Question for the Microsoft Afficionados

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I've currently got AVG free 7.5 installed on my system. I've used it on both my desktop and my laptop for the past year or so; it does a real good job of catching viruses and eliminating them.

My work PC has Windows Defender on it. I just recently ( :redface2:  ) got a validated and honest-to-goodness copy of XP running on my desktop PC and I'm curious -

Does Windows Defender do the same things a regular antivirus software does? Does Defender offer more? I looked at the brief description of what Windows Defender offers on the MS webpage, and they mention that it is also a spyware killer. I'm confused here, too - is spyware considered a virus, or does spyware need its own anti- software?

Thanks for any help in advance.

EDIT: Haha, aficionados has 1 f in it. Now I feel like a retardobot 5000.

2. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

Spyware and viruses are 2 different things. What Defender does is basically watch out for just spyware and alerts you when you get some. Problem is spyware is so frequent now that those alerts can become incredibly annoying. I recommend either Spybot or Ad-Aware for spyway removal. They act as a scanner only and both do a pretty good job. If AVG is working for you, then great, but I personally recommend Symantec. There's no free version of it, but I think it does a better, more aggressive job against viruses.

3. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Defender can also teleport and launch smart bombs.