Question for thise who own Universe Starscream (Wave 4 repaint)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Viper08, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hey, guys did any of you run into this problem:

I had to return two copies of this figure because the right wing (the left one is fine in all of them) was so loose it wouldn't stay upright when in robot mode.
    I couldn't understand it, I own Acid Storm and it's one of my sturdier figures, then this figure is only a repaint and it's one of my most fragile ones (it feels even more fragile than my MP Starscream).
    Finally the third one had a "tighter" joint and the wing stays up and its a little more sturdier, but still not even close to Acid Storm.

Any comments on this guys?, anyone can confirm what I'm seeing here?, or did i just get the worst batch of them all? :D 

Thanks guys.

2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    In fairness, there's going to be mold degradation. Including remolds, this is the... 8th use of this mold? And that's without even counting Henkei. My Acid Storm is pretty loose so I'm not shocked at all.

3. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    hmmm...I hope like hell mine doesnt go through any of this so far ive been good enough to avoid all the QC issues with my figures so hopefully that streak will continue

4. roykop

roykop Cassetticon

News Credits:
    while some of the joints on mine are a little looser then other seekers I've had... for some reason his tail fins are VERY tight...i thought i might break them just rotating them around.. in the end it was fine, but they are still tight. No problems with the wings as far as being firm on mine.

5. boorn

boorn Member

yeah, the first thing I noticed when transforming it is how loose the right wing was,not so bad that it wouldn't stay up,but pretty loose. The arm missiles didn't seem to fit snugly either. Pretty disappointing.

6. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

Interesting. Sounds like the latest universe Starscream has the same issues that plagued Henkei Thundercracker and to a lesser degree, Henkei Skywarp.

I have those two Henkei figures and they both have incredibly tight tailfins, that feel like they might break when you have to move them, just like Roykop said. My Henkei Thundercracker also has the floppy right wing in robot mode. Also, the pop out landing wheel on the right side of his chest is incredibly floppy. All these things have been reported by pretty much everyone who got one.

What I don't understand is why Henkei Starscream is perfect. No extra stiff joints or floppy wings. And although I don't own Hasbro's Acid Storm, from what you're saying it sounds like he's good too?

Since they have to create multiple versions of the same mold (because they can only cast so many figures before they degrade completely), perhaps 2008 Hasbro Starscream and Henkei TC/SW had their molds copied from a defective original mold, whereas the recent Henkei Starscream and Acid Storm had their molds copied from a good original mold. I've seen some people saying they had some of these problems with the original 2006 Classics Starscream, so perhaps one of the molds used to create that run of figures was bad even then, but they didn't know or care which one, until they copied the bad one and had already cast all the new figures. Who knows. It's definitely odd.

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I have no problems with either Universe 2.0 Starscream or Acidstorm. My figs are as tight as Classics (first release) Starscream & Skywarp. I guess I got lucky...

8. Viper08

News Credits:
    Yeah this third Starscream is "acceptable", not as tight as my Acid Storm (which is rock solid), and yeah, the tail fins are really hard, as a matter of fact, the left peg on that tail fin doesn't even go into the hole on his leg, but that's a minor thing, it's still "acceptable".

9. Viper08

News Credits:
    Well digging a little more, I compared Starscream and Acid Storm, and made an interesting discovery; the joint that holds the wings on Starscream is narrower in diameter (very small difference but if you look at it closely you can tell) and the peg on the wing is shorter , so that right there kind of explains how Starscream's wings feel a lot looser than the ones in Acid Storm's. Both toys fell identical in quality, except the wings.

Does anyone knows if you can pull these wings free from the back of the toy and maybe add some nail polish or glue to increase the diameter of that joint (to increase friction just a tad more)?.
    I was going to use the heat method, but the whole thing is plastic so that's out of the question. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks guys.

10. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    i popped the wing out of the little peg/socket and added a coat of glue to the peg, not to much just enough. after drying the wings are nice and stiff

11. Viper08

News Credits:
    What kind of glue Shadow Panther?, crazy glue? or regular white glue?.
    In any case all you do is just pull on the wing and it will pop off? ,is that how you did it? I just don't want to break the wing off.
    Thanks

12. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The wing peg should pop out with relatively little force. It is designed that way. Shadow is probably refering to super glue/crazy glue. Nail polish also works. Just apply a thin coat and let it dry throughly before reassembling.

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

You know, I get figures that are loose out of the box when I first transform them. I put them up on my shelf. Sure enough, next time I pick the thing up, it's not so loose anymore.

Mold degredation? Eh. That just gets thrown around here too much.

14. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:

yup crazy glue, forgot to mention that.

15. Viper08

News Credits:
    Thanks, i'll keep it in mind from now on. So far is still good, so I won't do it until it gets worse; I might just pick up another copy of him when i seem him around.
    Do you guys think (I don't know if this is even possible) that maybe the batch i got it was kind of loose?, i've seen some reports about it and some people have been saying that their wings are nice and tight, just wondering. Of all the seekers the only one I really care about is Starscream, so I collect wichever versions of him i can find, so I gotta make sure i get a good one on this run (I'm still geting MP TC and SW :D ).
    Thanks.

16. Viper08

News Credits:
    Thanks Shadow Panther and planetjacker for the info, i decided to give it a try....awsome, now this is the way the wing should feel (it might actually be a little too tight since now the whole joint moves, meaning the other part that connects it to the body with the metal pin). Now is like if I have a new figure, gotta keep this little "procedure" in mind for later use, thanks again guys.