Question about Third Party figures: Do some people just plain prefer first party?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kuma Style, May 17, 2011.

1. Kuma Style

Kuma Style I'm boney. I'm boney; Leave me aloney! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm sitting at my work desk and I was transforming Warbot and Delicate Warrior, and I started thinking about all the threads I've seen about what figure to get as Springer, and surprisingly a lot of people seem to go with the Universe Springer even though it doesn't even look like Springer, over Warbot, which is pretty dead on... and then I've seen threads asking about a hasbro release for Arcee when Delicate Warrior is picture perfect.

So, I was just wondering, is it mostly the price? Is it just more of a bias towards Hasbro made toys?

And, this isn't said with bias, or anything, bc I'm going to buy what I buy and not do it around other people's opinions (Minus qc warnings! hahaha), and that's how I think everyone should be, but, since I'm coming from a different view, I'd just like to see what people think.

2. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I would probably say the main motivating factor is price.

A mass-produced first party toy will cost a fraction of a third-party toy; folks on a budget will shy away from a beautiful figure like Delicate Warrior at $100 if there's a shot that Hasbro will produce a Generations Arcee deluxe for $11.99 (not that Hasbro has plans to make one).

3. Robticon

Robticon Out of the Game

Price, and the fact that most people prefer to buy official product, not gray area third party items. I don't have a problem with it, but form what I understand, there are some who do.

That, and when people ask 'What's the best Springer?' or 'When will Hasbro make a Classics Arcee?' it's because they want the real thing. Something that actually legally brandishes the name of the character they want. (At least that's how I see it, most of the time)

Something like that, I think. Maybe.

4. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Delicate warrior looks ugly to me. Warbot Defender costs way to fricking much.
    Thats the thing... I love this third party stuff. I would be all over reflector, or the insecticons... but I can't justify them for the price.

5. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

If I had the money, I'd buy so much 3rd party stuff; but I'm having trouble keeping up with all the stuff Hasbro's putting out as it is. Plus, I still need to go through and get all the classics I missed.

6. Movie PRIME

Movie PRIME Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It may sound odd, but my collection feels more "Real" to me with no 3rd party/KO's in it. I know that sounds crazy "there just toys so what dose it matter who makes them" but I just like my collection to be "Official".

Now with that said while I don't by 3rd party characters I am open to buying 3rd party add on kits. I know I Know crazy! LoL.

7. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Price? No, I buy Takara. So that's not my gripe with "Third Party" figures.

My thing is simply this:

I collect Transformers. Transformers is a brand with toys produced by Hasbro and Takara.

Whether or not a "Third Party" toy is better in anyone's eye doesn't change the fact that it's not official Hasbro or Takara product. It doesn't mean anything in my collection since it's just "a toy that looks like Springer" as opposed to being "Springer."

8. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    So, Hasbro could paint a stick of shit green, label it Springer, and you'd buy it because it's "official" over Warbot? Bc, that's exactly the point you just made.

And, that point is fine, but... I dunno.

Anyways, thanks for the answers guys. I really appreciate the input!

9. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

Honestly, I really have tried to like 3rd party stuff, and I still buy it from time to time (hardhead upgrade, pe frenzy/rumble, city commander) but to me it just doesn't feel like a toy the same way 1st party stuff does. I almost always prefer 1st party over a 3rd party alternative. Case-in-point, united frenzy/rumble. They may be too big, but to me they are way better than the too small alternative. Plus, if you snap something on the typically intricately detailed yet all-plastic 3rd party figure, good luck finding a corpse to use for parts to fix it.

10. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

its not that i prefer it but:

- "classics" 3rd party heads do not ressemble the bots its trying to emulate. i don't think it will ever do that unless its Igear. they're good but not good enough to actually go for what they are capable of doing due to copyright issues. like everyone else i love getting good heads.
    - the plastic, no matter what peeps says the quality of plastic on these babies would never be good enough or trustworthy enough for me. i'll always have doubts. the weight and feel of most parts even with FP does not compare to the official ones
    - my wife, a big part of my decision when buying. if the box does not say transformers, she knows its a KO. for these are KOs. no matter what other peeps says. don't want my wif telling me i got ripped off and its not even a transformer. she already did once with a 3rd party product.
    - i'd buy the 3rd party products if its good enough. most of the stuff that's been out are fugly.
    - price. the biggest factor. for something smaller than a deluxe class? 45 bucks? or 89$ for a voyager class. these companies are not going to make money off of my addiction. i want the good stuff at a reasonable price. these companies will milk the characters we've been wanthing for ages.personally i don't want to be part it, if i can.

so far, still on my want list:

- TFclub devatator
    - PE reflector

i'd wait until enough peeps review it then i make a decision.

they look awesome enough minus the heads.

11. -l-AYATOLLAH-l-

-l-AYATOLLAH-l- Well-Known Member

I haven't seen one 3rd party figure that impressed me. I don't like the aesthetics of most of them, and honestly, I don't like that they are not made by Has/Tak. It is the same reason I don't do KO's. Warbot Defender looks like shite to me, even if he was made by Has/Tak, I just don't like the looks of him. I proudly have my G1 Springer displayed next to my E Hobby United Kup and BIS Rodimus. I think he looks just fine.
    Most of these armors and add ons that I see everyone going gaga for on here I think have to much of a Gundamy type of look that I just really don't appreciate. The Perfect Effect Rumble and Frenzy look like a 5 year old designed them to me. I just really don't get their appeal, but to each their own.

12. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll buy 3rd party stuff if I really like it and it doesn't permanently alter my "official" products. Add-ons are great, but "stand-ins" so to speak (or KOs if you prefer), just don't do it for me for the price they charge. Warbot is very cool looking, but it just doesn't interest me enough to spend $80 on it, let alone the prices that it is going for now. It's all about preference and what you personally value. If Hasbro ever makes an accurate Springer than I will be happy that I didn't spend the money on Warbot. If they don't, I don't really care and I will still be happy :D 

13. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Price price price. The figure really has to be fan-fucking-tastic for me to get it. It MUST MUST MUST knock my socks off and kick me in the balls and make me it's bitch. That was the case with Perfect Effect's Scouting Force X. Springer/Warbot Defender was never a character I liked, so I could not justify paying 80+ for it at the time. Now that he's over 100 I still cannot do it.

Basically I rarely see a third party figure that I actually want, especially at the prices they go for. It would have to be a character I love that doesn't have a figure already.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Except it so wasn't, and that was a flat out insulting thing to say.

I prefer Hasbro/TakaraTomy product because I genuinely flind it more appealing. Warbot doesn't look like Springer and just... doesn't click with me. It's really complex but it doesn't have any really unification to the design. Delicate Warrior (which honestly I woudln't buy based on anme alone) likewise doesn't look appealing. It looks like it's trying too hard and failing. Hasbro/TakaraTomy makes equally great toys with way more considerations and constrictions than 3rd party companies, an I don't just mean safety reasons but durablity and stuff.

Another big factor is the price, but even then I could put up with it if I liked the figures enough. (afterall, it's not like Third Party stuff comes out as often as offcial figures do)

However this is so not to say there's no third party stuff I want. Those HoS figures? Awesome, want, probably only gonna afford one, but want regardless. But even those don't have the... character I find with TakaraTomy/Hasbro stuff.

It's like when buying a house. You have the option of a totally modern all the trimmings mansion, but for 8 times less you could get a house that's just as good in a better location with more character, but could maybe use some paint if you get around to it.

15. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I prefer 1st party. But if I think a 3rd party figure is awesome and worthy then I'm going to buy it.

I'll agree with seali_me, a lot of 3rd party figures have fugly heads. iGear is the best at designing heads right now and that's probably because they're the company with the biggest balls right now. Lol.

16. Kuma Style

News Credits:
    Last sentence is so beyond agreed with.

The main point I totally agree with you on is crappy assed plastic.

Case in point: The FP Bruticus upgrade. If you're not insanely careful, those shoulder joints will fucking grind themselves into mush in no time at all, and there's no saving them.

The only thing insulting is you nitpicking a sentence out of that post to have something smarmy to say while ignoring the rest which elaborated. Yes, it is what he blatantly said: He prefers the Hasbro/Takara versions because they are name brand and everything else isn't.

I don't have any insults towards him or his opinion, bc he's entitled to it, so, please sir, just carry on with the conversation at hand and keep it at that. No one's here for the kiddy flamey shit. Sorry if the term "brick of shit" took you out of sorts, but it was the only thing that I could think of at the time which made my point.

[​IMG]-[​IMG]

That doesn't look like Springer?

[​IMG]-[​IMG]

That doesn't look like Arcee?

To each their own... but I liek the house analogy and see where you're coming from with it.

... and awesome responses guys, seriously. There's a lot of stuff against third party products being written that I'm actually surprised I completely agree with.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  17. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

For me it's mainly price... I see a lot of 3rd party stuff that IMO shits on Hasbro but the price is just too great a difference to justify a purchase. Take the new not-Insecticons, goddamn they look fantastic but it looks like getting all 3 of them individually will cost well over $150 (not including shipping here to Australia) unless they have a deal for all 3 of them.

Usually it takes something extra special for me to shell out the extra cash (Perfect Effect Scouting Force, that upcoming not-Hearts of Steel Shockwave if it's good).

18. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Well, that is what Hasbo did tho.

For the record if I could afford 3rd party I'd get it.

Here's the thing: I'd get the official Hasbro product first... and would resort to 3rd Party if Hasbro never made the figure or only gave us some loust Armada figure with a fresh coat of paint.

19. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've never been a fan of "3rd party" stuff, tbh. Even if it wasn't for the price, the majority of it looks like shit anyways. Only one I've ever put any thought into getting, is PE-11, and even then that's mostly because I think the set would look good displayed with my camera collection (I'm a bit of a sucker for vintage cameras...).

20. MagnusPrimal

MagnusPrimal Well-Known Member

It's mostly price for me.
    I buy some 3rd party stuff, I have City Commander, Shadow Commander, Protector, the iGear Kup heads on the way, Munitioner, Explorer, etc, but if Hasbro offers me an alternative that I think works, I'll take it. For instance, Springer. Warbot looks great, but he costs too much when I have the Universe Springer who can stand in for him. Also, I haven't given up hope that Hasbro will make one. Some of the other stuff, I'd love to have it, but for me it's just not worth the price.