Question about War Within

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by silverbolt00, Apr 10, 2010.

1. silverbolt00

silverbolt00 Autobot

News Credits:
    Hey guys, i recently just read the War Within Omnibus again and from how it ended i would assume that the story continues however i cannot for the life of me find any info on which comes after? I have searched the forum and even tried google and wiki ... lol But as i said couldn't find what i was looking for.
    So, my question is, can anyone tell me if the story continues from the War Within Omnibus and what it's called?
    Cheers.

2. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hi, the War Within omnibus collects the first two mini-series (of six issues each). Dreamwave started a THIRD mini-series, subtitled "The Dark Ages" but were only able to release issues #1-3 before the company folded, leaving the story unresolved.

These three issues have never been collected, and are unlikely to be due to legal wrangles over non-payment to writers and artists.

Thus, you can try and track down #1-3 (if you don't mind ending on a real cliff-hanger!) but they're quite desirable...

3. MrSoundwaveGuy

MrSoundwaveGuy I've made a huge mistake

News Credits:
    War Withing: The Age of Wrath followed it but only 3 of the 6 issues were released because Dreamwave went out of business

EDIT: Magnus Mate beat me to it

4. silverbolt00

silverbolt00 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ah ha, thanks very much guys, let the hunt begin! :thumbs2: 

5. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

You do know there's Transformers wiki, don't you? Couldn't have searched that hard!

6. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Why?...............................

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    If I remember the Age of Wrath solicitations correctly, the rest of the plot would have gone something like:

(Spoilered for those who've not read the first three)

- the Turbomasters on Quintessa uncover the Quintesson's real agenda and rescue Optimus.
    - Based on the ongoing series Dreamwave published, Megatron somehow betrayed the Quintessons, either armed with the knowledge of their true plan, or because that was his plan the entire time.
    - the Air Warrior army got scrapped.
    - Optimus returned and reestablished some sort of status quo.

A lot of that is guesswork, but really the ending of the story is fairly obvious.

8. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I miss dream wave so much. It always makes me angry.
    To me it was the perfect Transformers.

9. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

I miss Dreamwave too as well as Marvel.

10. CyclonuS_ZerO

CyclonuS_ZerO Uni-con

News Credits:
    Really wish this series would've continued. My only gripe is that Grimlock and the Dinobots were in it...they were created on Earth. I suppose you could rationalize it by saying these were the original Autobots they named the Dinobots after...but that's some serious tweaking right there. Either way, the continuity of the G1 series is kinda rocky. Wish there was a way to interconnect all this and make it more linear. I did post a thread a ways back saying it'd be cool if they redrew the entire G1 series (or at least the first three eps) and the animation would be done by Figuroa.

11. drmick

drmick Well-Known Member

In the Marvel comics, Grimlock and the Dinobots already existed pre-earth crash. It was in the cartoon they were created on Earth. And despite DW and IDW's efforts to blur these boundaries, Furman is always going to build his stories on the original comics.

12. enkidoamark

enkidoamark Well-Known Member

I love how every thread like this becomes a reason to talk about Dreamwave and how much (most of us) miss it. I'm not being critical. I miss Dreamwave. I miss comics in which big things happen pretty much every issue. Dreamwave will always have a place in my heart, because it was the first continuation of G1. It got me back into TFs.

13. silverbolt00

silverbolt00 Autobot

News Credits:
    Well excuse me mr Transformers detective .... i did in fact search wiki as you might have noticed if you read and understood my post as i said i did not find exactly what i was looking for. And was there any need for that sarcastic tone? My question was answered by helpful people, it was a little uncalled for.
    Again though, thanks for useful info i was given.

14. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Um, only if you go by that awful cartoon - and it may surprise you, that many fans don't! :thumbs2: 

As some one else said, the Dinobots pre-existence on Cybertron stretches all the way back to the original Marvel saga.

15. Tuxedo Mark

Tuxedo Mark Well-Known Member

In general, I hated Dreamwave's approach to continuity. It picked up in 2002 or whenever and had a vague, cartoon-like backstory with some Marvel stuff mixed in. It's as if they were saying "cartoon but only until we say otherwise". For example, I seem to recall Optimus meeting Blaster in the present day, rather than knowing him since at least 1985.

I'd much rather they have started the story from scratch, rather than using the cartoon and Marvel comics as a shorthand reference.

16. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The original intention probably was to carry on the original cartoon up to the Movie, I seem to recall though it came out that there was a conflict of rights that led to some hasty retcons to adjust the ending.

I certainly remember that was the discussion, with the first mini supposedly leading up to the exile of the Autobots from Cybertron, although thinking back, maybe I'm getting confused with fanboy speculation from back at the time.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  17. Shelfwarmercon

Shelfwarmercon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fixed.

I was fortunate enough to have been exposed to both during my younger days. I still prefer the cartoon.

18. Tuxedo Mark

Tuxedo Mark Well-Known Member

Huh? So they didn't have the right to place it strictly in cartoon continuity?

19. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Same here. It's amazing how many people bash the cartoon. It's ridiculous to be honest.

20. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    At the time that Dreamwave was doing the comics, the original rights to both the Transformers comic and the Transformers cartoon show were in flux. It wasn't until relatively recently (the last year or so) that Hasbro reaqcuired FULL rights to both the comic and the original cartoon.

Hasbro now owns EVERYTHING Transformers, save ROBOTS IN DISGUISE which is controlled by Disney, and ANIMATED, which is still under contractual legal mumbo jumbo with Cartoon Network.