Question for the animated fans, from an animated fan.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Valkysas, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    This has been bugging the hell out of me for a long time.

when we found out animated was officially cancelled, ending, dead, whatever, I noticed something. the people crying the loudest about it, the people angriest, hadnt actually bothered to support the line they claimed to love until it was over.

starting with the last few episodes of animated, there was a massive rush of people hunting down wave 1 of animated on these boards. people taking about how hard it was to find certain figures that had been out for a year or more. even now, people are posting about HUGE animated hauls, collecting most of the line in just the past few months. and its really not that big of a line. but a large chunk of the animated fandom on TFW didnt buy more than a handful of figures while the series was still going. you know, when it actually mattered to stores that you were buying them.

so. my question is basically:

what the fuck?

seriously.

2. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Well, I suppose it would be easier to get into something when you know there's not gonna be any more of it. There's a finite amount of story, toys, etc.

3. Drone81

Drone81 Well-Known Member

here in belgium, transformers toys are hard to get. They keep popping up randomly.

a TFA example: i got Grimlock and Snarl but i never seen Swoop in the stores...

i got lucky to find TFA Ultra Magnus a few weeks ago, but thats just pure luck.

most waves here seems to be released in parts ( like 2 out of 4 figures from a wave )

so yeah, supporting can be hard sometimes :'(

4. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    dude. them buying late is better than them not buying at all. if its not supporting animated directly, its still supporting hasbro as a whole

5. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    To be fair, the series (for many) got off to a slow start. It just kept getting better and better and eventually more people flocked to it's G1 homages, escalating plot, and bad-assery in general. As it improved and increased it's attraction to a wider audience, more people got into it.

Kind of too little, too late.

I loved the whole thing, but each season was better than the last for me.

6. Heat Blast

Heat Blast Laserbeak's Stunt Double

We didn't appreciate Animated untill it was too late. I'm getting Magnus next month from Wal-Mart (it comes w/ a $10 gift card) so sometimes it's good to wait.

7. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    As a UK collector supporting any TF line can get complicated and expensive. I was paying $25 -$30 for my deluxes and probably $60 for Sunstorm.

I love TFA and while sounding like a drama queen its passing has left a hole in my fandom. The fan reaction I always felt was mixed, there some some savage hate towards TFA that I never really understood.

Hopefully if the figures sell well, we may get some more figs in the future. As far as completely new molds go I would love a Cybertronian Bumblebee (with Wasp and Cliffjumper repaints), but I think the best we will see is a Ramjet, maybe a silver ironhide.

In closing TFA I miss you :( 

8. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anything you are told that you can't have anymore instantly becomes more attractive (which is why limited editions sell so fast).

ps, Ladies - you can't have me......(worth a try, right?)

9. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Animated is ending? Holy crap, that means the figures are going to be ZOMGRAREBBQ!!!11!! Time to profit! :p 

Seriously though, I think Animated is the only Transformers line, ever, where I have bought almost every single figure from the main line. It's also the only time I ever paid a Chinese pirate for a pre-release figure (Voyager Bulkhead) because I wanted it so bad and couldn't wait three more months to find it in a store.

Long story short, I've loved it since I watched the first episode, and I miss it something fierce. :( 

10. leov36

leov36 Rubber Wheel'd UM

it took a while before i realized animated was a kick ass series as a cartoon and as a toy line. at first, animated seemed pretty stupid, the ememies they fought in the cartoon, some of the story lines, the way they were drawn, shit like that. then after a while the cartoon got really sweet and the toys really began to grow on me. i personally like how they are easier to transform and the amount of aticulation they have. i wouldnt say i was a late adopter like you are describing, but i definatetley was not on board from the get go. people are just realizing how sweet animated is, it just so happens its to late.

11. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you got 'til it's gone...

12. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I must have missed the rush to collect Animated. I have most of the Animated line still trying to finish it up but I have not had a hard time finding what I am missing. The prices on the figures are close to retail. I plan on picking up the remaining figures that will finish out the line while I support the toy line I didn't like the show so nothing really would have changed for me.

13. Vizer

Vizer Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Well, I had been buying them all along, but I imagine part of the reason is because Season 3 had everything people wanted. A better storyline, G1 references, less human interaction, and more action with new characters. I'm sure that hyped people up more into getting the figures and hoping for that Animated Rodimus or Cyclonus in the future. Seasons 1 and 2 are fairly mediocre in comparison.

14. rustyshark

rustyshark G1 FTW

the only figures i am having trouble finding in retail anyways are both prowls, the target exclusives and the repaints of the leaders and the jetfire combiner. everything else i can find in town. i will have to get those online.

15. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I wanted to, but until my previous cat was put to sleep, I couldn't afford it. I did buy a Prowl, but that was it.

Even after he died, its still been a struggle to collect them, with only maybe being able to afford one or two a month.

Its been kinda like being on crutches in a marathon. Eventually you get there...if your arms don't fall off.

--Moony

16. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i collected them from the start, then paused for a few months and got the rest in two foul swoops, which i'm glad i did, i only am missing skywarp now, wreck-gar and shockwave haven't shown up here yet.

17. Dally

Dally Decepticon

Ebay:
    By the time Animated had started airing I was pretty much done collecting Transformers, then ROTF made me start back up and then I discovered TFA. Started watching it on Youtube and then the rest was history.

18. -Wreckage-

-Wreckage- I'm Not An Architect

News Credits:
    Personally, I was an animated fan from the start. My first animated figure was Blackarachnia, back in June of 2008. Nice figure, BTW.

Anyway, I'm still trying to get one or two more animated figures because I either wasn't sure about them at the time, or I just didn't have the money. Thankfully, it may only be 2 or 3 more. There were those who just didn't like the toys, and saw the show, and ended up liking them after all. That, or they might just want to be in the majority of the "group" and be more "popular".

It bothers me too, man, but that's life, you can't control how people think or react.

-W-

19. tigermask44

tigermask44 Kills Cons Dead!

News Credits:
    Well since hasbro will never tell us sales figures it's hard to say if it was the fandoms fault or hasbro's own decision. I don't think they like working with cartoon network that much.

20. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    There are tons of Prowls in the UK

Im just about to start collecting Activators and Bumper Battlers. I have everything else TFA