Question for Botcon non-attendees that want the toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Insane Galvatron, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    If you are a club member, you can get the 5 figure set for $250. If you are not a club member, it'll cost you $290-$300.

If someone were going to the con, but didn't want the toys, could he get around $350 for the 5 figure set and the free 6th figure?

The reason I ask is because I know someone that wants to go and is thinkin go just going general admission. Simply because he doesn't want to pay another $75 just to get his wife in, nor make her miss Friday and wait outside Saturday morning. This way he could get them both in for the full event, without paying much more than general admission.

Any takers?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Based on last year, if he's willing to put the money up front, he could easily go to the con for free and make some money on top of it in the long run using ebay. The box set never really went for much more than Fun Pub's asking price, but it didn't get much cheaper either. He could reasonable expect to sell it for $250. That COULD change if the set sells out. A pre-Beast Wars set with popular characters that sells out from its original source would very likely start to get pricey quickly on the secondary market. The freebie 6th figure was going for anywhere from $75 to $175 in the weeks after the con, mostly based on what people set BIN prices at. Most of them went in the $125-150 range. If the freebie figure this year is a recognizable character like, say, Tigatron, that could even go higher. Remember, people were getting $150 for a basic sized toy whose character was created for the con and had no pre-existing mythology. There's likely going to be more demand this year.

On top of that, and I know some will frown on this, but last year the toys available for purchase at the con were selling for 4 times what they did at the show within a matter of days. It wasn't unusual to see the $65 Ratchet and Flareup set top out at $250. Now, this year, the toys available for purchase at the show will likely include other popular characters like Megatron and Waspinator. Those are going to FLY up in price after the con.

To be honest, if your friend is willing to pay for a Primus package, Minicon package, and buy all convention toys at the show out of pocket, and then resell all the toys after the show, he could probably come out of the experience with he and his wife both going to the show for free and with a couple hundred extra dollars in their pocket on top of it. But again, they'd have to put the money up themselves first and make it back in a month, so I don't know if that's feasible. And of course, you're going to have those who will froth at the mouth and say they're stealing from fans by buying the stuff just to resell it for a profit. It's up to them whether that bothers them or not.

3. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    That's pretty much what I told him to do, for alot of the same reasons you suggested it. I guess he wanted the assurance he could resell them by working a deal up front.

And no, it's not me. I'm buying all the exclusives, but I plan to keep them. This looks to be an awesome set. :D 

4. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I'll bite. $350 for the set plus the sixth attendee figure, IF you or he or SOMEbody in your group can also pick up the Megatron and Waspinator/Cheetor, whichever isn't the freebie, for which I'll obviously pay for too, plus gratuity.

Hafta wait and see on those Divebomb repaints. Whether they even are Botcon exclusives or if they're BW characters. If it's a BW character, I want it; anything else, I can live without.

5. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know about the box set, but I sold Flamewar (last year's free figure) for £80 last year.

6. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

LOL, I already started a thread asking this same question in the Toyark. :p 

7. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I am torn. I'd love to get all the Botcon toys this year but it does seem pretty expensive. I may get them if I can get someone to sell me theirs at very reasonable price.

8. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Considering what the 6th bot freebie can go for, I'd say $350 is a good price. If you're not a club member, you gotta pay $300 just for the non-attendee 5 figure set. The freebie has no set price, but should be worth more than $50 on ebay. Though I started this thread for Weirdwolf, so you'd have to talk to him about it.

9. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Yes, but this thread pre-dated yours by 27 hours and 33 minutes. :p  You could've just checked here first. :) 

BTW, this is in the toyark too. :D