Question GoBots TF..

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thunder97, Oct 17, 2008.

1. thunder97

thunder97 Active Member

Allright, if I remember correct I guess Hasbro got the rights to the GoBots awhile back and thus used those GB names and such for TF's.. My question is this, in doing so do they have the rights to reissue the original GoBots toys from Tonka.. I think it would rock to get reissue's of those like we have the g1 TF's.. Maybe in 3 packs Cy Kill/Crasher/Coptor renegades and Leader 1, Scooter, Turbo the good Bots.. Is this possible for Hasbro to do? I have a feeling its not, yes I know most everyone trashes on Gobots, this Question is for the few peeps out there that would enjoy reissues of the Bots if possible..

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

No, because the Tonka-released figures are owned by Bandai. It's a pity, I know; I wouldn't mind picking up a few I missed or have since broken.

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Yep, Tonka licensed the Machine Robo toys off of Bandai and came up with a fiction to sell the toys. Hasbro's buy out of Tonka gave them some rights to the fiction, names mostly I think, but no rights to the molds.

Most of the names have probably expired by now anyway, so even if Hasbro didn't own Tonka, they could probably use certain names in the same way that other companies use some of Hasbro's old names. The Corps sitting on Shockwave for so long, as one example. No clue on how the legalities would have gone were that the case, though.

4. thunder97

thunder97 Active Member

Yeah thats what I feared that they didnt have the rights to use the molds, I thank you guys for the help with this question.. It really is a shame as reissues of the gobots would be awesome..