Question concerning US Packaging

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ChrisW, Aug 25, 2008.

1. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

It looks like the US and Canada have different packaging for both the Universe 2.0 line and the Animated line. On the US package, you get pictures of both modes on the back along with the bio and tech spec. For the Canadian releases, you get the co-sells on the back of the package with the bio and tech specs on the back of the instructions. The two Canadian Universe 2.0 toys I've bought so far (Prowl and Sunstreaker) also came with the bio and tech specs on a separate insert.

I will probably be heading down to the US in the near future, so I wouldn't mind picking up some as-yet-unreleased-in-Canada figures that have been released down there (like Galvatron, Acid Storm, and Swoop). On the other hand, I prefer the Canadian releases since I usually throw out the box (but keep the instructions).

Do the US Universe 2.0 deluxes also come with the tech specs and bio on a separate insert? What about the Animated figures? Are the bio and tech specs only on the back of the box?

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

No, no, yes.

3. Cascadia

Cascadia Ion Storm

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What they say is correct....other than that, they are exactly the same (in terms of the actual figure)

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Jeepers, I didn't know the bio/techs were moved to the instructions in multi-lingual packages. I guess I assumed that stuff was just truncated if not removed completely.

I miss the old cut-out style of tech-specs - the current US tech/bio take up a certain amount of the back of the package, and aren't all that conducive to clipping and collecting anymore. I'd love to see a return to either little rectangular specs, or separate cards like in the Japanese releases, or the "Heroes of Cybertron" PVC figures ('cept for the half-assed character artwork, those were pretty great)

5. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Swoop isn't out at U.S. retail yet.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    That could very well change within the next few hours, days.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Right, the wave is scheduled for September, so depending on when ChrisW's trip is, Swoop should be out there.

8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

I didn't know the bio and tech specs were moved to the instructions either. Interesting development there, and it'd sure as heck make the decision of throwing away the packaging much easier. The only remaining issue is the loss of full-color art, and not an enormous loss at this.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Well, BBTS got the wave in stock a few weeks ago, together with Ultra Magnus and wave 2 of the Activators.

The Activators were just sighted at retail, so... go figure.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It's the same even for Voyagers and Leaders instructions, but they still have the actual bio and tech-specs on the back as well. Though don't worry, hasbro Canada has stated that the packaging should return to regular way of putting bios on cards.

I'm kind of dissapointed that Hasbro Canada will be putting an end to this, since I like the bios on the Instructions so I can toss the cards. :p 

11. ChrisW

ChrisW Well-Known Member

Thanks for the fast responses!

No Swoop in the USA yet? Whoops, my bad.

The trip looks like it's on for tomorrow, though there might also be another trip later on.

I thought that Hasbro Canada said we would be getting packaging with the correct picture on the front (instead of generic fronts). Did they specifically say we wouldn't be getting bios on the back of the instructions or is this just an assumption? Cause if the CDN and US releases are identical, then there is no point in getting the CDN release when the US one is (1) identical, (2) 33% cheaper, and (3) available sooner.

As for tomorrow, I'll be looking for Legends G2 Megatron but not much else.

12. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    The Euro packaging here is still disappointing, with the bios cut down to barely nothing so they can fit on many other languages. I'd certainly love the full bios to be printed on the back of the instructions, but I guess that would mean more cost where all the Euro languages are concerned. That said, the back of an instruction sheet is quite big, so plenty of room for them all in one go I suppose.