Question for Those Who Hate the Movie-style Aesthetic

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Monte Williams, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Monte Williams

Monte Williams Deconstructicon

Many people hate the live-action movie designs of the Autobots and Decepticons in their robot modes. I'm no fan of them, myself, as I find them too busy.

But it occurs to me (and perhaps this has been discussed to death here already, in which case I apologize) that I could accept the overly complicated appearance of each robot if only their faces were simplified so that they had more character.

Would that be enough for you, or would you prefer a top-down streamlining?

2. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I find their faces do have a ton of character o_O 

I mean hell, didn't most people prematurely judge Skids and Mudflap as "Herp and Derp retarded" because of their faces?

3. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Yeah and from what I've read, they're not really retarded....just immature. I have deluxe Skids and have read Mudflap's bio and noticed another reason as to why they shouldn't be considered "retarded". They're intelligence stats read: 6. That's one point above medium/average or so.

4. FriskyPinewood

FriskyPinewood Well-Known Member

I don't hate them, don't love them either. But what I do hate is how much influence they will have on future film design and the mind numbing stupidity of the "they look realistic" crowd.

5. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I like the body designs for Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. Even though their faces aren't the best.

The main reason why I don't like the designs is because the Autobots are (for the vast majority) portrayed as bipedal humanoids, while the Decepticons are not. The Decepticons are designed to be least human-like in appearance than the Autobots - thus people will side with the team that most resembles them.

I find that very lazy characterization. I also disagree with that because I think a TF should be feared or hated for its actions/words more than how many sharp teeth it has or if it has spider legs.

If they truly were giong to go "all out" with the designs, then the Autobots should also have been given one eye, or spider legs, or reverse knee joints. X-men did not make Magneto to be a hideously deformed mutated mess of a person. Magneto was actually quite regal in appearance but reviled for his motivations.

As far as the body designs go, I actually like the DIRECTION the new movie went, I just think it went a tiny bit too far. The "robot sinew" look they went for is actually quite refreshing. They just got too carried away I think. Its very hard sometimes to tell which is an arm or which is a leg or where a robot's eyes are. I am not sure if its due to shaky cam or shots that zip by the characters before you could appreciate them in detail. However, to this day I still have a hard time making out where exactly Ratchet's eyes are or where his mouth is even while looking at a static picture of him online. The same with Ironhide as well.

I am not sure they deserve an intelligence level of 6 when they admit they can't even read... For alien robots, you would assume that reading would be extremely easy.

6. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

they're aliens so let them be...

7. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

prematurely ???

I dont know what pictures you have seen but they are pretty much retarded to everyone . People who like them or hate them kinda agree they are moronic.

maybe i m missing your point but are you saying that somehow they convey character.??

I dunno stupid doesnt mean good conveyance of character

8. Monte Williams

Monte Williams Deconstructicon

I haven't paid any attention to the sequel hype/bashing. I'm just speaking to the movie universe in general.

That said, I saw the toy of one of the two characters you mentioned, and I thought he looked like 'Mater.

9. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I think what NGW is saying is that being retarded is in its own way characterization. Its a very weak argument. The same could be said about a mime - that his inability to talk makes him characterized. It is what he doesn't say that makes him more characterized than what others do say. The same thinking could be applied to Bumblebee or Snake Eyes. Or you could take that line of thinking to the utmost and say lack of characterization is in itself characterization. Because then the person has zero character which in itself is character.

Its a weak argument I think because he sidesteps the connotation of being retarded and instead falls back. In a way, he is right, even bad character is still character. Pauly Shore is also highly characterized. As is Carrot Top. As is Jar Jar Binks...

10. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Maybe reading just doesn't interest them? Just because they can't read or don't even know what reading is (Skids), doesn't mean they're unintelligent. I'm sure they're smart in other fields such as fighting. For instance, I've been doing some research on the TF Wiki about the Twins and in one of the comics, they spent a lot of time on Cybertron, going through rigorous training.

11. Baird

Baird bug-stomper

Actually, I don't think a complete overhaul is needed. Look at Long Haul and Sideswipe from TF2, the body designs are much more armoured and coherent. If all the designs had been more like these two from the start, I don't think I would have had too many issues. Therefore I reckon it wouldn't be that hard to strike a balance between being fan friendly and retaining the intricate aesthetic. I believe that the hyper-detailed look is good, but it needs to be balanced out with more larger armour parts and clearer, bigger vehicle pieces to create a more 'transformery' look. The faces and head designs should have taken more cues from the originals too, and been a bit less busy.

12. iceburn9

iceburn9 Constructicon

News Credits:
    So you're basically saying that people who feel the movie aesthetic looks realistic and believable, are all mind-numbingly stupid ?

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not overly thrilled with the current headsculpts. A change would be fine from my perspective.

Leaving them the same would be fine, too... don't feel terribly strong about it either way.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  14. Putrecon

Putrecon Banned

I don't think they necessarily need to any different, I'm getting used to them now...I just wish the transformations weren't so epileptic and their were more slow lingering shots on eye level with the Transformers, like when they had coversations and stuff... Not a fan of the music video choppy cuts and ADD camera lense y'know?

Although if there was a choice I'd like to see more bots in the armor-plated (insides covered up) style of Long Haul, Sideswipe and The Twins.