Question G1 rub signs

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by patobot, Jul 24, 2009.

1. patobot

patobot ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝۝ Scanning ۝۝۝۝۝۝۝

I have a question related to G1 toys. I thought that 'TM' on the box automatically meant that the toy was pre-rub and 'R' meant the toy was with-rub. I've come across these two auctions, both toys are MIB, not MISB.

Sunstreaker: Transformers Generation 1 Sunstreaker Car AFA 80 NM - eBay (item 230359771748 end time Jul-28-09 20:01:23 PDT) Toy has rub sign but box shows 'TM'

Starscream: 1984 *PRERUB* G1 TRANSFORMERS AFA 85 STARSCREAM - eBay (item 160350948914 end time Jul-26-09 19:32:21 PDT) Box shows 'R' but toy doesn't have a rub-sign

Is it normal or have the toys been swapped from a different box? I'd appreciate any infos about that. Thanks!

2. Da_Last_2_Walk

Da_Last_2_Walk Da King Of Pre Rubs TFW2005 Supporter

Let Da King Of Pre Rubs school ya:
    Regarding series 1 pre rubs, the TM is the true pre rub box and the ® is the true rubsign box. The examples you gave are very common for boxes that have been opened on one or both ends. I refer to them as "Frank-N-Steins". The figure being pulled out of one box, and placed inside a nicer box to receive a higher overall AFA grade.

This is why my pre rub collection is all MISB.

In the 4½ years of collecting pre rubs, I have only seen 3 legitimate examples of a MISB pre rub figure inside of a ® box. These MISB examples have been explained to me as this: There was a transition when the TM boxes ran out, and Hasbro started using the ® boxes.

*Note*
    Sideswipe is an exception to the rule. Sideswipe had the rubsign placed on both the left and right doors. So it is possible to see a MISB Sideswipe with no rubsign inside of a ® box. It's actually a Sideswipe that has the rubsign on the right door. I do know that the same problem does not occur with Sunstreaker.

*I see you didn't take my advise on the Galvatron.....I tried.*

3. patobot

Until recently I believed only series 1 toys had a pre-rub version but it appears some series 2 are also pre-rub. I have two Insecticons Bombshell, one has the 'TM' Insecticon.Bombshell.front on Flickr - Photo Sharing! and the other has the 'R' Insecticon.Bombshell.2.front on Flickr - Photo Sharing! . The rub signs are not visible and I wonder if the 'TM' one has a rub sign or not. I recently bought Shockwave and was surprised to see that it has the 'TM' mark, it has NO rub-sign and on the back on the box it says 'Patent Pending'. Here's a pic of the front: Shockwave.front on Flickr - Photo Sharing! and the Takara stamp: Flickr Photo Download: Shockwave.filecard . I wonder how many series 2 were released as pre-rub.

Thanks for all the infos :) 

btw, what's the advice on the Galvatron??

4. Da_Last_2_Walk

If you notice, I said "regarding series 1 pre rubs....."

Regarding series 2, the TM box is the first release box. The first release of the Dinobots, Insecticons, Constructicons, & Shockwaves all had TM on the boxes. That is why a Grimlock with a TM on the box has series 1 artwork on the back instead of series 2 artwork on the back. Skids was the only series 2 car with a TM box.

As far as I know, there are no series 2 Transformers that were released as pre rubs.

5. patobot

Yes I know you were referring to series 1, I kinda deviated my question. That probably explain why I saw a couple of Constructicons with text on the back card that looked longer than on my Constructicons. I guess they had the 'Patent Pending' on the back. Well thanks for clearing this up!

6. Da_Last_2_Walk

Are you referring to the copyright information? There are Chinese re-issue Constructicons that have a shorter copyright line than the originals.

I sent you a PM regarding the Galvatron, did you get it?

7. patobot

8. Da_Last_2_Walk

I'm confused by what you mean?

I can't see any copyright text in the picture from that auction. However, I do know that I sold that Mixmaster to the seller. The copyright information is supposed to go almost to the edge of the card.

Do you have an example of the short text you are referring to.

I know that all TM Constructicons are originals, and some of the ® Constructicons are Chinese re-issues.

Also, I've seen the Shockwave you won from the guy in Texas. It has been sold as a pre rub before. However, every other Shockwave that I've seen has always had a rubsign. It's possible that your Shockwave never got a rubsign because of a mistake in the factory or the rubsign fell off?

9. patobot

Here's an example of a Constructicon with slightly shorter text: Flickr Photo Download: Constructicon.Long.Haul.back this one has the 'R' stamp on front.

As for Shockwave, I guess it's a rarer version without rub-sign and with 'Patent Pending' in the copyright text. I'd be curious to see a different box.

10. Da_Last_2_Walk

Tomorrow I will dig out my Constructicons and compare the copyright texts. If I remember right, the original Constructicons with the ® are written in a smaller font.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Shockwave to compare boxes!

11. patobot

I have checked Bombshell with 'TM' and it does have a rub sign. The copyright text on Bombshell with 'TM' and with 'R' is the same size. They are also two more series 2 who have 'TM' on the front box: Jumpstarter Topspin and Twin Twist. Topspin has 'TM' and rub sign too. I wonder if the Jumpstarters were ever released with 'R' on the box?

I have just found something else that puzzles me. I have two Dirge and the rub sign is on the same wing but not exactly at the same place .. AND one of the box says 'Ages: 5 and up...' and the other one says 'Ages: 7 and up...' Flickr Photo Download: Dirge.2.front Flickr Photo Download: Dirge.front

I'm pretty sure the one with 'Ages: 5 and up..' is the first release as it makes more sense to go from 5 to 7 rather than 7 to 5. I hope this is true because I'm only going to keep my highest graded which would happen to be the first release :) 

Again, any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

12. Da_Last_2_Walk

Again, regarding series 2, the TM box is just the first release box. There are no series 2 pre rubs.

I remembered the Jump Starters late last night, but it was after my last post here. Both of mine have a TM on the box. I don't recall ever seeing a Jump Starter in a ® box.

I haven't fully studied series 2 yet, so I really can't give you any solid information about the Dirge. My guess is that the sticker was placed in different spots depending on what happened while they were manufactured. I have no clue about the different ages? My Dirge says ages 5 and up. My Dirge looks like this one:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/patobot/3576434999/sizes/l/in/set-72157616484116933/