question on DMK-01...?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by beangrower, Jul 24, 2012.

1. beangrower

beangrower Well-Known Member

About to start putting this guy together. Just wondering what type of glue do u all recommend? I got the regular testors model glue (blue n orange) and crazy glue. Also roughly how long did it take for u guys to put it together? Lmk what u guys think.

2. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

It took me 4-5 hours for the initial build. For all the gluing and over all trimming to make things fit better was another 2.

I used Citadel gel super glue, as I find it easier to work with and control how much you use. Crazy glue can get messy quick if you're not careful

I recommend putting him together, then gluing on the parts you find loose after

3. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Moderator

News Credits:
    I used super glue for the parts that needed it...however, I dry fit everything before I put it into place permanently.
    I built my kit over the course of two days...4-5 hours per day...but then again I also did alot of extra painting.
    Tools I found useful:
    Tweezers
    Toothpicks
    Soldering Iron
    Canopy Glue (for the clear parts)
    In my world, DMK-01 cost alot of money lol, so I wanted to make sure I didn't totally eff it up by being in a hurry.
    Make every piece count, and I promise you will not be disappointed with the results.

4. beangrower

Thanks for the tips guys. Finally finished putting this guy together...no glue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dunno if I got his swordthe right way. So frustrating trying to put this together while it kept falling apart.

5. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    So it holds together without glue?

6. beangrower

Somewhat. Would be easier if u glued certain pieces...and faster

7. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    THAT FACE!!! argh... Thankfully he came with a masked one too.

It holds together without glue but it's a bitch to pose. Stuff keeps falling of.

iDD

8. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

Yeah he mostly holds well without glue. Some spots could really use it but it's fine if you're super careful when posing him up.

Also, I think the face looks awesome in those pics. I might switch out the faceplate on mine soon

9. m3v4n

m3v4n New Member

DMK-01 Clear Version Assembly

Hey guys,

I would really appreciate your feedback and advice on this. I'm a first time builder of model kits and I just got myself the Amazon Clear Version of the DMK-01 Prime.

[​IMG]

I've been looking at several threads but couldn't find anyone with the same issue, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out :) 

Almost all the parts are made of thin translucent plastic and I have heard alot of horror stories about how they can craze and crack when you try to remove them, and as this kit was quite expensive for me, I don't want to mess it up! :) 

What sort of prepwork and or tools will I need to get the parts clean off the trees? Is there any parts that I would need to glue on permanently?

I saw this tool and was wondering if I should go for this, (Micro Mark despruing tweezer)

or the orange xuron clippers

Any advice you can give me would be really really appreciated!

Attached Files:

10. ServO

News Credits:
    I personally use both the clippers and the tweezers since the parts are all different sizes...Also, get yourself a file, emery board, or fine grit sandpaper to help get all the nubs off the parts after they come off the tree.
    I glued most of the parts on mine in place, but I test fit every part before gluing it in place.

11. m3v4n

m3v4n New Member

Thank you so much for your quick response and your really helpful advice :)  I just have one more question: How close should I clip them before sanding off the nubs? I've read some posts where they say get as close and flush when cutting, while others say leave maybe a few milimeters and slowly file them down til they are flush. I'm just worried i'll gauge or leave ugly marks if I do it wrong. sorry for asking so many questions!

12. ServO

News Credits:
    It's really up to you, but I personally like to leave a little extra, and then trim it down...I feel like that gives you the best chance of not leaving any stress marks on the parts...especially those really small, fragile pieces.

13. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I use that cutter also. It works well on getting Transformers out of their packaging.

14. m3v4n

m3v4n New Member

Thank you again!