Question about Voice Actors for Prime and other shows

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Sideswipe1954, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Something I have been wondering, especially about the current cast of TF: Prime.

Do the creators/producers go hunting for specific voice actors or do they have open auditions for the specific roles and cast out of who does audition?

I look at people like Peter Cullen and Frank Welker, and based on the show itself, I figure they are asked to audition by the producers, but you look at actors like Ernie Hudson (Fowler) or Markie Post (June Darby) who really have not had a lot of voice acting experience, are these people the producers had in mind when making the show, or did they apply and the characters molded around them?

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That sounds like a GREAT question for Botcon, instead of one more dumbass going "Is Cliffjumper dead???" or "Can you tell us more characters???".

But I recall they saying something back in February about how they always got a "voice actor" in mind for each character, so my guess would be that they just do a quick test to see if the one they had in mind works and then hire him, those guys are in Los Angeles mind you so they got a HUGE list of acting people just waiting to get a phone call.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I don't think anyone had Sumalee Montano in mind for Arcee and she is excellent as Arcee. Also i've never seen her in anything else. I need a list of her other roles whiel i'm at it.

Also Steven Blum, Daran Norris and Kevin Micheal Richardson have voiced in transformers series prior to this.

4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Cast from those who audition. We know this from interviews, such as Townsend Coleman, who found out Animated was for sure cancelled when his agent sent him a cast list for Prime and what parts he should audition for.

Also, you audition for the show sometimes and not a part. There are many stories of people auditioning for one role and getting another (This is also true for live action as well). That's not to say that it's an open field, Cullen was likely first choice for Prime, for example, so as soon as he auditioned, he probably got the part.