Question: hasbro/Takara-tomy....

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Thundercrackers, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

Okay, maybe this is something that all longtime TF fans know, but I'm totally in the dark on this one. When I went to buy a DOTM figure for my younger cousin for X-mas (I do my shopping waaaaay early) I noticed on the back of the figure "Manufactured under licsence from Tomy" and I got really, really, curious...

Who excatly does own transformers? I know the original diaclone toys came from takara, and the story came from Hasbro (via Marvel and Bob Budiansky) But how is the transformers Brand divided up? Does Hasbro own TF everwhere outside of Japan, and Takara-Tomy within Japan? What happens to Tranformers if Hasbro-Takara corporate relations ever sour?

I was just wondering, as I am a robotech fan, and I'm all to farmiliar with the Big west and Tatsunoko/Harmony Gold bad blood over macross. I was wondering about the possible TF senarios in a similar situation..

2. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

This is probably in the wrong forum, although I would also be interested to hear any concrete facts on this issue if anyone has them (rather than just speculation I mean).

3. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Back in the day, Hasbro licensed the toys from Takara. When Transformers became popular, Hasbro licensed the brand "Transformers" to Takara.

These days, the two companies are so intertwined that it's virtually impossible to say to what degree each of them owns the brand. That is, unless someone here has access to their contracts.

4. shadow2879

shadow2879 Banned

News Credits:
    This is how it works guys. Hasbro and Takara Tomy are two individual companies still. There is or was no merger. How both companies have come to create and distribute the same toys (namely Transformers) is...

1.Tomiyam was created in 1924 and changed its name to Tomy in 1963. Tomy had another Japaneses toy rival (Takara)

2.Takara was created in 1955.

3. Takara and now Tomy merged in 2006.

4. Hasbro a U.S based company bought the distribution rights to the Diaclone toy line and rebranded them as the Transformers for distribution in the U.S.

5. Hasbro would go on to buy the entire toy line after being giving sole ownership of the Transformers toy-line, branding rights, and copyrights, while in exchange, Takara was given the rights to produce the toys and the rights to distribute them in the Japanese market.

So... Hasbro owns everything Transformers but more-or-less as a thank you to Now Takara Tomy, Hasbro gave them the rights to keep making the now Newly named Transformers and to continue selling them in Japan. Hasbro still gets a percentage of all Japaneses Transformers sales because the name and everything associated with the Transformers name is owned by Hasbro and this also gives Hasbro more over seas sales through Takara Tomy without having to merge or attempt to take over the equity just as large Japanese toy company. So while these two power house toy companies do share toy lines and profit from each other, they are still their own companies.

5. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Do you have any sources to back up these specifics?

6. Thundercrackers

So Hasbro owns transformers lock, stock, and Barrel.
    Okay, that's what I was wondering about, thanks!

7. shadow2879

shadow2879 Banned

News Credits:
    lol... yes i do. And to be honest... if anyone would just do their research like looking into company history, youll see for yourself. But as for me... I can promise you... this is how its working between these 2 toy giants to date.

8. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Hey, look, I've been part of this fandom since 2002, give or take. I've interviewed a former Hasbro exec, and I write for the Transformers Wiki. I always state my sources.

You have been registered since February, and your response to being asked to provide sources is basically "look it up for yourself".

9. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives TFW2005 Supporter

The occasions are somewhat rare, but I have to agree with Nevermore here. If you can't even point a finger in a general direction toward a source and are confrontational about it. Well let's face it, one does not do themselves any favors that way.

10. Thundercrackers

So does anybody have an awnser then?

And sorry everybody, I never meant to start a conflict over my post.

11. Nevermore

News Credits:
    We're still waiting for shadow2879 to provide sources. Those will hopefully answer your question more thoroughly than I did.

12. shadow2879

shadow2879 Banned

News Credits:
    no one was being confrontational about anything here. Someone asked about how the whole Hasbro/Takara Tomy Transformers rights thing works and I explained it the best way I could. All the information I provided is public knowledge and anyone can find any and all this information is what I was getting at. The 2 companies are not one company but yet share the a toy brand which links them in their history.

13. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Once again, failure to provide a source. Tsk, Tsk.

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

:popcorn 

15. Thundercrackers

Thank you again, Shadow. I'll try looking some info up.

16. Thundercrackers

Okay, every web page I've found on the net, from wikipedia to freebase, seems to repeat this message over and over;

"In 1984, Hasbro bought the distribution rights to the molds and rebranded them as the Transformers for distribution in North America. Hasbro would go on to buy the entire toy line from Takara shortly after giving them sole ownership of the Transformers toy-line, branding rights, and copyrights, while in exchange, Takara was given the rights to produce the toys and the rights to distribute them in the Japanese market."

Everything seems to agree with Shadow, Hasbro owns transformers. But are there any more offical sources anybody knows about? Sheesh, I never thugh this would be so confusing :/

17. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Simple become a major stock holder and you can get all the "official" answers you want. LOL

One another note those of you requesting shadow releases his "source" it sometimes goes like this. You or a friend/contact knows information. You want "fandom" to know what's going on and release information so they can be informed/excited. You cannot state your source without giving away the confidentiality that they/you want. Shadow is trusted and backed by several admin/mod's on this form and it is his right NOT to reveal his "source" if he chooses not to no mater his reason. For all we know he may be Aaron Archer... Does it matter??? Just don't ride him for giving people info. He's given us a lot all ready and constantly gets crap for his effort. My 2 cents...

18. Thundercrackers

Sorry, I never meant to offend him , I was just wondering about the ownership thing. I didn't mean to question his sources, and would like to thank shadow again for his response.

I was only asking because like I said, I'm a big TF fan, and I'm really happy with what Hasbro has done with the toyline and TF fiction recently. I was just worried about the possibility of something happening like what's going on with Robotech/macross mess right now could happen with TF.

19. Bruticon

Bruticon The DVJ Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    No you were fine. I just went on blast there for a min from some of the other post as well as this one that people have rode shadow on. Sorry, didn't mean to make you think my post was directed at you.

20. Nevermore

News Credits:
    In my experience, the "awesome inside sources" who are as talkative as our shadowy friend will usually find themselves looking for a new job/new friends soon.

Aaron is a bad speller, but no that bad.

I find people who claim to have "awesome inside sources" and constantly give vague hints but never go into detail to be annoying and looking for attention. I've known some people who had inside knowledge, but they would never release any sensitive information and I never asked for it. This guy is the opposite. "Look at me, pay attention, I know stuff!" So forgive me for not being easily gullible and adoring anyone who may or may not have exclusive inside knowledge.