Question about Wonderfest Revoltech Soundwave & Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by merc10, Apr 28, 2009.

1. merc10

merc10 New Member

2. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

links don't work for me for some reason.

3. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

4. merc10

merc10 New Member

5. Makxsh1mum

Wow. Revoltech's normally cost around $20. $160 for shockwave??? Honestly, i have a bunch of Revoltech's. The TF ones' paint jobs came out well, but i've definitely seen qc issues, so paying this much moolah for a revoltech, personally, doesn't jive for me. Absolutely will not buy these. Shockwave looks better than the Soundwave though IMO. Definitely pretty, but, too expensive.

6. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But they are not revoltechs they are garage kits based on the concept of revoltechs. your paying for rarity not quality

7. Makxsh1mum

Gotcha - i thought since this was on bbts, that it was some mass-produced run. Shockwave definitely looks sweet. Still would never pay $160 for a custom revoltech, but i'm sure some people will. Shockwave is pretty damn popular.

8. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    I've kinda got the Wonderfest Shockwave model. Mine is slightly different, but is based on Wonderfest artwork. If you click on my flickr TF set linked in my sig, you'll see some pix. The detail is incredible and he stands proud next to his fellow Decepticon Revos. Shocky is slightly taller than Megs and uses a full set of Megatron joints to put him together. I think the Wonderfest one from BBTS has joints included. Mine had only the resin parts, but EVERYTHING was there. Feet, thighs, forearm joint covers - everything.

Shockwave comes unpainted and undrilled. You have to drill the holes for the joints yourself. That can be pretty darn stressful, drilling holes in your $160 irreplaceable model kit. The head itself is.... not even possible without error. You can only drill a fraction of the way needed before popping out the top. You have to only drill so much and then shorten the stub on the revoltech joint you plan to shove in the head. If I only owned one copy of this kit, I'd never drill holes in it.

And then you get to paint. I own every color of purple that Testors makes in acrylic. None are perfect, but you can mix something pretty good with silver or steel and their purple pearl color. Testors Model Master Acryl Purple Pearl is DAMN THIN and I had to use ~8 coats. It's an exercise in OCD, getting the paint thick enough and even enough. Maybe Tamaya would have had a better color... I donno.

As for Soundwave, I do own the Wonderfest model of him, purchased from the above BBTS link. I've not yet built him. Too much other stuff to do. But SW comes with less than Shocky does. You *need* a full Megatron kit to build him. Soundwave comes with no joints, no thighs, no feet, and (I think) no forearms or forearm joint covers. Also no hands. All of these parts are salvaged from the Megs revo doner kit.

Soundwave DOES come with two clear chest pieces. One is thin and barely protrudes from the chest for Soundwave. The other is twice as thick and sticks out from the chest an extra bit, so that you can build an "accurate" Soundblaster complete with quotemarks. Not sure why someone would choose to build that version, but it's a nice extra.

You also have to drill your Soundwave resin model and then paint it. It is at least molded in blue, so you're halfway there on the color. You just have to make it the right shade of blue. And the parts seem to have more room for the joint holes than the Shocky model. The only problem is the torso. It's two piece and you have to drill a perfectly straight hole through a slightly larger peg. Kinda hard to explain. The chest is two pieces (three if you count the clear tape piece) that connect with a revoltech joint. You then connect all that to the crotch piece. It looks way difficult to build.

ha, that was a lot of typing. Hope that helps. To sum up: don't buy these as your first model kit. But if you want them, don't let them get away. You can always develop your kit building skills later.

9. merc10

merc10 New Member

Thanks for the info revlimiter. The Shockwave that you made is awesome. You should make more and sell them. The Soundwave that you made is really good too.