Question on fixing 2 different headpiece problems

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by RavX, May 22, 2011.

1. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi guys,

I'm a complete novice with a lot of fixes/customs so I thought I would ask here before attempting anything. I have 2 different figures I need help with but both involve the headpiece of the figure.

ROTF Smokescreen:

I recently opened up a ROTF smokescreen and when I got to transforming the head it came straight off. I heard something ratting around and sure enough upon shaking him out came the pin from beneath the panel that raises up the head. I managed to remove the upper torso to get to the area and try to re-affix the pin but the pin does not seem to stay in the hole at the bottom of the head. I have tried applying as much pressure to it as I can but I can't seem to get it to stay. I thought I got it snug once but when I turned the head from side to side the thing just pops right back out.

Is this something where I can apply super glue/nail polish/futures to the pin to hopefully make it a more snug fit? Should I try some other way of tapping the pin in further first? Any other suggestions? I don't know if this was a common problem with the figure or not. I couldn't find anything on the boards.

ROTF Swerve:

Different figure .. same issue .. only this time with a ball joint instead of a pin. Transformed this guy after opening him and the head came off. I found several threads that said this is a common problem so I think I just need to coat the ball joint with glue/polish again and hopefully it will fix the issue, but can someone confirm this before I try it? I honestly don't know if it is an issue of the hole on the underside of the headpiece being too big for the joint or if it could be the opposite with it being too small.

I've read up on some of the tutorials for tightening joints so I feel pretty confident I can apply something and correct it .. but I just want to make sure my approach is sound prior to doing anything so any help is definitely appreciated. I've attached pictures of the pieces in question. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. G60Force

G60Force World Smallest Mini-Con

Ebay:
    *buzz* wrong forum section... try Creative General Discussion or something ;) 

3. Jbarb78

Jbarb78 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The Swerve figure is probably the same mis-shaped ball joint that was on mine. That, or there's still residual plastic left from the molding inside the head. Take a look at the ball and the socket before you put anything on it, and see that they are both perfectly round.

4. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Maybe with the SC head, you can fit in a tiny screw to replace the pin. Just back it off once you thread into it and you should still be able to turn the head from side to side and the head won't come off anymore.

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Off we go to Creative GD:

. . . . and you should have reported it instead of making the above post :wink: 

6. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry about the wrong forum .. I don't post over here a lot :eek:  Thanks for the responses so far!

It's hard for me to tell whether or not there is extra plastic .. it looks like the ball joint itself is round but inside the head there may be some extra plastic ..there seems to be a couple of slits towards the front going up at an angle on each side of the hole. I don't know if that is supposed to be like that or not. I tried to get a closeup picture of it.

IMG_2275copy.jpg

If it is extra plastic in the helmet .. how do I get rid of it? Do I have to cut it out?
    I'd be scared of splitting the plastic that the pin currently sets into .. it doesn't seem too thick ... or would i just need to get a screw smaller than the opening and hoped there was a mass of plastic for it to catch into inside the headpiece? Does polish etc. not work on pins to make it a bit thicker?

7. Cybertronian

Cybertronian Well-Known Member

For Swerve, try Future Floor Finish (let it sit for 24 hrs. after "painting" the socket &/or ball joint before trying to re-attach them.)

8. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'll try to hunt down some Future's so I have it on hand for SS's pin and Swerve .. anyone have any other input? Specifically if it looks like I need to cut plastic out of Swerve's head or if it looks ok from the picture above?