Question about the story

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by boxerperson, Jun 20, 2010.

1. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Right, I don't want any details, but for those of you who are already playing through this thing.....

Is the story any good?

I mean, I know it's transformers, and there's some kind of dark energon, and it shows how the classic characters all joined up with each other....but is the actual story itself good? Is the pacing ok? Are there any twists? Will I care what happens beyond seeing some of my favorite characters?

2. Kenji

Kenji Well-Known Member

I found the story great lots of homage's and everything. The Voice acting and Cast is fantastic and the overall game is awesome.(I have finished all the campaign)

3. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Right....but I mean apart from fanwank, and the fact that the gameplay is good...is the story itself any good?

An example I would use: The gameplay, graphics, dialog, etc of Gears of War are all great....however the actual story itself serves as a vehicle just to show off all this crazy stuff. At no point do I care about any of the characters and I'm not playing to find out what happens next. I playing because it's great fun.

I would of course have no problem with WFC if that's how it is, and it does seem to have some great dialog, very Transformers. But will I care about what happens? Or will I be playing it because it's just fun as hell?

4. Kenji

Kenji Well-Known Member

It feels like a transformers game and story. The gameplay is great. And the story is truly a great addition to the Transformers Universe. The gameplay and Story hold up on their own. As I said The story is awesome. I cant go into details cause that will spoil.

5. BlueFlame

BlueFlame Well-Known Member

So does the game serve as a good prequel to the Generation 1 cartoon universe, or does it go off on its own thing?

6. Hung Wei Lo

Hung Wei Lo New Member

would it be better to start off with the Autobot or Decepticon Campaign, story-wise?

7. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I understand that the Decepticon campaign is chronologically first.

8. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also, how long are we talking hour wise for a full run through of both campaigns? How replayable would you say they are with the different characters available and Co-Op?

9. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've found that each chapter takes about an hour to an hour and a half to complete, so you are talking 10-15 hours gameplay depending on your skill and the difficulty level.

There are some differences playing as the different characters, but it doesn't change the experience that much IMO.

10. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I'm taking the slow approach; playing on hard, looking for all the faction symbols/ hidden pickups, and generally staring at the scenery. While I may not be able to stop myself from playing, at least I won't rush though the whole thing in one night.
    Loving it so far...

11. SentinelPrime

SentinelPrime I NEEDED THAT!

Ebay:
    Good approach. I think I will do this as well.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I recommend playing it in the right order. The game does something. Not only is the decepticon campaign fantastic and even funny in places, but for a split moment, I actually felt a part of their cause, and even if Megs is a bad guy, I was starting to hate the Autobots, lol.

I'm sure that will change, when I switch sides, but this game and its story (particularly the dialogue) has been pure awesomeoness.

13. Mr knightmare

Mr knightmare Banned

News Credits:
    Once I start playing I'll taking the easier route.

I'll be playing it on easy (since I SUCK at video games) but I'll re-play each chapter with all the different charactters. It will mkae the game freash and interesting everytime I play it again :) 

14. Angelwave

Angelwave Physical Maintenance.....

News Credits:
    That's exactly what I'm doing. It's always a good idea to start on easy to get acclimated, then change it up. And a great excuse to play as different characters the next couple of go arounds. :D 

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yesterday I was tempted to change it to easy. I chose Soundwave for my run, and his second weapon is a healing gun, so when I'd run out of my primary weapon, I was screwed, with a healing gun that (as far as I knew) I would not use on myself, and no primary weapon to switch to. But I ended up giving it another shot and playing it smart.

Like I said, you can switch to vehicle and that gives you another weapon, not to mention better mobility. Soundwave has an awesome vehicle weapon.

16. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Thats why i love Ratchet.

Even if it's only for one level:( 

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's no way to use the heal-beam on yourself, right?

It was pretty awesome having NPC Soundwave heal me as Megatron. He saved my ass.

18. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yeah the beam can only be used on other characters...although there are these Healing Aura Grenades. You throw them and they set up a dome of energy that heals you while you are in it. Pretty cool.

In terms of story, I think it's great. Very original. It's definitely a stand-alone universe. G1 would not be launched after War for Cybertron. I say let High Moon make more sequels to flesh out their own universe...they deserve it.

While playing the game, I kind of had the same feeling you got from the Transformers Armada game. While everyone complains about the series, it's generally accepted that the game was pretty good because they took the concept and did their own thing with it. War for Cybertron is better in just about every department...but it gave me the same vibe I had back in the day.

The game let's you choose which campaign to start first, with chapter I marking the beginning of the Decepticon campaign, and I think chapter VII marking the beginning of the Autobot campaign. The story mode feels a little short to me, but in think the replay value of playing through certain missions with other friends will keep me playing this game. I also tried to take my time, playing a few hours here and there...and sight seeing and looking for everything. There's lot of details in everything they did. My only complaint is that if you did leave your game open for co-op play...the other players (at least the ones that joined me) seemed to be a little more rambunctious...running ahead, and leaving me behind...which of course, the game ultimately "teleports" you to the rest of your team if you get too far behind...forcing me to miss some of the things I wanted to see. Coure, I'll just play again!

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bummer, I tried to point it at myself, and I'm sure I just looked stupid to Megatron. Yeah, I saw the healing gernades.

Soundwave's shield saved me a lot too.

20. Squall42080

Squall42080 Autobot RSX Type-S

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, that shield was literally a lifesaver towards the end there... ;)