Question for MIB/MISB G1 Collectors

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Auto Morph, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

How important is the condition of the box for those of you that collect G1 figures MIB or MISB?

For me, a good condition box is ESSENTIAL. For example, on a boxed (as opposed to carded) toy, I cannot have any kind of flap crease along the back of the box whatsoever. Nor will I go near anything that has had the tech specs or robot points cut. I also require all inner packaging to be present, ie backing card, bubble and any inner bubbles/plastic trays/cardboard inserts as applicable.

I won't even go for an Autobot car on eBay if I can't see that it comes with the small plastic tray that it sits on inside the bubble. Likewise, my Scorponok and Fort Max boxes are complete with all polystyrene crossbars and covers.

I won't accept torn box end flaps or windows with holes in them either.

Some may say I'm waaaaaaaay too fussy, but to me it's all about 2 things: display value and nostalgia.
    I want to look at my boxed G1 collection in my TF room and feel like I was in a toy shop 25 years ago. I also want that collection to look clean and neat and not tatty with torn boxes, yellowed bubbles or box headers that just hang down.

I am just as fussy when it comes the other lines I collect, but especially with the age of G1 boxes I like to own ones that have been well looked after and are in near-pristine condition.

So who out there shares my views, or are you quite happy to use repro bubbles, or boxes with sun damage, or worse (IMO) to use KOs alongside an authentic figure?

(btw I'm not judging anyone AT ALL, I am just curious to see what people's opinions are or if I am just a bit odd)

2. unmc2001

unmc2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like to have my boxes in good condition but I do not mind a flap crease as long as the flap stands up still. I like the repro bubbles more than the originals because most of the original bubbles have rips on the cardboard. I even prefer the new trays that the autobot cars from encore or ehobby are in because you can place accessories in the tray. I even sold my original Mirage and kept the KO because I like tampo over stickers.

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Won't use repro or KO, but I can cope with the odd crease/slight wear here and there. These are now 25+ years old.

I personally can't find the pleasure in being too obsessive about condition of packaging, but then again, I am pretty generous when it comes to general wear/"used" condition on my loose figs too.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want anything falling apart/missing bits/bad paint wear etc - but do I mind that my toys looked played with? Nah. As you say, it's about nostalgia, and as a child I spent a lot more time with loose/worn figures than in the toyshop gazing at "mint" packaged toys.

I also find such figures (I guess on the "old" toy scale I'd accept a c-7/c-8 in my collection, dependent on toyline and figure) display just fine.

I realise your original question was about sealed boxes and not loose, but as I approach both with the same mentality, I thought I'd broaden my answer!

4. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i with you 100% on misb c9+ box condition. i will not except anything crease or damage. its one REALLY BIG HEADACHE trying to get these near mint boxes. often times i have to complain, return, email sellers many times about are they factory sealed, no damage, and can they packed the item very well to prevent damage. sometimes double box an item. its no fun to get near mint pieces. but once you get the near mint piece its worth it. i do buy ko and real transformers though.

5. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    I'm not that serious about MIB figures, but the minimum I want in a box is it to be uncut, all intact side flaps, a top flap that somewhat stands up, intact cellophane, and a mostly good looking box face. I don't mix 'n' match with KO stuff, so I avoid the KO bubbles/inserts.

6. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'm more concerned about the figure itself then the box. But having a complete box is nice to display behind the figure.

7. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I'm a MIB/MISB person so yeah, the overall package matters ALOT to me. :D 

But if I'm in the mood of getting something to open up/a second piece to play/display etc. then I'm probably not too bothered by the condition of its packaging. That said, the condition of the toy & price will outweigh all else superficial. :lol 

8. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Nah that's cool I was actually referring to both sealed and opened boxes anyway.

But it's interesting what you say - I guess it does have an impact on what the word 'nostalgia' means for you. I obviously did spend too much time in toy shops gazing, or at least that's what I remember. I did play with my figures a lot too, but I just love the feeling of having them all lined up in matching boxes together, really giving the feel of a proper 'collection' in the truest sense of the word.

