Customs: Question about weathering

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by yovnocrats, Aug 8, 2008.

1. yovnocrats

yovnocrats Well-Known Member

So, I'm in the middle of making a custom Classics-esque Swindle, and I'm about at the point where I want to add weathering, but I've never done it before, at least not how I'm going to. I'm going to be doing silver and light brown to make a nice worn-dirty painjob look. I'm wondering what color to put on first. Silver first, brown second? Or the other way around? I know doing silver first, I could end up with some weird shiny bronze coloring, so, I'm assuming brown first, just want a professional opinion.

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmmm. I would say to go with silver then brown for bot mode and just brown for alt mode. For the bot mode just highlight panels edges where you would like the appearance of scraped metal and whatnot and for the feet I would do a wash of brown to get the look of muddiness. For alt mode I honestly have not seen battle damage(using just silver paint) that I have liked so I would just go with making it look like a real car, paint mud at the back of all the wheel wells/fenders and maybe a little mud on the front end. Oh and to avoid the bronze color your are referring to, make sure that when you paint over silver with brown just make sure the brown is opaque(thick enough to cover) so it will look like mud and not rust or something(unless you want the look). Hope this helps a little.

3. yovnocrats

yovnocrats Well-Known Member

Well, I'm using the Cybertron Hardtop mold, so not many places where the alt. mode would catch mud flung from the tires and what not. Thanks for the advice though, I think you're right in more accentuating the brown compared to the silver. I definitely want to give him a very sandy, dirt encrusted look. Now I'm actually thinking I could use some mustard yellow then brown, to make it seem more of a fade where the worn paint meets the dirty parts, with silver as a highlight on panels, or areas prone to contact as you suggested. If anybody had anymore advice, I'd love to hear it.