Question for MP-09 Owners...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Deceptijohn, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Deceptijohn

Deceptijohn Metallikato Master

News Credits:
    Do you feel like you paid top dollar for a prototype?

After the recent announcement and pics of the Hasbro version I got to thinking that there is no way the design changes weren't in place for the MP-09 reissue and the Hasbro version when the first production run was already being made. The release dates are too close to argue that they went back to the drawing board and restarted production AFTER the problems with the first release.

Combine the quality fixes with the added bonus of the Hasbro version having a new matrix(and new chest cavity to hold it) he can actually hold in his iconic movie pose(why didn't the Takara version use this design?) and I know I would be pretty pissed if I had bought a first run MP-09.

Seems to me like buying the first release of any Takara product has proven more than once to be a bad idea, but with the prices also creeping up my tolerance for paying to be a beta tester is quite diminished.

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:

The only issue *my* MP Roddy had was the chest tab being a little loose, which was fixed with a spot of glue.

But at that price, for a not particularly large TF with little die cast, i shoudln't even have had to do that.

Franky, i think Takara have lost the run of themselves. More money for less product.

3. tfike110

tfike110 G1ToyCollector

Ebay:
    i agree with you entirely on this. Glad I didnt get the first release of MP-09. I will def get teh hasbro release though.

4. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I have to admit that despite all the reported issues of breakage, I've yet to suffer any despite having transformed him several times.

Instead, I developed a problem that wasn't reported; namely, his ankle joints became so loose I had to fiddle around with them to get him stand up, but at the cost of extending the struts slightly so there's this stupidly big gap between his shins and his feet.

But are any of these problems bad enough to make me regret the purchase? Hmm, no, not really...I just wish there was something I could do about those ankles.

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm glad I waited for QC reviews and decided to not buy it at all. Now I'm doing that for all my toys, with the only exceptions being toys on their way to nearly being sold out, like TCC Ramjet and DOTM Vortex.

6. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Not a new matrix, it's the same one that came with masterpiece optimus prime. Plus, his chest cavity is NOT remoulded to accomondate that. It's impossible to use that matrix without an entirely new bottom chest part. There's very little space because of the way he transforms [sides slide out, front unhooks from below].

I'm really surprised the fandom is expecting major remoulds on this figure. I'm guessing they'll replace the screw\connector point on the side panels on his legs but that's it. Remember, the only thing Grimlock's later run had over the original was that they changed a screw type on his tail as to avoid chipping the chrome.

7. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't doubt that some improvements were made for the Hasbro version, but why do I get the feeling that people are going to find reasons to complain about that too when it comes out? Its a highly complex toy with a ton of moving parts that a company is making as cheaply as possible (meaning tolerances that are "acceptable" rather than perfect and the use of less than ideal materials......notice how little diecast we've seen since MP-01). Couple that with the fact that they're being made by the thousands in a Chinese factory, and I sometimes think people expect too much.

Sure, its all a racket, but other than the dollar menu at McDonalds and BK (how does the price of that stuff never go up......is it really meat?), what isn't these days.

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I feel a little scorned but this isn't the first time it has happened to me or many other collectors. I say only a little scorned because I keep him in bot mode, I got his back to stay together and I had no chin issues.

I was also banking on the American non trailer release which also eases the burn.

An example of this happening before is with the Movie 1 line. They released all the figures and then at the end of the line the rereleased them all with wicked paint aps.

Now I know its paint over actual QC issues but its the same kind of sting.

9. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    If you go look at the pics the side of the box says the matrix stores in his chest. There are not two matrices in the box so....And if you look at the chest it is possible to remove some material under the fold out that would allow more space for the new matrix.

here you go:

[​IMG]

10. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    Here's an illustration of what I mean about how it seems easy to redesign the chest to hold the larger matrix. I don't own the figure so it's hard to imagine what might be under there to interfere with this change, but I also can't imagine Hasbro lying on their box or putting two matrices in the box either.

Before and after:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't feel bad at all. When JP version 2.0 releases, I'll have had mine for at least 6 months. The US hasbro colors look terrible imo, so I'm not bummed about that. I still might pick one up for the bonuses and shove the figure in the trailer.

I knew what I was getting into when I bought my mp-09 and I didn't have any problems with it after watching a few youtube vids on how to handle/avoid issues. He's a great figure and it's cool that more people will get to enjoy a slightly enhanced version in a few months or less.

12. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Rodimus can come with both matrix accessories, why not? I don't see how the side of the box ad can be any indicative of the large matrix-there's a smaller matrix that does fit inside the chest. It's simply clever advertising, picturing the MP-1 matrix with the advertising features of the MP-9 one.

I've had mine since a few weeks after release, I'm telling you there's NO way the MP-1 matrix can fit in his chest, even with the blackened parts you photoshopped. Moreover, every single inch of the parts you photoshopped shows up in vehicle mode, I doubt they'd have a car mode with two blank spots on the very front of the hood.

13. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i have mp-09, i would buy it again if i had the chance, mine has no problems and i love the toy

14. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I own the first run and, no, I don't feel like I bought a prototype. I feel like I got lucky, but other than that, I find it to be a fine piece.

The plastic quality isn't perfect, I admit, but the engineering is rather impressive.

And if you think the Hasbro Masterpiece won't break, you're sorely mistaken.

15. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I pre-ordered soon after MP-09 was first pre-orderable. I've had the figure in hand since Feb. and despite all reports of horrible qc, I have seen very little, if any, of those qc issues with my figure. How can I be pissed off that I decided to purchase a first run figure? To be honest I'm perfectly happy with my MP-09 and honestly think it's the best or dam close to the best MP figure to date. The only thing I would have been happier with is if the price was a bit lower, but I decided to buy at that price so I have no right to complain at this point.

16. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My MP-09 is fine, and if I bought a prototype, it certainly doesn't feel that way. Could it have been better? Sure. But is it bad? Hell no. It's a great figure with a boatload of features and fantastic engineering.

The only mod I did to my MP-09 is filing down excess paint from the trailer slot for the wings, to avoid paint scraping. That took all of 10 minutes.

Hasbro's Rod is missing a LOT of paint steps, and the trailer is really cool, so I really don't regret my purchase, even with Hasbro's Rodimus in sight.

17. Deceptijohn

News Credits:
    There is a panel that folds down to completely cover the area I altered in alt mode and robot mode.

18. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same, and I made the decision to do that to avoid a *possible* issue. I didn't try the fit so mine could have been fine from the beginning, but I didn't want to risk it.

The filing is barely noticeable anyways, and removes 100% of the possible trailer/figure combination problems.

19. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My gut feeling is telling me hasbro's lying on the box :lol  unless he comes with both matrix, and the tiny one is already inside the chest.

20. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me, if I know MP9 version 2 would come out, I would not purchase MP9 version 1. Yes, in that case I totally regret it. However, when compare MP9 version 1 to Hasbro Rodimus, I have no regret at all. Hasbro Rodimus paint application is just horrible. I'm only getting the Hasbro version for my MP9 Winnebago mode filler.