Maybe some may see me as a bit of a packaging snob? I hope I'm not, I just feel that I respect the whole 'package' as it were, and not just the toy that comes inside it.

Likewise, an empty package in pristine condition means very little to me, if anything at all. The figure and the box together and how they're presented is what I look for I guess. Any damage or lack of authenticity just taints the overall feeling I get from it.

9. Jazz Meister

Jazz Meister Well-Known Member

I like mind in the best condition possible I don't mind creases in the flap as long as it still stands up. I do not like reissue or KO boxes or bubbles. The worst is cut robot points and techs to me its like having a box that is torn or ripped.

10. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    I'm quite anal about it :lol  As good condition as I can get, no flap crease (I hate those). I can cope with the odd ding here and there but it needs to be almost perfect. Nothing cut either.

I'm a MISBer as well (very few MIB) so yeah, it gets pricey :lol 

11. Orion P

Orion P Cybertronian P.I.M.P.

I don't mind a flap crease as long as it doesn't droop down. Tech specs and Robot points are a must. Most of my american G1 don't have the inner bubble, but my japanese G1 are in crispy clean boxes with the styro.

12. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I always wondered if vintage MISB collectors are paranoid, I know I would be. I would always wonder if the toys had all of their accessories and if the figure was free from defects. I would hate to drop $1500 or whatever on a MISB Fort Max only to find out it has two left legs.

13. TransFan1996

TransFan1996 Well-Known Member

I like the way you collect, same for me but the box can be missing the crosbars and have minor flap crease

14. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Surely it wouldn't matter as you would never get to find out. Heck the box could be stuffed with carrots for all you knew!

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I only collect MIB/MOc with everything orignal, inserts,bubbles box etc etc. I can take a few ding here and there on the box and some boxes are impossible to find in perfect condition unless you go G1 MISb and I will not drop that cash ona toy.

The moc ones are much much harder to find.

Besides all my toys are from my loose colelcten that was carefully bought and everything is in mint condition.

I will however change a and hunt for a few boxes once I get a bigger place and can display them all.

16. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

I like my boxes flawless. The reason is I like them to look timeless. A prestine display was always my goal. Unfortunately when I bought my car in 02 I sold some of the best misb toys I owned. Targetmasters, headmasters, g1 cars, seekers and many more went bye-bye to pay cash for the car. I still own some if the greatest condition misb stuff on the planet, AFA 90 Browning, flawless Grand Max, Star Convoy, overlord, Deszaras bla bla bla. But I could never replace the sold ones for Sane money. I regret it severely, unless I am driving my car. This is why I am just making the boxes. They will be more prestine than I ever purchase, and I can have my perfect display with the pride I made them myself.

[​IMG]

17. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    very true, it worries me sometimes. but i just try not to think about it. ive seen this happen about 15 years ago at my local toysrus. i bet it happens much more now. what happen was i was waiting at the refund booth. this father and kid came in behind me to return a power rangers big boxed zord. the father was pretty angry. so to make a long story short. the power rangers box was opened by a previous retuner. the zord took out and it was filled up with lots of rocks to fill in for the weight. looks like it made it back to the shelf and the kid bought it. brought it home and found a few pieces of rocks with no toy inside. imagine if we bought a misb transformer. then waited 15 years to open the box and find rocks inside. whoops no retrns after 15yrs. thats my worst nightmare in getting misb. but i do get most from bbts or tf. except the ko ones. i guess we just have to trust the good faith ko sellers to hold thier side of the bargins.

18. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    excellent work BM

19. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

thanks. I hope one day I can get an official license from Hasbro when I have a large collection of the boxes done, and help out box collectors on the cheap. Knock the knock off companies from their monopoly.

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Seconded.

All they need is the corners of the top flap rounded off and they'd look almost perfect (IMO).

You got any more to show?