Question for PS3 owners without the PS2 backwards compatability

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Prowl, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does your system still allow you to create virtual PS2 memory cards?

2. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    The virtual PS2 card is created when you insert a PS2 disc.

If they PS3 doesn't recognize the PS2 disc anymore, you wouldn't get the opportunity. Hmmm.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks man. I was just wondering if that was a feature them removed from the non-backwards compatible ones, or it was still there, in the event that firmware allows for backwards PS2 in the future.

4. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    OH ... I'm not even sure, that's just my guess though.

Brainstorming ...

The first PS3's (20GB / 60GB) featured the Emotion Chip, aka the PS2 playback hardware.

The next batch (80GB Motorstorm) removed the chip (cost savings measure) and offered PS2 playback via software emulation. The software emulation was too problematic, so it was removed from the current systems.

PS2 discs are nothing more than DVD-5's and DVD-9's ... so no other hardware is needed to make the software emulation work.

In theory, if Sony wanted ... I guess they could inject the PS2 playback software back into the firmware updates. I just wonder how current updates don't nuke the 80GB playback.

Pardon my rambling. : P

5. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I got software back comp :( 

6. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    so which PS3 [thats readily available] still has backwards compatibility?

im definately considering on getting one sometime int he near future [MGS FTW!] but itd definately be nice to have backwards compatibility so that i a) wouldnt have to switch over to my PS2 anytime i wanted to play the older stuff and b) if its backwards compatible i can just sell/get rid of my old PS2

7. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

Only the 40GB system has NO backwards compatibility. All others offer some degree of backwards compatibility.

May I suggest the new 80gb PS3 with MGS4? I just got mine yesterday and it's amazing.

8. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

The only system avaliable with BC is the 80 gig MGS4 bundle. You can find used 20/60/80 gigs but the prices have went pretty far up. The place I got my PS3 from has raised the price over $120 more than what I got it for.

Also, you can create PSone and PS2 virtual memory cards from the XMB. I created them both before ever trying a PS1 or 2 game. I don't know if its still posible on the 40 gigs though.

9. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Their is a rumor circulating the PS3 fandom that Sony may offer the emulation in the future to spark more sales. Like around the holidays. But I would strongly take this with a grain of salt. It would be great though. It would allow me to substantially increase my game library. I know of plenty of games that i would love to play on the PS3. So their is hope, no matter how small of a sliver it is!

Here are a few links:

http://ps3.qj.net/Rumor-PS2-backwards-compatibility-for-40GB-PS3-in-October/pg/49/aid/120806

http://www.destructoid.com/rumortoi...ckwards-compatibility-to-40gb-ps3-89031.phtml

10. dak

dak <b><font color=blue>I am DAK! The customizer!</fon

News Credits:
    GUess what folks IIIIII have a 40 GB Ps3. lol.

Yea, the PS2 compatibility is gone... but THE PS2 VIRTUAL MEMORY CARDS STILL REMAIN. Why? I have no idea... but I'm really hoping they do come out with that emulation.

11. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

As far I was know from reading is the.

20/60 - hardware backwards compabity

80 - a mix of hardware and software

40 - all backward comp removed. Due to the way software backwards comp works I am not sure I would want it on a PS3. Just look how well it worked for the 360.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I had the PS3 Metal Gear Bundle in my hand this afternoon.

Seriously considered it -but honestly the price of gas has just eaten into my disposable income. I just don't have it to spend right now.

I really like it that the 80GB retains backwards compatability.
    Is the Metal Gear Bundle a limited time offer or is that only the gunmetal grey version that is limited?

13. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    only the gunmetal is limited edition. just curious because I couldn't find them anywhere in my area - where (store wise) did you find the bundle?

14. silentdarth

silentdarth Josie's Daddy

Ebay:
  15. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i don't get why emulation has gone, espcially since its software - makes no real sense to me...

16. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    Sony claimed it was resource intensive. Instead of making developers focus on legacy titles, they wanted to focus on the future.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel you man... I wanted to get the special edition to MGS 4 but I backed out because of gas. I'm taking my son to Corpus for his birthday to see my family... so that means 2 MGS4 special edition's worth of gas.

18. smangerbot

but what about people like me that have the software emulation already?

unless the hardware is drastically different, i don't understand why it isn't included.

19. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    The software emulation isn't going to be removed from older consoles. If you have it, you have it. In the early days of S.E., if a game didn't work properly, Sony would release playback patch fixes. Now, if a game doesn't work properly, oh well. It's unsupported functionality.

There were a never ending list of reported PS2 game problems too. With thousands of titles to make PS3 compatible, the work had to be overbearing. Also, you might have to fix the same title 2 times over pending the region.

The hardware was drastically different. The Emotion Chip / Engine, the heart of the PS2, was placed into the PS3. This allowed for a true playback. The 1080p upconverting on FF12 and God Of War 2 was amazing.

20. smangerbot

i know this, what i meant it why isn't the software included with all ps3s? especially if development on it has been frozen.