Question for the animated fans, from an animated fan.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Valkysas, Aug 17, 2009.

1. CaptainChunk

CaptainChunk I bought it for my kids..

Ebay:
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up

2. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Snarl and jetfire/jetstorm is available on walmart.com w/free site to store shipping if you are still looking for him.

3. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    I got into Animated after season-1 when I finally got over their exaggerated cartoony designs. Since then I've grown to appreciate how show accurate the toys actually were.
    As far as ppl jumping on the line when the news of cancellation hit; I think that's just normal and to be expected.

4. MagnusMaximus

MagnusMaximus Active Member

I was dubious at first about TFA. Like many others, the art style was not the most immediately endearing thing to me. However, once I watched through the 3 part pilot, I was hooked. The story was good, I liked the different take on iconic characters like Optimus Prime while characters like Starscream remained the same, which is also fine and dandy for me. I love the way that Megatron is a more cunning and intelligent villain rather than the moustache twirling bad guy in previous incarnations. As I watched more of the series, the style also grew on me. Character designs like Lockdown and Oil Slick are very cool to me, despite being of a more "cartoony" style.

As far as collecting, I didn't start until Season 2. I have all the Deluxe, Voyager, and Leader figures with the exception of Stealth Lockdown, Atomic Lugnut, Roadbuster Ultra Magnus, and Shadowblade Megatron. I only have Activators Cliffjumper as I'm not big on the Activators but I wanted to get Cliffjumper in some form. I have to admit that he is a fun little figure.

I think that if people look past the art style, the toys themselves are very well designed and have some instances of fun and great transformations. I particularly like Oil Slick's Deluxe toy for its style and well designed figure.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  5. Oafley Jones

Oafley Jones Active Member

It was the same for me. Loved what I saw the moment the previews were released. Even bought a Lugnut prior to his release off ebay. This will be the first and only series I will be a completionist in. Loved the artstyle and the modern take on tfs I loved as a kid in the early 80s.

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I noticed the same thing. Personally I had gotten pieces here and there from the lines launch, getting many on sales or whatnot (That McDonalds coupon was a blessing and a curse!). However, I will admit that with the rumors that the line was ending I pushed to complete parts of my collection, though I suppose had I waited until now I could've gotten them for even cheaper.

My collection isn't complete, but other then the not yet released figures, it's complete as I want it to be and percentage wise it's pretty high. (I'm missing a few Activators that I don't care for, a few repaints, I don't have Battle Bumpers or Supreme Prime, etc.)

7. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For my part, I didn't get into Animated (the show) until it was almost over, and I didn't start seriously collecting until a couple months ago.

There are a number of Animated characters who I love, but who I'm not likely to buy the toys for because I don't like the aesthetic and mechanics of the line that much. For example, I like my Jet Twins in robot mode but dislike their transformations. Blurr is another figure that I've picked up, fooled around with, and then put right back down, dissatisfied. Megatron is fun to play with, but simplistic, plus I don't collect Leaders due to my own poorness.

I have obtained Purple Shockwave, half because I love the character in Animated, and half because he's almost like a Universe Shockwave in that color. Got Sunstorm in the same lot, which is fine with me because I love the character, and the Screamer mold is good enough to have an example of it. I'm also bidding right now on Universe Cyclonus and Nemesis Strika to build a pseudo-Team Chaar...I realize that none of this is sending Hasbro the "make more Animated" message but there's nothing I can do about that. I have bought a couple more of the Animated toys as gifts for friends that do collect more of the line.

If its any consolation, I'm actually planning to collect several of the upcoming 2010 Animated toys if I can find them. I'm particularly interested in Rodimus, Arcee, Blackout, Toxic Oil Slick, and perhaps even Ironhide. In general though, I have to be selective with what I collect, and I like realistic alt modes. If I had more money and time, I might try to collect more, but I already spend more money than I should on the movie 'bots that appeal to me more.

I think what contributed to the "failure" of Animated (which is hardly a failure...it ran as long as G1 or Beast Wars) was the long delay of the first wave thanks to the extension of the successful Movie 1 line, the lack of any real connection between Animated and the flagship movie franchise, and possible lack of appeal to the 9-12 year old demographic they wanted (this is just what I've read online, take with cup of salt).

However, I do think that The Powers That Be have learned lessons from Animated, just as they learned lessons from Beast Wars that were then applied to Animated. I'm actually excited about the prospect of a new show, that will hopefully combine the things I like about those shows (strong character arcs, well-written plots and story arcs, excellent voice acting) with a style that appeals to me even more.

8. perithimus

perithimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As soon as I heard they were out I hit every store looking for them. I bought animated toys as they showed up at hts sometimes because they would hit there first before retail. I was very active in collecting animated figures as they were released. I probably had the toughest time with Wreck gar but had some help finding him. I love the animated line and look forward to the last few releases.

9. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

i got in partially midway during season one. i heard about the show but i never knew it started till i saw black arachnia at target. after looking at the figure, i came to really appreciate the artistic approach. i was on a huge transformer pitstop (started and stopped at beast wars), only buying a few universe here and there. after buying the black arachnia, i started to watch the show and enjoyed it and followed through till the it ended. i've bought every animated figure i saw come out, even coughing out the occasional extra mula for some deluxes (i paid 20 bucks each just to get swindle and blur). i think i have almost everything except repaints (well i went for shockwave). although i don't have originals for lugnut and lockdown (got repaints for those), i'm happy as long i have the mold. i think the only figure i didn't get is oil slick.

10. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

actually i'm letting some of mine go now that it's over. except Jazz, i love the guy.