Question for Customizing DotM Shockwave

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Jul 21, 2012.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

So I've had this Shockwave for a while now and I first I hated the design but now I've kinda realized that I really only hate his rib cage chest. I want to customize him but I've never done anything like this before. Basically I'm looking for advice on how I can remold his chest piece to something a little more recognizable as Shockwave.

Is there any way I can melt down the plastic and reshape it?

Do I have to build something from scratch?

What's the best way to go about doing this for someone who's never worked with molding plastic before.

I have a couple other ideas for him too like swapping his arms around so the screws aren't facing forward and possibly removing the horns on his feet. I haven't really decided on that one yet.

The hardest part about this for me and just figuring out how I'm going to give him a proper chest in place of that stupid rib cage and I don't want to try anything too drastic for fear he won't have a chest at all if I screw it up. So I thought I'd ask on here for the best way to go about this.

The attached image is just a digibash mock up of approximately what I want it to look like when I'm done.

Attached Files:

2. Carpool

Carpool Well-Known Member

Heres what you can do...you can take this crummy, useless "space tank" and a saw him into tiny pieces so that no one may ever experience the sorrow of owning his inarticulate ass ever again! That would be awesome. If however youre one of the few people that like this mold use a substance called "Green Stuff" thats like a glue / liquid to solid plastic. It goes on thick and dries like a plastic thats paintable, somewhat shapeable and its kind of cheap. Its easily gotten at just about any modelling store. Heck, my comic book shop carries this stuff. Its very easy to use and dries pretty quick. Short of taking a saw and chopping away thats the best thing I can think of for you....besides setting this abomination on fire and just buying a proper WFC mold and modding it instead.

3. micky24

micky24 Well-Known Member

this,if you really hated the mod,i suggest that you dont get this and not use this,use some other shockwave figures and mod them instead,in that way,it would be easier and would require you less modding.

4. HaZe

HaZe Well-Known Member

Green stuff is more like a putty. Not a liquid. Works great. And shouldn't effect the transformation.
    Looks to me the pic you posted used a peace from a difrent shockwave and glued it on.
    Don't melt down plastic. It makes it brittle and you will destroy the figuer.

5. noblekale

noblekale There can be only one!

Ebay:
    Best advice is CAREFUL PLANNING! If you're wanting him to retain the transformation, you have to make damn sure everything fits in every hole when you're done. (That's what she said!) Use the ribs as a guide, slop the green stuff on and get a nice flat V style going in the shape of the ribs, then sand that down flat before adding the details you want. But, if you don't care about transforming it, then by all means, just have a party with the beast. Personally, I like this mold, despite its flaws, and probably one of the few who LIKES the ribs. But, my mod was to take the chest off, paint a piece of white styrene light purple, cut it to fit and place it inside the ribs so there's a light purple "glow" between his ribs. Maybe I'm nuts, but I think that seriously increases the menacing factor of the figure.

6. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Gads. I actually really like the figure and consider it one of the best released for the movie trilogy. Love the bot mode and really appreciate the tank mode even though he never transformed on screen.
    Besides, he asked for help, not hate-filled opinion.

Anyway, don't use green stuff as a base. It's only good as filler and in detail adding. I use it for sculpting, but for mechanical parts it isn't the best.
    Start by mapping out exactly what you want and use paper cut-outs to size the pieces you need.
    Once that's done, use plasticard/styrene to get the pieces you need and build from there. There are many tutorials here that explain how to use styrene, so those may be of help.

BTW- there is a liquid form of green stuff that brushes on and is used as a type of bondo to fill imperfections and edges.

7. SaberPrime

Yeah for the Digibash I took the chest of FoC Shockwave and stuck it on there but I can't do that with the real one sense it's a deluxe and would actually be way too small.

I am getting the FoC Shockwave but I'm not going to costumize him because he's already perfect as is.

I just want to either build a new chest or something that I can attach to the ribs that will give it that sort of look. Anyway, I've gotten a few good suggestions. I'll see if I can find either the green stuff (is that seriously what it's called it sounds like a general description), plasticard, or styrene.

Also in case you didn't already know I'm color blind. I was kinda hoping there was a way to reshape the plastic that's already there so I wouldn't have to do any painting. I cheated on the digibash and used the color selector to grab the color from the ribs to repaint the piece I added on. Not something I can do in real life. I don't have any way to cheat it. I'll have to get my dad to help me color match the paint. The new chest piece is going to be the same color as the ribs are.

8. SaberPrime

I thought I should post an update here. I've been meaning to ever sense I found out about Prime Shockwave but keep forgetting about it. Anyway...

I can't find the stuff you were talking about anywhere to mold his new chest with but I'm kinda glad I didn't because then I would of had to figure out how to mold the chest myself. Sense there's a Prime version of Shockwave that's in scale with Dark of the Moon... sort of... I don't know if the chest would actually fit... I was thinking about rather than sculpting a new chest, if I could possibly use the beast armor chest plate as like a mold to create a copy of his normal chest. Like just stick that on Dark of the Moon Shockwave with something between the beast armor and the rib cage. Remove any extra material that comes threw the slots in his ribs, carefully remove the beast armor so as the stuff stays on Shockwave's chest to harden, and possibly remove any excess that came out of the sides.

If the inside of the Beast Armor isn't actually shaped correctly for his normal chest, I would assume it is to fit over his chest properly, but if it isn't I could just stick something over Prime Shockwave to create the mold of his chest and then use that the same way I would of used his beast armor.

The idea is just to use it as a mold to recreate Prime Shockwave's chest for his Dark of the Moon counterpart. Whatever I end up using to make the mold would be tossed away once the new chest was in place. The whole reason of creating a mold is so I don't have to strip Prime Shockwave for parts and buy two of them so if I have to stick something on him to recreate his chest I don't want it to ruin the toy. The beast armor would be the preferred mold because if I ruin that, I was never intending to ever put it on Shockwave anyway.

So the stuff that was mentioned before in this thread... the green stuff... whatever it's called. Could it be used this way? Is Prime Shockwave even in scale, chest wise, to cover the entire rib cage of his DotM counterpart? I know they're both Voyager class figures but Prime might be too wide or too skinny and then is chest wouldn't fit properly anyway.