Question for those planning to camp out for PS3/Wii on launch

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by *Deathblade, Oct 15, 2006.

1. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

I have seen many people talk about going to Target, best buy, circuit city/etc and camping out at midnight or 24 hrs before what ever. What I am wondering, is say at like BB for example, there is sure to be a long line, even if you are at spot 10, and there are 200 people behind you.

what do you do when you have to go to the bathroom? (Food can be covered by portable snacks and what not, but nature really cant be ignored) ESPECIALLY if you are there by yourself. I cant imagine you would walk down to barns and noble or whatever, and when you got back the people would graciously let you regain your spot...I mean lets face it, the guy behind you is probably kicking himself for not getting their 10 minutes earliar, and potentially getting a better spot in line.

So how is that handled? I am hoping its not the obvious answer of a bottle.....what if you have to # 2?

2. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Pee on the people in front of you. It'll get you further in line.

3. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

For the record I am not camping out anywhere..I am just curious on the logistics of it.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

You get in your car and....

[​IMG]

5. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd put a chair, or have someone else stay there to reserve your spot for you. Plus, waiting in line is always more fun if you have someone with you. Take along your gf or missus if they are gamers. Snuggle up with them in a big chair or two under a blanket while you wait to get your new system. Seems like a pretty sweet idea to me, especially if your counterpart is into gaming. You'll get both quality time with her, and be that much closer to getting that system XD

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    When this happens, they give everyone tickets that say what position you're in. you can then wander in and out of line as you please, just as long as you don't lose that ticket.

7. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Usually the 'line' takes on a life of it's own. After you've stood/sat with total strangers for 10 plus hours you respect their spot and they respect yours. Get their first and start a list. That way their's a written record of who got there and in what order. It's not official, but the people who show up after you won't know any better.

8. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Have you ever heard of the Pepsi big slam?

9. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok. Nobody's gonna really camp out for the Wii, to my knowledge. It's most likely gonna be like the Gamecube. For my GC, I went to Wal-Mart at 11:30 PM day before it came out. So like 30 minutes, and still got one. Anyways, Wii seems to be a lot more popular, so I'm going to Wal-Mart 3 hours before, ala 9:00, and sitting at electronics until they give me my Wii.

10. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

As one of those unfortunate slods that work overnights at a major retail outlet (aka Wal-Mart) AND its only Electronics Associate I can say without a shadow of doubt you are better off waiting until after Christmas to get a PS3. I think my store is getting 4 of each and THATS IT..... this is the HIGH end prediction since all orders were slashed by 2/3rds a few months back. I won't find out for sure for aleast another 2 weeks. Typically my store gets the product within the 2 week prior to release and i can have better figures then.

Wii, on the other hand, shouldn't have any real problems with its launch. Lots of systems ready for launch-day and a decent amount of games (Marvel Ultimate Alliances is a Launch title! Not sure on Zelda since all Wii games are not on my list of upcomming releases.... bosses need to get me a updated copy since my last one was stolen). There are already people I know (myself included) that are planing to be ready to go on November 19th for the Wii launch than for the PS3.

11. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

4 of each? You work at a Wal-Mart in the middle of nowhere? There are supposed to be more PS3's than 360s. The Wal-Marts here had between 40-50 on average. There were a few in small towns outside the city that had like 8 or 9. Targets were between 10-20. I expect the #'s to be similar for PS3, and probably slightly higher.

12. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Err...Sony's only shipping 400,000 PS3's by the end of the year. That's quite alot lower than 360's.

13. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

Basically you get there as early as possible to get as close to the front doors as you can. You sit there in a chair (if you're smart) covered in whatever you can find to keep yourself warm. During my wait last year a group of people brought a bench out of their van and had a portable dvd player playing star wars. Some people tried playing DS/PSP but I think it was almost too cold and people were worried about the weather damaging them.

I waited in line last year with my brothers (I was semi intelligent,I only waited with them until 2:30 because I worked at 11am that day) and it wasnt worth it. It was damned cold and uncomfortable not to mention the boredom factor. Its a waste of time doing that just to get something right away. I'd never do it again,lol

14. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm waiting a while for both of them. I only just about a month and a half ago got a Gamecube, haha.

15. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Really want a launch PS3 to sell on ebay and to subsidize the cost of a future PS3 purchase but it seems like it will be a total hassle to camp out especially if stores will be getting no more than 8-9

16. Doctor Doom

Doctor Doom Doom is best pony Veteran

60,000 of them are already spoken for due to presales (check eBay the week before launch to see them)

17. Spaceman

Spaceman Shaken not Stirred

Ebay:
    I'll be "camping out" for the Wii at a 24 hour Wal*Mart.I'll be waiting for Midnight and be scoring a Wii. IMO thats the best way to camp out, you are inside and came be keep occupied.

18. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    That's 400,000 at launch not the end of the year. Xbox had roughly 300,000.

ChldsPlay on alphie's laptop here.

19. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    its an insignificant difference when 360 and Wii will have more than enough to meet demand. Sony will sell 400k but thats ALL they'll sell.

20. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I camped out at Best Buy for the PS2 launch. It's not really a big deal, or at least it wasn't for me. You get to know the people around you through the course of the night, and stick up for each other. Just ask the person behind you in line if they mind holding your spot.

In fact, as I was coming back from a pee break they were handing out tickets, I freaked, but the person behind me had made sure they knew that I was there and had somehow managed to snag a ticket for me.