. To get them back to blue could I still just use the silver and blue or would the red bleed through?

11. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    You may need to go over it with the silver a few times to cover the red, then hit it with clear blue.

Good luck and be careful and patient with it!

12. GeraldKeefer

Painting the eyes now... should post pics in the next hour or so...

Also quick question if I wanted to take some stickers off a G1 toy and put new stickers on them what is the best resource for getting the after sticker gunk off without harming the paint? Thanks!

13. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    I used Goo Gone, but it's been years since I did. It should work without removing paint, just research it first. I believe alcohol can also work, but it may remove paint. Maybe someone else can chime in with tips for that.

14. GeraldKeefer

did 2 coats of chrome silver on the eyes... getting ready to apply the blue now. Should I do 1 or 2 coats?

15. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    Try one coat and see hoe it looks. It may be good to go after that. If not, maybe do another.

16. GeraldKeefer

Did the one coat and looking pretty good. Def going to do another one.

Dude that custom MP Scourge on your Sector70 page from ebay...wow

17. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
  18. GeraldKeefer

Holy shit! That Scourge looks AWESOME. The detail on that is sick and I especially love the fingernails just like G1 'toon. You are talented as hell!

19. hXcpunk23

Ebay:
    I appreciate the kind words, my friend. If you'd like to see more of my work and WIP customs, you can search them here or check my Facebook fan page here:

Kitbashes & Customs - by hXcpunk23

20. GeraldKeefer

Ok here's the posted pics. Not perfect by any means but I don't think it looks that bad. What do you guys think?

Attached Files: