Question about Vista.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by samtheman, Feb 16, 2009.

1. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

I've been looking into buying a laptop recently however, from what I can tell, they all come with Vista. I'm kind of paranoid that once I get a laptop with Vista on it, Microsoft will stop supporting it.

I have no wish to get a Mac either btw.

Am I right for being paranoid? Should I wait for the next Windows operating system?

2. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    Just get it and downgrade to XP. Then when Windows 7 hits upgrade to that. I have been running the W7 Beta since it was released and it has been 1000X better than the hell I went through with Vista.

3. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

most places let you downgrade these days - they all know vista is teh suckey.

4. samtheman

Thanks...I was thinking about buying from Best Buy. Do they let you downgrade? Does it cost anything? Wheres another good place/website to do it?

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    eh, I like vista just fine. once I disabled the constant security pop-ups, I have absolutely no complaints. never have run into any compatability problems. performance is great. honestly dont know why people hate it.

oh, aside from how long it takes to unzip files. that sucks.

6. samtheman

I agree there really isn't anything wrong with vista. The only part I don't like is if I want to open an XP word document in Vista it won't let me.

Also from what I said before I don't think Microsoft is going to support Vista once it's new operating system comes out.

Other than that I really don't see any problems with it and I don't see why anyone else should unless they hear it through the grape vine with no hands on experience with it.

7. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

vista actually crawled out of my laptop display and ate one of my children. i have a personal reason to hate it now.

8. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

There's a reason that MS is rushing Windows 7 - Vista is pretty bad. Downgrading to XP may not be an option, either - if the hardware you purchase doesn't have XP-compatible drivers, you're in trouble. That happened to me with a Gateway laptop. I ended up switching it to Linux. (Of course, now the DC port on the laptop is dead, so the whole laptop is dead unless and until I can get that fixed, but that's neither here nor there.)

That said - Microsoft will surely support Vista for a few years. They have always supported their older operating systems for a few years after they're retired - though they do eventually cut it off.

One possibility that you might not have considered - a MacBook. Yes, I know you said you didn't want to switch. But MacBooks can run XP as a secondary operating system using OS X's included Boot Camp software. There's also commercial software (Parallels and VMware Fusion) that lets you run XP inside OS X. The downside is that a MacBook might cost a little more than most Wintel laptops, but you get what you pay for.

Another possibility: it's still possible to purchase a new laptop with XP instead of Vista. Search TigerDirect.com for "XP laptop." There's plenty of choices there. For that matter, there are Linux laptops now too.

9. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Have you avenged your child's death yet?

10. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Most of the issues with Vista are just people talking about Vista.
    With that said, a great deal of Vista's initial problems were caused by Nvidia.

Maybe you could get one with an AMD video display instead.

Personally, I love Vista.

11. samtheman

Macs cost twice as much as any other laptop and you get one that is half as good just so you can use a mac OS.

Example: Macbook Pro 15.4 inch display
    2.4 GHz processor
    2GB of Ram
    250GB HD
    $1999.99

Dell Studio Laptop 15.4 inch display
    2.0 GHz processor
    4 GB of Ram
    320 GB HD
    $699.99

Source: bestbuy.com

Macs are a ripoff imo. Sorry Mac lovers, they're just not for me.

12. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Have you tried the comps you are happy with Vista on with XP? I went from XP X64 to Vista Ultimate X64 and the system was noticeably slower. I stuck it out along with the compatibility issues because I had a Direct-X 10 Video Card. The final nail in the coffin was when I added a second Video Card and my games GOT SLOWER! I went back to XP X64 for a while and I am now running the Windows 7 Beta and I am blown away at how much better than Vista it is at a Beta stage Vs Vista SP1.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Word is a seperate entity to Windows, which version of the latter you are running hasen't got anything to do with what documents you can open.

Main support is 5 years from original release or 2 years after replacement, whichever is longer and with possible extention depending on demand. Your cool until 2012 at the least.

14. RKillian

RKillian https://rktoys.myshopify.com

"Vista's not that bad" is hilarious if you owned a PC back in the early 1990s or earlier and realize that many of the same basic tasks aren't hundreds of times faster even though all of the hardware is.

15. samtheman

I've sent documents in MS office XP word to professors and they can't open them in Vista. Dunno why.

Also I've had my current PC for over 6 years and hasn't failed me yet, XP works great for me. I guess I'll just wait for MS 7.

16. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Vista is great. Its been good for a long time now. I cant think of any real problems that exist post SP1, and even before that there were just a few bugs here and there. Performance I find is about the same as XP. This is even true on my now 5 year old computer back when I tried the Vista beta on it. Most of the problems people have had were driver issues. Those have mostly been fixed now. In all honesty, I can not stand having to go back to XP. For example the search feature in Vista is very useful. I also often make use of the volume controller for individual programs.

Also, I run Vista on a Macbook Pro laptop. I got a Mac because I wanted to try out a Mac and install Vista myself (so I didnt get my computer preinstalled with bloatware). Windows on Mac has one very serious issue; the track pad sucks. If Apple were to fix that I would very highly suggest a Mac to install Windows on. Not surprisingly that is a driver problem with Apple, not Windows. On the plus side, I used to hate the Mac but OSX Leopard is actually quite a good OS IMO.

Also, for those who are not really in the know
    Windows Vista IS Windows 7
    ! Sure its got a more KDE environment and will give you some improvements in usability and a few performance improvements, but it really is basically Vista. As far as upgrades in OSs go, 7 is really nothing that major. Hell, Windows 7's version number is actually Windows 6.1

That said, I intend to buy it if the upgrade price is right. Finally Windows gets a slideshow option for desktop backgrounds!

17. Shin-Gouki

News Credits:
    Originally, a version of Windows codenamed Blackcomb was planned as the successor to Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Major features were planned for Blackcomb, including an emphasis on searching and querying data and an advanced storage system named WinFS to enable such scenarios. Later, Blackcomb was delayed and an interim, minor release, codenamed "Longhorn" was announced for 2003. By the middle of 2003, however, Longhorn had acquired some of the features originally intended for Blackcomb. After three major viruses exploited flaws in Windows operating systems within a short time period in 2003, Microsoft changed its development priorities, putting some of Longhorn's major development work on hold in order to develop new service packs for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. Development of Longhorn (Windows Vista) was also "reset" in September 2004.

Blackcomb was renamed Vienna in early 2006, and again to Windows 7 in 2007. In 2008, it was announced that Windows 7 would also be the official name of the operating system.The first external release to select Microsoft partners came in January 2008 with Milestone 1 (build 6519).