Question for those with international buying experience

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by RavX, Oct 31, 2008.

1. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    All the TFs I've ever bought have been from stores/auctions already in the US. I have a couple of items that I am interested in from overseas stores (UK, Japan, etc.) and was curious how shipping/importing/fees/etc. worked when buying international.

I have read the page on internet purchases at the CBP (cbp.gov) website and it seems like if your order is under $200 you normally don't have an issue with items clearing customs and don't usually have additional fees on them.

Can those who have experience buying transformers from international sources weigh in? Do you have to pay import fees etc on your toys usually? Thanks in advance!

~Rav

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I buy international frequently. I've never had to pay a customs fee. Ever.

Just treat it like a domestic transaction, but allow more time for the stuff to show up.

3. Ratchet2007

Ratchet2007 Neither Here Nor There

News Credits:
    If your buying TFs from the UK I'd watch because of the exchange rate

A Universe Deluxe here in the UK is £12.99, over in America that would be $20.91.

4. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've bought from Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan many times with no problems. As long as you do your research and use a reputable store or Ebay seller you should be fine. Just expect to pay more for shipping. Since you live in the US there shouldn't be any extra or hidden fees to claim your package.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

Like the others said, expect longer shipping times, about 1-3 weeks depending on the items location. Also all countries impose custom fees on goods worth a certain ammount, so the 200 USD limit sounds about right. My country used to fine all shipments worth more than 100 euros, but from June 1st of 2007, that ammount was brought down to 20 euros. So you might want to check and see what is the customs limit for your country.

6. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I have purchased many items from great international sellers and haven't had any problems with fees/tarrifs/customs at all. Make sure you go to a reputable dealer/ebay seller. If you are planning to buy items off of Yahoo! Japan auctions you should probably wait or really research it first. (eBay isn't the premiere auction site in Japan; Yahoo! Japan is. Most Japanese sellers won't sell to people who live outside of Japan. There are auction services that have popped up and act as "middle men" so people outside of Japan can buy things there but it ends up costing you even more).

7. glancer

glancer Dinobot

from uk and japan id say give it a week to reach you. so far i haven't paid any extra fee to get them, but surely the shipping fee is more than domestic.

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    And one more wise word... China Post sucks. Hong Kong post is fine, but China Post sucks. Keep that in mind.

9. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Awesome thread. I am interested in raiding the foreign market for some of the more awesome stuff and this was a good thread for me to read over.

10. RavX

RavX Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for the feedback guys! This puts my mind at ease about buying overseas!