Question About WST Dinobots

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by shiftypenguin, Nov 25, 2008.

1. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    So, I preordered the WST Dark Retribution Dinobot set from TF Source, and I was wondering about the overall quality of these figures. I know they're KOs, but are they worth the price?

Thoughts, comments?

2. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    A few people have had QC hiccups but all mine are awesome :D 

3. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    They aren't KOs in a literal sense, they are unlicensed toys that are just made by a different toy company. You can't KO a toy that's never existed before. Since these are smaller versions of G1 toys, they are new in theory and can't be called KOs (at least IMHO).

Because of the different company production, there are some quality issues that I've seen - not just with the Dinobots but with all of the WST line. The plastic is cheap on some characters, the joints are loose, and it's easy to snap pieces off during transformations. Some of the toys are rare, like the Christmas dinos that have come out, and that makes them pretty sought after - so the price is all in what you think the toy is worth from a collector's standpoint, not necessarily a quality issue.

The toys are good for displays and are pretty cool. I don't have my WSTs any longer (I narrowed down the collection to just G1) but I would have kept them if I could have. It all comes down to a preference and how much tolerance you'll have for the imperfections.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  4. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Ah, I was wondering about the whole license thing. Cool. 'Cause I heard there's gonna be a few clear Lucky Draw sets thrown in.

I don't even plan on removing them from the package (well, depending on the display of the figures inside). I have WST Megatron, and he's all floppy and such. I heard these were a bit bigger, though. Like, 3 inches or something.

5. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    They're not licensed.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The Swoop I got had TERRIBLE quality. My Sludge has a really loose leg, and my Slag was floppy as shit.

7. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Right, the WST line was licensed by Takara. The dinobots were never a part of that.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

The WST Dinorobots are not licensed in any way whatsoever. There is nothing legal about them whatsoever. There are reasons why the figures don't use any actual Dinobot's name after Snarl but the functions instead. Also, by altering the G1 Grimlock mold and with the figures all being miniature versions of the Dinobots that exist nowhere else, Justitoys has been able to differentiate their product from any existing Hasbro or Takara product, much the same way Impossible Toys hasn't yet incurred the wrath of Hasbro for its various cartoon character figures.

But the actual WSTF line is most certainly legitimate, and was made by Takara years ago.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Some QC issues here and there but I lucked out and didn't get a terrible set. Fantastic toys and yes, bigger than the regular WSTFs.

10. Darkspeed

Darkspeed Avatar Freak

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that sounds rather unpleasant to me... ^^;

Been contemplating getting the Dinorobots themselves (To use their proper name on the packaging :p ) But some of the prices they're gonig for hurt me in the general wallet region... That said, the Dark Retribution set looks so damn sweet, I'm finding it hard to resist...

11. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I really love my (unofficial)WST Dinobots, but each one has at least one flaw.

Snarl has a super loose waist joint and his tail hinges feel like they might snap after more than just a couple transformations.

Sludge's dino-mode head's hinge is slightly deformed, which results in the head sitting at a somewhat odd angle.

Grimlock's chest section is really loose and the point in his visor is off-centre, and quite obviously so.

Slag's dino-mode lower jaw's pivots aren't centred properly, so one side is higher than the other, which makes transforming him somewhat akward. Also, his fist holes were too small to hold his weapons, which is quite common from what I've read.

Swoop's chest pieces come so tightly screwed together that you'll need a flat-head screwdriver to pry them apart. Loosening the screws on the back a bit solves this though. Also, his peg-holes for his launchers have had a tendency to be either too big or too small, due in part to under- or over-chroming. Every time I touch my Swoop, some chrome seems to flake off his wings, and yet there's no sign of the plastic showing through...that shows how much chrome is on this guy.

Also, Snarl and Slag have to have their fists removed to transform. Finally, despite an over-all decent quality to the plastic, there are some parts that are almost paper thin and the figures feel like they might just crumble in your hands after a few transformations.

But still, considering they aren't official products, and are in fact, KOs, they're not that bad. They look really great next to a WST Prime (Alas, I only have the WST VSX set for actual WST figures). I most certainly don't regret getting them and actually managed to get Swoop, with all the launchers and what-not, for a cheaper price than Sludge :D 

Oh, yeah, one last thing...the stickers suck ass...seriously horrible, especially on Snarl, Slag and Grimlock. You'll pretty much have to cut the buggers out yourself.

Still, if you can overlook the flaws, they make for a really nice display piece. Plus, if you get the G1 accurate coloured figures, you get a beautiful blue-chested Swoop!

12. Big Filipino

Big Filipino John 3:16-17 says it all

News Credits:
    I have all 5 of the and the only QC issue that I'm annoyed by is on the mouth piece of Slag which is missing a good chunk of chrome. Other than that, I love this set.

13. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    My Snarl is super floppy and one of Grimlock's tail halves falls off all the time. Sludge is the best of the bunch.

14. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

grim

The biggest let down for me was the oddly placed screw, it really was not screwed in at all, on one half of Grimlock's tail, in dino mode it is held on by the clip, but in robot mode it is placed to the sside, since I can not find a screw to replace the stripped out one.

15. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The only real problem with my set is that Swoops chest halves are a nightmare to split for transformation. The rest are fine... I must have been lucky (and I got all missile launchers with my Swoop, too!).

16. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Like I said above, just loosen the screws on the back of the torso. They're really easy to see, they are right under where the legs fold up and over onto the wings. That fixes up the chest really nicely.

And Swoop is supposed to come with all the missile launchers for all the Dinobots. That's why Swoop is generally more expensive than the others, aside from Limited Editions or the Christmas versions. I mentioned getting my Swoop with the launchers because when I got him, Sludge was going for about 15 US and Swoop tended to go for 25 US, but I managed to snag Swoop for 15 and Sludge for 16.