Question for G1 fans

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Magnus12, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Magnus12

Magnus12 Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, all of u G1 fans out there, were u tf fans through out your teens? Just wondering, because there wasn't much of tf at that period of time.
    :D 

2. GBglide

GBglide Furst Fanatic

I was 14 when G1 started in '84 So I was in my 20's in the nineties when TF looked like it was dead.

3. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I was ten when I started collecting back in 86. I stopped in 92 when the Marvel UK comic stopped plus I was hitting 16 so felt too old for toys. I have kept collecting comics since then. Batman Returns really got me into the Batman comics.

I did pick up the UK G2 comics. The competition to win 33 G2 Tf's was tempting. I ogled that pic of the Stormtroopers for years. Finally completed their team last year.

It was Dreamwave and the G1 reissues that got me back into Tf's in 2002. Can't believe it's 9 years.

4. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was 16 in 1991 when the Marvel comic ended, and I was already buying virtually no toys by then. I kept the love alive by writing bad fanfic for several years, but I confess I was underwhelmed by Generation 2 (didn't even buy all of the Marvel series, had to pick up half of it in back issue bins years later) and was unimpressed by Beast Wars. I did eventually give Beast Wars a fair shake (and discovered it was pretty awesome), but it wasn't until some time in 1999 that I bought BW Tarantulas and thus restarted the toy-buying.

5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I sure was.

6. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

no season 5 of g1 transformers

7. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Absolutely. There wasn't much media out, but I kept many of my old figures, had an Optimus Prime displayed on my television, and still read all my old comics...and that was about it. But I still considered myself a fan, doing the best I could.

8. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    There may not have been (m)any TF releases during my teen years, but I still had all my G1 toys and comics to keep my love for the brand alive.

9. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Was still a fan at heart, but definitely had more important priorities than continuing to pay attention to or collect toys. Plus, for me anyway, there just wasn't anything to pay attention to during the years between G1 and the eventual advent of Classics, Masterpieces, the Rhino DVDs, eBay and Dreamwave's revival comics umpteen years later. As far as I was concerned, G2 sucked, Beast Wars really sucked, and A/E/C/RiD were all entirely too embarrassing to even acknowledge as existing.

10. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    I went through a part of my life where it wasn't at my forefront (mostly when I started looking at women who weren't Sailor Scouts), and then of course when Yugioh came out. However, it was always a relevant hobby of mine. It just stopped being all I thought about, type of deal.

11. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    I think I put G1 down around 14 due to the lack of the toon. The toys didn't impress me anymore either.

12. Wikkid

Wikkid Semi-retired customizer

Started watching G1 in 84 when I was 8. Always loved Transformers through my teen years but I kept it buried like some kinda deep, dark secret.

13. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I kept watching the movie. Wrote some fan fic. I was more into star wars in that period though

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I wished I could say that I had just kept on collecting until this day, but I can't. When the '89 Batman film came out, I REALLY got into comics. TMNT continued to fuel that interest, and I moved on to many other comics and characters during my teenage years. I actually got into "toy collecting" through the Playmates Star Trek: The Next Generation toys. I still remember seeing Micromasters and G2 stuff on clearance at KayBee during those days (*kicks myself*).

I never "disliked" Transformers, but I just wasn't into them during my teens.

15. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

From the ages of about 6 to 12 I was a hardcore fan (would have been '84 to '90). After that, I suppose with G1 ending it all just faded away really and I never got into Beast Wars later on in the '90s. I would say I didn't get back into TFs properly until my early twenties once I had left university and RiD was around. Never saw the cartoon but bought a couple of the toys.

Then in around 2002-2004 (my mid twenties) witht the commemorative reissues of the G1 figures and the first MP Prime, I was back in all the way and the rest is history as they say...

16. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I fell when middle school rolled around, but got back into it at age 19 in college. I found a guy who sold me the complete set of episodes on VHS. Good times

17. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I was 4 in 1984 when TFs were first released, and by the age of 11 (1991) was about done with them. Got back into TF at the age of 18 (1998), so the last couple of my teenage years was "into them".

18. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Nope, I stopped all of that until the late ninties, before the third season of BW started was when I came back.

19. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Well my teens were during the early-late 90s, and while we didn't get a lot of G1 toys, that was the time I first saw the Japanese TF series, Headmasters, Masterforce and Victory, so that got me continuing until Beast Wars came out :)  Definitely more into comics during that time though, which was really a huge craze during that time.

20. darkunor

darkunor Banned

Watched my first episode (Heavy Meatal Wars) in 85 as a five year old and it was love at first sight. I collected up until I was about 14 then moved over to boarding school, didn't have much time to collect , studying and all and I think G1 was not available then it was the fugly G2 toys. At 18 I got back into the collecting game I had loads of money and now could afford any TF I wanted that I couldn't afford as a kid , exclusively G1 and Masterpieces!