Question for the parents here

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Overlord54, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Overlord54

Overlord54 Active Member

How do you guys maintain your collections with the little ones around?

2. blunghole

blunghole The Tapeworm of Unicron!

News Credits:
    Well, I'm in a unique situation where my wife and I keep separate houses...we're not separated or going through a divorce. Quite the opposite - we are deeply in love. I spend most of my time at her home with her, and I keep a few pieces of my collection around there. The bulk of my collection I keep in the attic at my place, safe from little hands. One of my friends who doesn't have that luxury keeps his collection in a climate controlled storage unit that is just down the street from his place. He can for a five minute walk, visit his collection, and be back home quickly if he's needed there.

3. spikex

spikex Nightbird is my bitch

I collect mainly g1 and the daughter knows and loves all those toys from watching the cartoon with me, so I keep out the ones she knows on a lower shelf and I trust her to be responsible with them. Although a few misshaps have happened, she lost g2 op's fist, and broke the legs on a ko scrapper. G1 cliffjumper is floating around her room somewhere. The more rare ones stay In the boxes downstairs. I keep megatron, ultra magnus, and devastator up out of reach on the tv stand tho

4. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm not anal-retentive about my figures (helps that nothing I have is HUGELY expensive)and actually let my daughter play with whatever Transformer she wants to. The deal is that she has to be careful, and they need to go back when she's done. It's a real bonding time for us, and one that I treasure more than the figures themselves.

As a matter of fact, my MicroMasters teamed up with her Littlest Pet Shop figures last night and defended a MicroMaster base from the evil Supreme Starscream.
    True story. They took 'Screamer down in no time flat. Never underestimate the power of chibi animals and tiny, blocky G1 figures.

5. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Seems like kind of a waste to keep a collection packed up like that - I'd want to display them. I understand the need to protect them but there's got to be a better way than this. Maybe putting them on a higher shelf or in cases with doors.

6. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm not a parent but I'm wondering what you mean by "maintain." Do you mean being able to afford the hobby with the expenses of a kid, finding the time, keeping them from being smashed, or all of the above?

People like Peaugh seem to get the family in on it. The Niblet has her share of reviews. XD

7. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

You need to post a picture of this ASAP!

8. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    My kids were 4 and 5 when I first started. I told them that they could play with them but not transform them. I also kept all the missiles and small things in a box away from them. And My collection was limited to around 20 peices that I kept on a table in the living room. But Now Since I have so many they are in me and my wife's room on bookcases. The kids are now 7 and 6 ,and can still play with them if they ask, but they are still not allowed to transform them. My daughter has little or no interest in them now anyways, and my son has about 7 of his own ROTF deluxes and voyagers now that he can transform.

9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    i am not a parent but i have a pair of young nephews and a young great niece and great nephew and i just lock up my TF room when they come over to visit me best way to keep them same as my nephews would wipe out my collection as fast as the con's wiped out the crew of the shuttle in TF the movie (1986)

10. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

It's easy, u touch anything u get the shiznit slapped out of your hand, that'll keep em away from stuff:thumbs2: 

11. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    and these days a good way to get child protection called on you XD

12. Transmetal

Transmetal Well-Known Member

That's what's wrong with people nowadays people don't stand up for there rights. Maybe if more people had a backbone then the young people of this new generation would be better citizens. Well I'll leave it at that, don't want this to become a whole different topic in the toy area.

13. -l-AYATOLLAH-l-

-l-AYATOLLAH-l- Well-Known Member

Mine are all displayed on high shelves. When dusting I let my littlest mess with the minibots or BW Cheetor and she thinks it is great. She is 16 months. My older girls (13 and 8) have no interest and call me a nerd for liking them.

14. Satomiblood

I'm glad you stopped yourself.

15. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I'm not, keep going please.

16. Satomiblood

2 G1 Overlords, please.

17. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

my son is 15 months old, i just put them on high shelves :) 

18. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This pretty much. Just without the shiznit part. There's a difference in a pop to the hand and beating your kid. I haven't had to pop anyone, but my kids pretty much leave my stuff alone. If my 2 year old does mess with it, he likes to push the SFX buttons on stuff. I watch him and let him do it but when I am ready for him to stop, I tell him OK let's go. These are daddy's toys.

19. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:

lol something about that seems very funny

20. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    My friends need to learn this.