Question for MP-09 Owners...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Deceptijohn, Jun 8, 2011.

1. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

I feel that we got slightly shafted. There is no doubt that takara dropped the QC ball on this figures first run. Mine only had the minor issues which i fixed. That said i do not mess with it much. I fully intend on getting the Hasbro version though for the target master and the new deco and all of the issues should be fixed. Plus i think it will be fun to display one as Hotrod and one as Rodimus.

2. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Mate, seriously, not doing this out of grudge towards you, but stop correcting me about a figure *I* own for about 3 months, you don't, and has been the centrepiece of my collection since.

The orange panel [part of the flame pattern of the hood] does cover up the magenta headlight part pieces in robot mode, but they extend outwards to bulk things up in vehicle mode and when that is done, the orange panel doesn't cover more than a tiny inch of those parts. The matrix that comes with MP-09 is tiny because the front end of the car [bottom part of the chest] cannot accommodate anything large due to it's mechanism. The MP-01 matrix is about as big as that entire chest piece.

I'm sure many other owners of Rodimus will tell you the exact same thing. Only thing good about the "new" [MP-01] matrix in the hasbro rodimus is that he can hold it just like the movie, and looks cool enough with it, but there's no way he can store it. It's just an extra accessory piece, just like the axe\blaster\megatron on MP-01 Convoy. Nowhere to be integrated on his alt mode.

3. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    looking at what Deceptijohn done with his picture and at a picture of rodimus with the flap up side by side it looks like they could easily alter the cavity to fit the bigger matrix and the flap still cover it..

If it was me i would be well pissed that hastak are doing this

4. havanowoncheese

This is absolutely right. You cut those panels to put the bigger matrix in there will be ugly wholes in vehicle mode. The orange just barely covers the edge of the magenta plastic in vehicle mode.

5. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    i didnt read the above properly so maybe i'm wrong too

6. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    lol I didn't know you were so emotionally invested in that hunk o' plastic chief. No need to go on the offensive, I'm not insulting your mother. I guess we'll have to wait and see when more info on the Hasbro figure comes out, but I will be very surprised it there are two matrices in the package.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First off, I like the figure a lot and don't regret purchasing it. Second, mine doesn't have quite the issues that other people talk about, but I did use some clear nail polish to make some joints tighter. Third, I HIGHLY doubt the second round that Takara is releasing is really going to be the miracle cure for all the issues people think it will be. Four, I always suspected and knew just like everyone else that Hasbro was releasing him with the possibility of the targetmaster included, and I still bit the bullet risking it by buying the first Takara run.

So anyways to answer your question I don't feel like I bought a prototype or anything like that. However I still feel he really isn't- when thinking about complexity and material- worth $200. I don't feel like he's a good value, like, say buying Leader ROTF Prime or Buster Prime. So the only way he was worth that to me was to have the best Rodimus Prime figure when it was first released.

8. havanowoncheese

I want bring up hasbro said that since they were not including the trailer it would come with additional accessories. Obviously the target master and they may include both his matrix and the MP-01 matrix so you can pose him holding him as part of the additional accessories.

9. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I have no regrets buying MP roddy, nor do I feel like it's a prototype. I'll buy the Hasbro version as well. I look at is as spending $250 to have one MP Rodimus Prime and one MP Hot Rod. :) 

10. UltraMarknus

UltraMarknus Well-Known Member

I'm not going to lie...don't mind swallowing my pride. Hell yes, I regret it. If I'd known a fixed version was coming out, of course I would've waited. Mine has the dropping visor, almost impossible to attach backpack and just as impossible to attach the hand guns issues.

If it was a $150 toy, shipped, I would spring for the fixed version and have the flawed one in winnebago mode. It is actually a great looking, fun to fiddle with, toy.

This has nothing to do with the Hasbro version coming out. I think that thing looks ghastly.

11. GPTF01

GPTF01 Well-Known Member

i have had MP-09 sense it came out do not reget it and i have no issue at all. i will buy the hasbro vertion just so it can sit under the winibago trailer

i can even get all 4 wheels on the ground and roll in hot rod car mode with no clearance issues

and there is NO WAY the MP-01 matrix would fit in the chest of hot rod with out compleatly re-engineering the chest transfermation of hot rod. i do not thingk hasbro would put in that mutch effort just so you could put in the MP-01 matrix

12. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had no real problems with my MP-9 and am glad I got him, sure the Hasbro one looks nice, QC fixes are great and DAT TARGETMASTER!

I'd like to pick up the Hasbro one sometime if I can.

13. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did the same thing. I took that $200 and bought my ass a Hot Toys Iron Man Mark IV instead :) 

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I said, I doubt the next Takara run is going to fix much. The only way I would be impressed is if the next run:

- Allowed the chest to be pegged down so you could freely move his arms without it popping loose. This is not really a QC issue, just design annoyance, and it's one of the only things about mine that bother me.

-Fixed the back kibble to fold up nice and tight without using any force or outside adhesives

- Fixed the guns so they fit tight and secure in his hands

- made the leg and foot joints all move reasonably easy but still firmly

- made the leg panels fit and stay on better

- fixed the spoiler so it actually fits in the trailer with no scraping

I don't have all these issues but they are the main ones that I read causing a lot of people problems. In order to fix these things, they would have to remold some parts and use new material for others and be consistant with all of them. So, I just don't see that happening.

15. PowermasterJazz

PowermasterJazz Well-Known Member

No I don't feel bad about buying it at all. But I do feel like there are people who didn't buy it who are trying to make me feel bad. I could be mistaken.

16. doucoo

doucoo U're an idiot Starscream!

Ebay:
    I buy the takara version and leave it MISB.

Then buy the Hasbro version and open it.

Have always done that where I can.

17. malteselegacy

malteselegacy Galvatron

I have had no issues with mine. I transformed him once and have left him in the winnebago mode which is my favourite. The figure Hasbro is releasing is not Rodimus Prime. It is Hot Rod. If I wanted Hot Rod I would have gotten this version. I wanted Rodimus Prime and am very happy with my purchase.

18. Akroyer

Akroyer Well-Known Member

This is the first time I picked up a Takara MP, as well as when it first came out. Mine has the floppy goggles, back kibble that doesn't peg in, but does stay up. Guns wont stay in his hands. And his chest likes to unpeg. I have not transformed him, so I don't know about anything else. And he has a paint blemish on his spoiler. And the the trailer has the weird molding impressions on the sides.

Knowing all this and the cost of him (my most expensive single piece), with a second supposedly fixed version coming so soon, I think I should be annoyed at least. But, strangely I'm not. Maybe a little disappointed. And will likely be a little more wary next time.

But I have him posed as Rodimus Prime, and he looks fantastic. And I plan to get a US version for alt mode or Hot Rod mode.

19. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My MP9 chest is un-pegged too, surprisingly, I like it better this way as it tucks nicely to the waist. With the peg on, the bottom tip of his chest seem to stick out. The only 3 real issues with my MP9 are:
    1. the back pack clip.
    2. My Trailer has a series of footprint/depression marks.
    3. Paint and chrome with minor chips.

20. EightiesKid

EightiesKid G1 archivist

News Credits:
    Quality control

This is a fair question. I like my Takara MP Rodimus, but it does have some issues. I bought two, and gave one to my brother as a gift, which he completely loves. I may get the Hasbro version as well. I have mixed feelings on MP's in general, beautiful aesthetic designs, but the transformations can be so tedious that it sometimes isn't worth it for me.

Overall, if I had to do it over again, I might just get 1 of the takara version. I'll probably be more careful with future MP's. Not sure what to do about the new MP Optimus, high price tag so I'm still debating that one.