Question for Classics collectors?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by UKBrawn, Jan 28, 2010.

1. UKBrawn

UKBrawn Intergalactic Tin Opener

I dont own any of the classics Transformers, by that I mean the "updated versions" of the g1 characters. Well except for legends Brawn anyway.

I was wondering if it was worth starting to collect them, some of them like the henkei Hound look really cool, but some like Ironhide perhaps not so.

Basically I just wanted some thoughts from people who do have them, whether they were happy with the figs, which ones they got. Which to avoid and basically if it is worth gettign them even though its only a select few of the g1 characters rather than them all.

Do you collect the hasbro or henkei?

The only other thing is are they even available at decent prices anymore?

Man thanks.
    Tin hands.

2. F18Starscream

F18Starscream Commander of the Skies

News Credits:
    Classics (Hasbro or Henkei)

I have most of the line except for a few that I'd missed. The only Henkei version I have is the awesome Cycolnus. In my opinion if you can get them at a decent price get them they are great. It all depends on which line you want, but all in all get them none the less. Hope that helps.:wink: 

3. F18Starscream

News Credits:
    To me it's worth every penny if you can afford it good luck friend.:thumbs2:  I bought two of everything that came out at the time except a few I'd I passed up (Stupid of me) Out of all of them my favorite is: Jetfire, Inferno, the seekers, Ultra Magnus, and my favorite of course is Cycolnus (I have two looking for three)

4. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    I collect them, and I'm very happy with all of them, even Ironhide (even though it could have been better). They are well articulated, with neat alt modes, and yet remain close enough to their original counterparts to be instantly identifiable.

My personal preferences for Classics/Universe 2.0/Henkei are as follows:

Optimus Prime (Voyager) - Henkei (silver grille and bumper, overall cleaner paint job)
    Megatron (Voyager) - Classics (Henkei paint scheme doesn't really work on the mold, IMO)
    Jetfire (Voyager) - Classics (Henkei paint job is too bland)
    Ultra Magnus (Voyager) - Classics (Henkei version does not exist)
    Bumblebee - Classics (Henkei paint job is too bland)
    Cliffjumper - Classics (Henkei version does not exist)
    Mirage - Classics (Henkei paint job is too bland)
    Starscream - Henkei (considerably better paint job)
    Ramjet - Classics (Henkei paint job is too bland)
    Grimlock - Classics (too much chrome on Henkei)
    Exclusive seekers - may be too expensive for your liking, except for Hasbro Skywarp, which is nice; I have the Henkei versions (and Hasbro Skywarp)
    Acid Storm - Universe (Henkei version does not exist)
    Galvatron - Universe (too much chrome on Henkei)
    Sunstreaker - Henkei (much better paint job)
    Sideswipe - Universe (Henkei doesn't come with jet pack)
    Prowl - Henkei (Universe had sticky paint issues)
    Silverstreak - Universe (much better paint scheme)
    Smokescreen - Henkei (much better paint scheme)
    Hound - Henkei (much better paint scheme)
    Red Alert - Henkei (Universe version does not exist)
    Inferno - Henkei (much nicer shade of red)
    Onslaught - Henkei (personal preference in color scheme)
    Silverbolt - Henkei (personal preference in color scheme)
    Powerglide - Henkei (personal preference in color scheme)
    Cyclonus - Henkei (personal preference in color scheme)
    Octane - Henkei (personal preference in color scheme)
    Ironhide - Henkei (personal preference in color scheme)
    Ratchet - Henkei (personal preference in color scheme)

Music Label Soundwave and Device Label Ravage fit with the Classics figures perfectly. Titanium Scourge is also a nice fit.

5. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

For me, the Classics/Universe line has insired me to sell my G1s (when I get around to it, eventually). They are overall very nice updates to classic characters.

6. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I love em. They're very well done toys, and pretty much all of them that I can think of off the top of my head have spent a lot of time at my desk rather than on the shelf. And still come back down pretty often.

Mine are all Hasbro, since I'm not wild about the price on Henkeis, but I also got them all at retail - Hasbro vs Henkei, price wise, may be a bit closer now, and a lot of the Henkei versions look a lot better.

I think Grimlock might be the only one that disappointed me. I'd say to skip that and just get the MP Grimlock. He'll be bigger than your Classics, for sure, but... isn't he supposed to be? :) 

7. catz

catz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    it's worth every penny
    So far I got
    Optimus - Henkei
    Sunstreaker - Henkei
    Sideswipe
    Hound - Henkei
    Ratchet - Henkei
    Ironhdie - Henkei
    Inferno - Henkei
    Prowl - Henkei
    Bumblebee - Henkei
    Cliffjumper
    Ultra Magnus
    Minibots - Henkei
    Spyteam - Henkei
    Grimlock - Henkei
    Jetfire

Megatron - Henkei
    Starscream - Henkei
    Galvatron
    Cyclonus
    Skywarp
    Onslaught
    Nemesis Prime
    Octane
    Acid Storm
    Astrotrain - Henkei

geez, so many bots, not enough cons @_@

8. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Utterly amazing line of toys, worth every penny. :thumb 

9. F18Starscream

News Credits:
    The ones I'm missing: OP, Astrotrain, Bumblebee, Cliffjumper, Mirage, Red Alert,

10. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have at least 1 of every mold.
    All classics/universe. Couldn't see paying more for the Japaneese versions.
    Reprolabels.com has some awesome upgrade decals for these figures too.
    They make up for a lot of the G1 details Hasbro left out.
    The set they did for Hound is incredible, it even includes cassette decals for Ravage.

