Customs: Question on dying certain plastic colors

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by C16, Jul 27, 2009.

1. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Not sure if this is the right forum (it's the only customizing forum). I'm dying a Classics Bumblebee into black to make Runabout. My question is whether red or yellow plastic makes a better choice for absorbing the black dye. I've taken car of all the other parts, except the car parts. I'm assuming yellow would be better, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I have enough Bumblebee and Cliffjumper parts to make this happen.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009
  2. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You're looking for this forum: Radicons General Discussion - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

Personally, I'd go with the yellow. I've dyed red plastic black before, and there still seemed to be a reddish tint in natural sunlight. Even light primers I've sprayed on red plastic have had a red tint. Yellow plastic seems like the better choice.

3. C16

C16 Space Nomad

Thanks for the help. I'll finish the project tomorrow after picking up some more dye.

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    *looks to the right sidebar and looks up at the top links bar*

What in the world makes you (or anyone else) think this?

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    technically there's only one customs PROJECTS forum, with pre-fixes to allow separation and sorting, but there's FAR from just one customs forum here, my man.

6. gericault

gericault Well-Known Member

I've been doing the exact same project (thanks to Frenzy_Rumble for the inspiration!); go for the yellow, it works best. Also, if you can, use the liquid RIT dye, not the powder. Finally, if you're cleaning bumblebee's paint applications off with alcohol, take all of his translucent window pieces off first; alcohol weakens the cr#p out of them! Good luck, and post your result!