Customs: QUESTION FOR MY FELLOW BASHERS

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Rumble02, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

Just curious on something. How many of you like partsformers, how many of you hate them? why do you feel the way you do?
    do you prefer simple repaints and mods? heavy mods? how do you feel when a basher makes something from the spare junk and broken toys he has lying around. and yes im working on a partsformer as we speak and when i say he is a hodgepodge im not joking. but what else would i do witha bunch of random bits.

2. ssg4life

ssg4life Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i love to see how creative people can get with mixing and matching. i myself can't really do much of it, but i really get a kick out of seeing some people take a possible frankenstein and making into a masterpiece

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    sometimes it's inevitable, sometimes avoidable. always look for the way to avoid it first, and if it's out of your skill set, do what you have to do.
    some of the greatest TFs were engineered by guys who were masters of toy making - and most of these greatest toys had parts that need to part-form.

4. anovasinn

anovasinn THE PAINTS MUST FLOW!!!

i have no problem with parts formers however ones that are not parts formers appeal to me more. weapons that do not attach to the alt mode does not bother me either.

as far as the scrap builds i love doing that i have two laserbeaks made from gundam parts ,power ranger armor ,and scratch built parts.

heavy over Minor mods> well i am sorry but, i think the word minor undermines the hobby i have had scratch builds go smoother than some of my "minor mods" so in short i like both aspects of the hobby the same.

5. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    G1 Seekers: Partsformers with ONLY shoulder articulation.

And yet they are some of the most enduring and endearing characters EVER!

Combiner teams are basically Partsformers, yet we all get fangasms when someone makes a great bash of one!

I don't mind Partsformers, Shellformers, Magnaformers, whateverformers.

Sure, we like "perfect" transformations, especially with our customs. I believe this is because we love to challenge ourselves to attain our vision. Also we love to see others achieve that goal, and "perfecting" older, less engineered figures is a great sense of satisfaction.

I love being pushed by other customizers to not give up and figure out what I need to do to NOT Partsform. I was convinced my TFA Skorponok had to have Partsform insect legs, but guys like Redline, Plowking, and Nemesis Predaking had faith in my skills, which in turn gave me the confidence to engineer non-partsform legs. It ended up turning out sooo much better than I could have imagined!

BUT, if it Partsforms, I don't mind if it's a great figure, hell, there are some NON-transforming customs on this here site that I would LOVE to have in my collection!

So, to sum up my feelings, It is most definitely the eye of the beholder, and I think however it achieves its goal is correct, as long AS it achieves it goal!!

BASH ON!! However ya do it!!:thumbs2: 

6. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I dont mind them. Plowking v.1 and Alt Hammerlock are both parts formers...and I like those two guys.

Partsforming really doesn't bother me, I see the overall custom, not "this part has to come off....yadda yadda yadda..."

And to see someone make something from nothing?...thats even cooler in my book...partsformer or not :thumb 

7. Nemesis Predaking

Nemesis Predaking Offical Enforcer WTF@TFW Veteran

News Credits:
    Partsformers, OH NOES !!!!

Transformers that don't transform !?!?!

Yeah I got no problem with them at all *coff* Nemesis Predcons *coff*
    They just have to have a flow to them, not just parts sitting on them for shits & giggles.
    The key is to integrate them as well as possible.
    As for mods, a well planned out bash will dictate how heavy or light one would have to go with the mods.
    As a basher once I finish a heavy mod project & sit back & say "Damn, I did that !"
    it makes me feel really good. But on the flip side, sometimes simpler is just as good.
    1 or 2 well place little mods can be so much more dramatic then a crap load of heavy mods.
    For me planning is the key, having a solid idea of what I want to see as the end result & trying not to stray far from it.
    Whenever possible, but some ideas are only good on paper. So reworking an idea is needed.

Oh yeah & guys like RL, PK, SQ7, ABX23, TTT & BH to give me a push every now & then helps.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I typically don't like them, but there are cases where it's inevitable. As long as it's not completely a parts former, I'm usually ok. A piece here or there is ok, especially when dealing with weaponry.

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't hate parts-formers, but I try as much as possible to avoid them. I feel like if I can beat the problem and avoid having to parts-form, then I've beaten one heck of a good challenge, which makes the final result that much more satisfying to me.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    This.

While RiD Prime and Magnus are two of my favorite TFs EVER, I think one should follow the standard quoted here. I think if one doesn't, the artist ends up just sticking things together in hopes that it works. Also, with Transformers, the core concept is transformation. While the two TFs I cited are "partsformers", they are engineered WELL. Often times, I've seen artists create a partsformer forsaking the transformation altogether and it looks like a cobbled up mess.

I think the challenge I'd put for to you is to continue to bash TFs the way you do, but to work on how those parts flow together, both on an engineering level as well as an aesthetic one.

Good designs of Transformers pay attention to both the alt mode and the robot mode. In the world of Alt/BT customs, I've just seen two many customs that forsake the alt mode design to just make a robot mode "G1 accurate". That's all well and good if that's what makes one happy, but it doesn't mean that the piece itself is designed well.

I hope that helps man. Keep up the great work :thumb 

11. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    I say if it's a custom, anything goes.
    Personally, for my own collection I'm perfectly happy with a custom that is ready to sit on my shelf and not be touched til the day I die.
    Still to this day one of my all time favorite TF customs is Sculpt-Bot's Dev. Stat.

...hey that's me :bay  :lol 

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I don't hate parts-forming, but I prefer to avoid it - I think for the most part, with advances in toy-making technology, it's become less excusable to have to take the fig apart and reassemble it if it can be relatively easily made to transform while keeping it intact.

As for bashes, well, anything goes, really. Personally, I would say, as Hank did, that it's much more satifying to know that you've cobbled together a proper, working TF without parts-forming. But if you've exhausted your options and can't think of a way to do it, I certainly won't think any less of you if you need to remove the wings to switch them over.

I think I have a bigger issue nowadays with leftover parts - bits which are necessary for one mode, buit have nowhere to go in another. Like removeable fists that are stored... on the floor next to the vehicle. I definitely like to have somewhere to put those extra bits. Again, for kitbashes, I do my best not to give a figure gear in one mode that it can't carry in another.

13. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

i guess my definition was way off on parts formers. I wanted to know what yall think of tfs made from spare parts. not ones that have to be taken apart and put back together. sorry for the confusion. How do yall feel about tfs made from random bits but are turned into a fully transfomable single unit bot.

14. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    If they turn out as good as your Hodgepodge bash, then I'm all for it!!:thumbs2: 

15. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

For me I think its a great idea maybe the next generation of Transformers, but you'll never know.

16. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

You kiddin'? That's pretty much, if not actually then nearly, on a par with full-on scratchbuilding! It can be extremely difficult to get parts that weren't designed to work together to do so, so if you can take all those mismatched parts and make them into a cohesive whole, then frankly, :bowdown: .

17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:

You realize that that is the very DEFINITION of kit-bashing, right??