question for g1 collectors

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by mac&cheese, Jan 16, 2011.

1. mac&cheese

mac&cheese Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi I did a search and could not find the old thread about this, I know it was mention awhile ago. Today I went to a local vintage toy shop and I was still amaze at how good quality these so old 80s g1 transformers were. They still look so modern in my opinion. I think they looked even better than all of these newer classics and generations line. The old g1s has diecast pieces, and they were just plain awsome. So now that ive seen these at a vintage toy shop, I want to get them all sooner or later. My question is how many g1 pieces were there made of each character from season 1 to the end of g1?

2. Deadsled

Deadsled Energon Recovery

News Credits:
    back in the days of G1 you pretty much only got one of each character. with only a hand full of repaints as separate characters. however there was also power master prime, and target masters (kup/blurr/hotrod come to mind), which were the same toys as the original non-target master versions, pretenders and action masters. i'm sure someone on here can tell you exactly how many different molds (brought in from several sources i.e. diaclone) there were back then.

i'd suggest browsing the resources section:
    http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/transformers-generation-1-3/

3. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You're best bet is to check out either the transformers wiki, or unicron.com... The wiki is my favorite for this sort of thing, and it includes character appearance lists for each and every episode of the G1 cartoon, as well as lists of each figure available each year. Unicron.com has a page for each year's releases starting with 1984 running along the right side of the page. Unicron is more graphical, but the wiki is more informative...

Transformers Wiki - G1 toyline

Unicron.com 1984 toys

And as far buying them eventually, I would highly suggest looking into the tfc, encore and hasbro commemorative reissues (in order of recommendation) in order to save a little cash. A lot of people are nuts for g1 vintage, but me personally, I'd rather spend less for a perfect, nearly identical reissue than more for an old, slightly beat up (or ungodly expensive misb) loose toy... Just sayin'.

4. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    You won't want those. Get knockoffs instead.

5. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    :lol 

6. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    1,644 posts and only now you are getting into G1 ?

Colour me surprised.

Personally I like the Masters era stuff and Pretender and that sort of thing more than 1984 - but i'm weird like that.

7. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    Lol! I will get the real deal as I always do, but for the ones hasbro didn't Remake or don't want to make then ko is fine. But yeah g1s rule real or ko. They look like a transformer then it's a transformer.

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Wait till you get to wanting to collect Vintage JAPANESE TF's...:ev: 

9. StephX77

StephX77 Well-Known Member

What local toy shop did you visit? I live in Maryland too and am just curious as I have never been in a vintage toy shop around here

10. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

11. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    ^:lolol  This and more! Brain melt. :/

12. mac&cheese

News Credits:
    Yes the japanese tf is so rare, it's going to get costly. I don't know too much about those yet. Thanks for the warning. In Maryland it's the big toy exchange. They have so much 60s,70s,80s trains, diecast stuff, hot wheels, figures,star wars, very old unknown robots kind of crap. Btw if anyone on this site needs anything from them let me know. I can pick it up for you, for a tiny handling and my time fee.

13. darkunor

darkunor Banned

So true, classics never go out of fashion but I think it was only the season 1 and 2 figures that were given this die-cast treatment, they were more of collectors items than toys but post movie onwards they were all virtually plastic, I remember when I started recollecting in the late 90's and my mum walked in on me transforming a couple of headmasters, upon witnessing this, she commented; "these look cheap compared to the ones we used to buy you when you were little". This is someone who has no interest in transformers whatsoever!! It was that noticeable!

As for whether they're better than the classics, I'd certainly lean more towards G1, surely they can't compete with classics in terms of articulation and toon accuracy, but, man, the quality of those the G1 figures were (are) outstanding considering the time they were made in and let's not forget technology then was not the same as it is now, could you imagine the classics line being done again but with die-cast metal parts? That would be awesome!

I totally agree with G1 figures not looking outdated with the exceptions of maybe soundwave and blaster with cassettes being obselete and all but still to those guys being those alt modes are just as iconic as prime being a truck or megatron being a handgun. For this reason I just couldn't fathom why they felt they needed to update kup, I was never a fan of that cybertronian truck but then again I can't remember the last time I saw a cybertronian truck, let alone an outdated one, lol!

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    what you could do is find a copy of the 1985 Transformers catalog (here's a link to the Autobot side of it):
    Google Image Result for http://www.tfarchive.com/toys/mistransformed/images/1985_catalog_autobots.jpg

and use it as a checklist for the 84-85 figures. and then just look for the toy catalogs from 1985 to 1989/1990.

that way, you not only have a checklist, you have a handy recognition guide as you wander into stores.

Personally, these toy catalogs look awesome to collect as well.

i don't have the 1984 catalog handy, i can't remember if the 3 Omnibots are in it or not.
    and there's also the mail away camera Reflector set to not overlook as well.

just a suggestion. wprked for me and i wish they'd do this again now.

15. [Wing_Saber-X]

News Credits:
    ^No prob! :ev: 
    Oh and linky to the toys list for all Japanese TF's lines...
    Because you asked..:D 
    Japanese Transformers

16. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    If your just starting to collect g1 then you better have deep pockets. loose original samples are ok but like others have said the japanese lines get very expensive, especially mib.

17. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

I hope you don't plan on getting a new car or a house anytime soon. If you do than you may want to avoid the Masters and the Japanese ones. >.>

I has no new car...

~Z

This is about $3k-$4k+ depending on the market here alone in this picture...
    [​IMG]
    Not pictured - Metrotitan, Sky Garry, and a slew of Headmasters

18. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

The Omnibots were mail away figures as well

19. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
  20. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Does BBTS carry those? :p