Question (ebay related)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by beanman, Nov 17, 2011.

1. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    Ok...I Know similar situations have been discussed, but I want some opinions.

Here's my situation: I bought a G1 Shockwave in box on ebay and received the package today - I opened it up, and the clear plastic on the Shockwave box was ripped pretty severely (the rip continued about a 1/2 inch through Shockwave's chest but isn't as noticeable). Upon further inspection the packaging box had a "hole" punched in it. I emailed the seller to clarify that the Shockwave box was not like this when sent (it was not listed in the description and the pictures didn't appear to show it like that, but sometimes it's hard to see the clear plastic in ebay pictures).

I haven't heard back yet, and it doesn't appear to be the seller's fault, but not my fault either - so I don't want to get caught up paying for return shipping on something that isn't my fault.

Wondering if you guys would demand a full refund with the seller to pay shipping? Or what you would do if the seller refused a return? Or if you would ask for a partial refund?

2. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I know this is a bit late, but that is why it is recommended to get insurance. It's worth the $2.

But in this case, if the user takes it back, then you should pay the shipping. He will be losing a lot more then you would.

3. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    Isn't it the seller's responsibility to get insurance? I know I do when I sell something -and just factor it in to the price of shipping.

4. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    The problem with insurance is the buyer can claim excessive shipping if they don't want it.The only way around it is to add it to the BIN price or eat it.

In this case talk to the seller and, if needed, open a case which you will win and ebay will pay the shipping back to the seller.

5. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    Ahh, I didn't even think about this one. Still waiting to hear back.

And, after getting past the problems with the box, I noticed that Shockwave's shoulders aren't flush (which from a previous experience could mean that a little plastic peg is broken).

6. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Interesting question on the insurance. I think its up to the shipper to offer it, but i dont think it should be forced on the shipper.

7. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm not saying it should be forced... I guess all I'm saying is as a seller you have to take responsibility for your item getting to the buyer safely (even when USPS may be at fault when it doesn't).

8. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I'm not picking sides at all. And it sucks that your shockwave came messed up. But doesn't anyone think that this really sucks for the seller? I mean if everything was ok on his end and he didn't lie about his listing and it really was damaged during shipping.... Then he's pretty much assed out with no money and broken toy.

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    On ebay, it's F the seller. We don't have a chance of winning anything during the resolution process. Buyers are like the Harlem globetrotters and sellers are just the other guys.

10. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hahahahaha. I love your analogy. I think I'm just going to incorporate the price of insurance into my listings. Every transaction I've had as a seller has been perfect. But I feel like I've been dodging it and sooner or later something is gonna go wrong.

11. Cosmic Rust

Cosmic Rust Oldskool Bot

Ebay:
    Was there a pic in the listing?

12. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    Yes, and everything looked fine. Which is why I don't think the seller misrepresented the auction, rather it was damaged in transit.

My one beef (besides Shockwave's shoulders) is that the packaging wasn't that good (one layer of deflated bubble wrap).

13. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thats it on a g1 shockwave? was it in a box that fit it pretty well?

14. beanman

beanman Not a Decepticon

News Credits:
    The box was actually a pretty solid box - something just punctured right through it though. It was packed tightly, but where the puncture was there was only one layer of bubble wrap (which was deflated, but after looking at it, the puncture may have actually deflated the bubble wrap in that area).

15. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ah, it could have. Sucks to hear a toy like that messed up in shipping.

16. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Packaging and shipping is always going to be seller's responsibility, with or without insurance. The seller isn't actually insuring the buyer against the buyer's loss or damage, he's insuring HIMSELF against loss or damage.
    And yes, if he feels it necessary, he should add the costs for insurance to the selling price (shipping costs). Of course, he should also put it in the items terms and conditions. As a regular buyer, I'd say that's reasonable as long as you know what your shipping costs are buying.

17. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    ebay or paypal never pay the shipping back to the seller!!!!! and the seller does not have to pay the return shipping either! you have to pay that yourself..is a bit harsh if the p&p is going to cost you £20 to send back! been in that situation more than a few times :(  only time i have had that with transformers is when i got mp04 and mp06 that were listed as mint the prime had paint chipped off , one of the smoke stacks were broken the legs were buggered also skywarp had 2 broken tail fins was not happy..the fact the seller only had pics of the boxes should of been a sign really

18. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Then why should he for something that wasn't his fault?

The best resolution is for him to give you a full refund, you pay to ship it back, you are both out the same amount for shipping. End of story, move on with your life and maybe the next time you guys sell/buy something that is 25 + years old you (or the seller) spend the extra couple of bucks to have it insured.

19. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    It does suck for the seller, but the way eBay is setup, the seller is at fault in this case. Before ebay changed the rules, all of my auctions stated "Insurance is not included but highly recommended." After the rules changed, eBay would flag my auction description and force me to remove that phrase, with an error message that basically stated that I can't make insurance optional.

That's basically what I have to do now. Unless it's something like a Botcon related auction where I know I'm going to make enough profit to easily cover the cost of insurance.

Sadly for the seller, he's going to have to refund part of the cost to compensate for the damage or refund everything and have the buyer send it back to him, and then try to sell a shockwave in a damaged box. Sadly for the buyer he's going to have to pay to ship it back to the seller, or have a Shockwave in a damaged box.

20. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Was the actual figure OK? If so, then I would just be done with the transaction.