Question about the Movie Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by John P, Jun 25, 2009.

1. John P

John P Member

I never understood the Transformer toyline for the movies. For example, are all of them the same scale? Leader, Voyager, Deluxe? If I get Leader Prime and Voyager Ironhide. Would their scale match as in the movie?

2. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nope but i think they look at the marketing strategies and price ranges best suited for figs and group them by that as oposed to having numerous toys at numerous sizes ...plus i mean an inscale devastator adn demolisher would be unreal ....not enough trunk space in my car to haul a devastator..lol

3. iamamachine

iamamachine colonyofcells

News Credits:
    You can play with Leaders and Voyagers. It could be better to just play with all Voyagers/Deluxe without Leaders.

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    scale doesnt exist in the TF toylines, outside of the Alternator line from a few years back.

5. arcee3

arcee3 Well-Known Member

They're different scales. The scouts are maybe 3 3/4 inch figures, the deluxe are closer to six inch figures, voyager close to maybe nine inch, and Leaders close to 12 or 13 inches. Since Bee is Deluxe, Ratchet is voyager, Prime is Leader, then yes the scale roughly matches the on screen counterparts. If you were to get Voyager Prime or Megs, it wouldn't be in scale with the others, however. So yes, if you were to get Leader Prime and Voyager Ironhide, their scale would roughly match like in the movie.

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

There is no actual scale for the Transformers toys outside of Alternators. And the movie line is no exception. If the toys were in scale, half the Cons would have to be Supreme sized or larger. However, having said that, with the Autobots at least, you can get a fairly rough but accurate representation of scale going. Buy new leader Prime, Voyager Ironhide and Ratchet and deluxe versions of the cars and they actually look pretty good together, almost like they should be as big as they are.

They're not mind you, but they at least almost look like they are.

7. The Mad Vulcan

The Mad Vulcan Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I remember this discussion back when the 1st movie came out. The choice of scale per figure is due to the class sizes. When you want a store to stock your product you need a variety of toys in each price range. For this reason, they shimmy each of the figures into a size class.

Its rather unfortunate that they don't follow the Star Wars line and suppliment small figures with excessories, but it is more difficult do to size restraints. The Star Wars vehicles have never been anywhere near scale.

I did the calculations previously and found that if you consider a Leader Optimus to be standard scale; the Bumblebee and Barricade figures are pretty close to scale. Ironhide is slightly small. Ratchet and Jazz are large.

Considering the lack of complexity in Ratchet's transformation, I wish that he had been made smaller and simply came with something else, like a scale Tyrese or Wheelie or some BS weapon.

8. butz

butz slippery when wet

I wish Ravage had been a Scout class figure; not only because he looks way too big next to Bumblebee and Rampage, but theres just not much to him.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

He's getting a Deluxe, I think. Not sure.

But for the OP: Yeah, outside Alts., TF toys have NEVER been in scale with each other. NEVER.

Although the new HA line may be as close as you get, as all the robots have to be able to seat similar sized human character figureines in them, and there is a rumored Barricade coming out next year.