Question concerning clear plastic...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NexusZero, Nov 25, 2010.

1. NexusZero

NexusZero 強度の、勇気の愛、平和。

So I just ordered the Animated Sons Of Cybertron two-pack.

But, I have my doubts.

Does clear plastic show stress marks on joints? I pose my figures a lot and if their joints get all white and weird looking that would suck. I probably should have asked this before I bought them, ah well.

Thanks

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Clear plastic actually shows signs of stress worse than the opaque types. It's more rigid than the normal stuff, so rather than just stretch and stress, it fractures.

That said, a good amount of the highly stressed areas on these guys are made from the regular types of plastic, and they're pretty solid and durable anyways. As long as you aren't popping parts off constantly (where the most stress comes from, since the parts have to stretch over the ball joints), they should be fine.

3. NexusZero

NexusZero 強度の、勇気の愛、平和。

I don't generally pop parts off, I just fiddle with them a bit, transform them a few times, etc.

4. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I personaly don't trust clear plastic all that much, especially after my Armada Sonar's "backpack" broke off when I tried to transform him. Since the Armada Star Saber is useless without it (the backpack has the 5mm hilt grip AND the port for Jetstorm to plug into), I had one hell of a time trying to glue the part back on.

I don't transform the Air Defense Mini-con team out of sword mode anymore for that reason.

To be honest, I never really got the whole appeal of "clear plastic figures" myself, but I should think that simply posing the figures shouldn't be that bad AS LONG AS there isn't excessive due force on clear plastic parts. That's how my Sonar broke.

5. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Does anyone else have any "crystal" or clear figures that have had parts break? I've started picking up more but have been curious how common it is to have things break.

6. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have quite a few clear figures and had no problems with them. Al I do is normal transformation. I don't force anything in place. I don't part swap. If the last few months, I got both Sons of Cybertron sets, MP Ghost Starscream and Henkei crystal Convoy. All without issues.

Be advised that some people don't like clear figures and their opinions will be biased. The same goes for people that likes them.

7. NexusZero

NexusZero 強度の、勇気の愛、平和。

^^^^

I always keep that in mind on the internet.

And as for the original question, thank you for your answers, I can't wait until they get here!

8. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    i have the blizzard saber group from japan...dunno what they are called individually or the name of the group...they have clear crystal blue and greyish plastic...i have always left them in the sword form since they probably would break easily...they were blind packed in their boxes in black plastic sealed bags...paid $50 a few years ago for them...neat little buggers....

9. T-Logicon

T-Logicon assembles the drones

I've got the semi-clear ghost TFA Lockdown. He's been transformed many times, and I've never had an issue. That being said, my original universe1.0 Hot Rod broke in 2 at the waist from normal transforming. It could have been a fluke, but I dont trust that figure. Clear or otherwise.

10. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

There are large cracks in my Animated Swindle's shoulder joints due to them being made of clear plastic. Just be more careful on the ball jointed bits.

11. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    I'm not that worried about 'em giving way too soon. More concerned about how prone they really are to yellowing. :redface2: 

12. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've got tons of clear figures...

No Problems.

13. BlueAngel_Bolt

BlueAngel_Bolt I'M REALLY FEELING IT

News Credits:
    I've had the henkei crystal cpnvoy for almost 2 years now. I've transformed, played, and attached and detached the powered commander armor alot of times. no problems

14. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Don't worry, you won't get any stressmarks on the Animated Sons of Cybertron figures..they're loose as hell! :lol  At least Prime is!

15. NexusZero

NexusZero 強度の、勇気の愛、平和。

:( 

Ah well, they look cool just standing there anyway.

16. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Those scare me too. And mine had the shoulder rotate right out of the joint on first turn and it was such a git to get back in. Thought it was gonna break.

My recent clear plastic worry was Sidearm Sideswipe's gun pegs. The guns just didn't want to come off and there's not much room to apply pressure to pop them out due to them being on small hatches with pinned hinges that could also break. Got them off in the end but when they go back on they're never coming off again.

17. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

I have a bunch of clear figures and none are broken or showing signs of stress. I love them.

18. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

TFA prime from the sons set is loose, roddy is good to go. Henkei set both are good.