Customs: Question about using sharpies

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by AutobotMirage, May 20, 2012.

1. AutobotMirage

AutobotMirage Wrecker

News Credits:
    I'm thinking about starting customizing by first using sharpies. Can someone let me know how effective they are? Can it come off very easily or will it last for some time? Any advice about using them would be appreciated.

2. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    don't, stains the plastic, black spreads around where you marked purple, you get an un-even finish, just try paint, it's not too hard to use, just takes practice

3. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

This^. I tried using a sharpie marker on my custom Mirage figure for the headlights and it smeared; regardless of what others say, I would avoid them at all costs.

Make certain you buy actual hobby brushes when you begin to paint, and the finer brushes for detailing will allow you to get those small, recessed areas or high light areas that you may have intended to use the markers on.

If you're painting details in robot form, and they bleed over accidentally onto another surface, you can easily paint over them, as long as the color is a lighter shade than the one you will use for large surfaces.

If it's darker, or if you feel that you may make alot of mistakes ( like I have) I recommend painting the larger surfaces first, then allow that paint to cure. Once it has, you can use frog tape to mask off the areas surrounding the parts that require detailed work.

This will prevent any unnecessary accidents.

4. AutobotMirage

AutobotMirage Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ok. Thanks! What are the best paints to use? For example, I'm thinking about repainting some of the Cyberverse Commander weapons.

5. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    There is one area where Sharpies can work with a neat effect:

Over silver paint. You'll get an effect somewhat like a G1 sticker, with a colored metallic area. Just only do small areas for details--a little square detail here, a depression there. (basically, you can only make 1 stroke without causing streaks etc, so it has to be no wider than the marker's tip)

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
  7. NEST SOLDIER

NEST SOLDIER IRONHIDE'S DRIVER

Check the tutorials under the Radicons section first. Personally, I like Model Masters by Testors, but that's just me. Some people like Pactra paints ( also by Testors) and some like Tamiya.

I will tell you that you should look into using House of Kolor adhesion promoter. It has to be applied using an airbush, but it's well worth it. It acts as a primer, but also prevents your paints from flaking or chipping.

If you use it, you'll need to apply a base coat of either flat grey or black still.

I highly recommend Jin's tutorial also. Hope this helps! :) 

8. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

9. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    Do different Sharpies offer different results? I think I've seen some "art" ones or something like that for plastics, unlike typical black Sharpies.

I picked up a pack of "metallic" ones including: gold, silver and bronze. I used the silver for PRIDE Voyager Ultra Magnus' smokepipe, and for Rumble's "cannons" on his back/doors; they appear good (apart from me not being careful and getting some onto parts I didn't want to).

Are there any reasonable consequences in the near future due to their use? Rubbing off? Bleeding? Weakening the plastic's integrity?

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Sharpie makes a "paint" type of marker. I have some metallic markers that I've used a bit. The "ink" is actually acrylic paint, so they function a bit like painting with acrylic pens.

However, after my experiences, I prefer metallic enamels to anything acrylic offers, Sharpie pens or otherwise. Paint + thinner (to keep it from gunking up), let dry and cure, and then coat with Future (as I would any other paint application that I don't mix Future with), and it's good to go.

That's just my method anyways.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Are Gundam Markers a true paint-marker, or are they more "dye+solvent" like a Sharpie?

12. siccoyote

siccoyote Predacon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I used a Black Marker (what we call sharpies in the uk, in a strange switch as we call vacuums hoovers etc) to colour in Flywheel's jet cockpit and Bumblebee's back window, seemed to work fine, I even didn't realise it for a second when I picked up flywheels years later. Just makes me wish Hasbro were so lazy with paint apps.