11. starsaber888

starsaber888 Well-Known Member

i tend to go for henkei because i find their paint scheme more cartoon accurate overall. for cyclonus, the classics version is more toy accurate whereas henkei is more cartoon accurate.

its hard to pick a favourite cos most of the figures from this line are pretty good. great articulations and some neat transformations.

whichever version you go for, they are basically the same toy, just go with the paint scheme you like better. if you like chrome then go with henkei.

some figures are quite expensive now, such as henkei hound (probably one of the best - along wth cyclonus - figure from the line) , red alert and hot rod. also the exclusives such as henkei thundercracker, skwarp, dirge and thrust are always expensive.

if i am a new collector then i will start with sunstreaker, sideswipe and henkei starscream as they can be found at decent prices and they are very good figures.

also check out reviews on youtube to compare the 2 versions.

12. MC Rap Throne

MC Rap Throne unknown member

News Credits:
    I'm only missing some exclusives (disruptor mirage, those weird minicons, Strafe), Powerglide and Onslaught in my Henkei collection. It's addictive.

I pretty much had gave up on collecting TFs when I got the three botcon seekers as payment for some artwork I did for FunPublications. I thought they were so awesome that I decided to collect them.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i have one of every character, except bb and cj i have the deluxe and legends versions, worth every penny, and i'll keep buying them as they get released, worth every penny

14. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    Some of the 2006 toys seem a little simple in terms of detailing and complexity.
    2008 line, more complex, more detail... but some still seem a little lacking in detail and complexity.

Inferno, the Sunsteaker/Sideswipe mold, Jetfire and (Voyager) Prime are probably the stand outs.

Galvatron... is a source of frustration to many. They tried to reduce a Voyager class toy into a Deluxe and quite a few have problems.

15. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard @DiabraveSid

News Credits:
    Awesome set, I've been collecting for 25 years and I have some of the rare G1 boxed, Japanese items, MIB Fort Max...etc...etc... The Classics / Henkei toys are the ones I have on display. Not perfect, but darn close, and very good for customising too.

16. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

If you're interested in collecting the Classics/Universe 2.0 figures - START IMEDIATELY!

The figures are all awesome (with some that are medioucre at best, like Ironhide and Galvatron IMO), but because of their popularity they already cost 2-3 times their retail price (depending on the figure). If you go with the loose (out of the box) figures, the prices are mostly OK.

As for which ones to get - Hasbro or Takara - it will depend on your taste and funds. But there are some figures that you will have to buy as Henkeis. For instance, Prowl and Silverstreak, they both have sticky paint and smudges in the Universe line, while Henkei versions are OK.

Here's a Classics/Universe - Henkei comparison thread, it will be of great help, I think:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...torial-comparisons-warning-lots-pictures.html

17. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've bought all Classics 1.0 mould, but sold some. Ones I really care are Rodimus (had to get Henkei after breaking Classics version), Bumblebee and Nemesis Prime (technically 2.0, though). As for 2.0, I bought some Henkei versions, again, sold some. I like Inferno, Cyclonus and Galvatron (yes I do!), and I LOVE Onslaught. Generally Classics 2.0 moulds don't appeal to me like 1.0 did. I am not a G1 collector if that matters.

18. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT

News Credits:
    Fortunately, my Universe Silverstreak has no paint issues whatsoever and it's JAWESOME!

19. juise

juise TFW2005 Token Negro

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I have all the Classics minus the stupid store exclusive repaints, and stuff that the Henkei was just far superior (like Prime, Megatron, Ironhide, etc). Of all the toys in my collection I'm the most pleased with my classics. They are truely retro feeling characters with awesome modern day articulation. Not to mention all the 3rd party must have accessories for the line like City Commander Armor, G3 Trailer, Superion add-on, and now the Bruticus add-on!

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I've got pretty everything except for the really expensive exclusives.

Later figures in the line like Hound and Cyclonus are just amazing figures and you tell how the designers were taking what they had done before to really step up their game on the line. The early figures are a bit of a mixed bag as some of the sculpting still holds up really well and some figures just look rather old and outdated already. For all the insanity over the Seeker mold it just doesn't look that good now compared to Cyclonus but Astrotrain still looks like a good figure.

I guess my advise would be to look at some pictorial reviews of the figures before putting down the money on them. Some are going to look worth every penny and other figures may end up being a pass as you look for something better to take it's place. Sort of like you might want to skip Nerf gun Megatron.