Customs: question for the veteran bashers

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rumble02, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Hey all, for those of you who have seen my work, should i keep it up. BE HONEST. i have lots of parts and pieces and paint left. but should i waste my time. Im not trying to get any praise here I just want some honest opinions. and any advice on how i can improve my bashes should i continue.

2. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    I'm no veteran...but ...you should keep it up ONLY if you have fun doing it and it makes YOU happy......it sure beats robbing little old ladys !

3. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    If you have to ask, then yer probably not bashing for a very good reason. Even still, I wouldn't say to give up. While I will admit that I didn't like either of the two projects I saw, the amount of effort showed definite potential. I think the last two projects were simply poorly planned. The ideas were good enough, and the materials were fine, but the end aesthetics needed some serious work.

That last one (RiD Megs n BM Nightscream?) looked like you couldn't find the second arm to complete the figure moreso than a legitimately removed limb. Even if that was the case, you want to disguise that. Grafting some sort of weapon to replace the limb would've been a wonderful alternative as I doubt a TF'd wanna go on crippled like that. A modified transformation and a fixed arm with a complete overhaul with paint (while it's fine to be able to tell where the parts came from, the TF shouldn't look like it flew out of some kid's crippled toybox) would have fixed the figure up immensely.

ProPain... I really didn't find the alt mode to work all too well. It looks like a lot of stuff was thrown on for the sake of being thrown on. Less is more, yanno? Remove the shield and I think it might've made a decent plane, especially with elongated wings.

The biggest issue I have is the battle damage. By the looks of things, you're starting out. I'd say to stick with clean figures for now. The roughness of the face bothered me, but some quick sanding'd clear that up. ProPain was actually a rather decently damaged figure, but Pandora...

Clean cuts with wires sticking just don't work all too well. I actually liked the mismatched face, but the chunk of wing missing didn't feel right. Holes and tears are one thing, but if you insist on damaging, smaller, more detailed damage looks to be the way to go. The foot would've looked a lot better had it been scratched up and missing a toe or two, but the clean cut across the entire foot just felt like a busted toy. I've made mention of the missing arm, and the NS hand seems a bit too big for the mold, but the figure definitely had potential.

All I'm saying is, don't give up because your work isn't amazing. With a bit more planning, your stuff could be really awesome, but they come off as if something more could've been done. ProPain's decent enough as-is, but I would seriously consider revisiting Pandora.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Kouri pretty much summed it up...

You've got the effort, you just need to plan it out a little better.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I kitbash mainly to make figure A) More show acurate or B) More like the character I want them to be. I'd love to do more but money or time usually get in the way.

6. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

have all the parts before you start or else it will feel like it's taking forever to finish (that way when you actually start the work on it, the only thing stopping you from finishing is you, not a part coming in the mail), although that's more like a word of wisdom more then something you should do because for me I just really don't like waiting for stuff when I'm in the middle of something and end up having to leave a mess laying around for a week or more waiting for a few parts.

also, practice on KOs if you would like to improve on a skill or two.

sketching out ideas and getting everything down on paper usually calms me down and makes things flow easier when I work on something (although I haven't really worked on very many things yet)

but basically, I don't really see anything wrong with what your doing and how you are approaching kitbashing. "Practice makes perfect"

plus, if it makes you happy and keeps you out of trouble, then why stop?

7. defstar

defstar Autobot...

Great advice above...it all boils down to you enjoying it...if you love doing it as a hobby/passtime then keep it up...

8. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I couldn't agree more with this statement.....

I'm no vet either, but I do know that if it makes you happy in the end.....thats all that matters in my book...if others like it, thats just a bonus....

And as others have said, plan out your customs....know what you're going to do before you do it....

Dont rush them, cause if you do, you'll end up shortcutting the work, and you wont be pleased in the end....

Take your time, plan ahead, and do what makes YOU happy.

:thumb 

9. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

thanks guys. appreciate it.