Fan Art: Question for the designers out there

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Treadshot A1, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Jan 27, 2009
    As some of you know, I've been designing toys. Up until now, I've been working only on small projects, many of which were done for close friends as thanks for other things over the years, and the rest because I'm a spoilt brat with too many toys for his own good. But I just finished up my first commission, and i'd love to get more commissions. How much do people normally charge for this sorta thing? I have no idea what the going rate is for designing toys. Help? Oh, and uh, PM me if it's a secret. :) 
  2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

Sep 1, 2006
    News Credits:

A: I have a project that I was actually thinking might be well suited to your skills

B: I've been quoted anywhere from $30 to $200 for small design projects when shopping around for another idea.

C: I (when dealing with traditional medium artists or radicons) strongly believe in paying the artists whatever they think their work is worth. It's sort of a self-sorting bit of capitolism. If an artist under values themselves they'll get overwhelmed with work and have to raise their prices, if an artist over values themselves they'll never get any clients. I think most folks know what they're comfortable charging for their time and efforts, I say go with your gut, and see where your workload shakes out.

It's a different story if you enter the professional sphere, which you could potentially do eventualy with this skill set you're developing, but for now, go with your gut!