Question about the DVD collection of the G1 show

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Viper08, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    With the 25th anniversary coming up in '09, what are the chances they re-release the entire 4 seasons on DVD (or Blu-ray)for those of us that missed it the first time around?
    Any comments?
    Thanks guys

2. benzo

benzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd love to see them release a set on blu-ray but I'm not gonna hold my breath on it

3. Greenspan

Greenspan Monetary Maestro

News Credits:
    I would like for G1 to be released on DVD without any type of tampering whatsoever.

Am I the only one who wants that show on DVD (or Blu-ray) ?

I would buy both G1 and G.I. Joe on DVD, I mean almost every other 80s cartoon is available at this point.

Godspeed
    -Greenspan

4. moocow

moocow God.

The chances are very very small, plus there's already a perfectly good box set for about $100 that has no problems at all.

5. Viper08

Viper08 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    moocow, which is that set, i've looked and always find one in chinese (with the english dubbed of course), if anyone could point out which one is it. I saw one on special for 59.99, but in the cover there was a starscream from armada, so i didn't think it was the G1 version.
    Also maybe they'll re-release it as a commemorative thing to celebrate 25th anniversary, you never know.

6. Start>Change>

Start>Change> Scraplet

7. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    ...not to mention TF2: ROTF coming to theaters in '09.

I've said in several other threads here that I have a strong gut feeling we'll see the entire series reissued between the time ROTF hits theaters and to tie in with the ROTF DVD/BR release in the fall. If not the entire series, I think we can expect at least the first couple seasons re-issued in 2009, with the remainder of the series during 2010.

From a marketing standpoint, it makes no sense why Hasbro *wouldn't* re-issue it when:

a) it's been out of print for so long already
    b) there's high demand for it, not just from fans but thanks to millions of impressions generated for TFs worldwide thanks to the 2007 film, the upcoming one, and TFA as well.
    c) it's the 25th anniversary (to me, that's an automatic no-brainer)
    d) they got the rights back from Sunbow and have already reissued MTMTE (aka the 1st three eps of the G1 series) on DVD with Universe 25th Anniversary Prime, and the DVD actually has bonus content.

I'd really like to see the series remastered from the pre-broadcast tapes with the animation errors corrected, and no "enhanced" audio unless it's the original audio. That might be too tall an order to see that kind of release in 2009 though, if they haven't started such a project already. And I don't know about you guys, but if Hasbro announced such a project and said it would take longer to produce, I think it would be well worth the wait and I'd certainly be willing to pay more for a better quality product.

And for Pete Cullen's sake, Hasbro, produce some bonus content that fans would actually want to see -- primarily interviews with the cast and crew who are still with us.

8. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Word, homie. I've got the Metrodome releases of Seasons 2-4, and the special features are terrible. Quizzes with answers from the comics (the Autobots' computer was called Aunty? Not in any episode on this set), footage from Auto Assembly that was literally someone with a camcorder wandering around, and an interview with Simon Furman. Ah yes, I remember the massive part he played in the G1 cartoon.:rolleyes: 

9. Tela_Tran2

Tela_Tran2 AUTOBOT MAIN FRAME

With the new movie coming out next year, I'd bet good money that they'll release a 25th on hi-def and blu-ray, I'd think it'd come out the same time that they relase the movie on DVD, maybe this time next year.

10. TheNotoriousROB

TheNotoriousROB Well-Known Member

Are you talking about this? I should have it soon and I'll let you know if it's worth $60 bucks.

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    The Chinese TF box set is a IAQ (incessantly asked question) here. Everything you need to know about it is detailed in Draven's review:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...262-g1-dvd-box-set-question-2.html#post630309

And two other threads where this set was discussed at length can be found here and here.

And I would strongly encourage those interested in it to buy it from amazon dealers rather than via bidding wars on ebay.

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    The "bonus" content on the Rhino releases wasn't much better. Some of it was decent, but there just wasn't much to speak of, and they never interviewed a single one of the original voice cast. What's sad is that both Gregg Berger and Corey Burton told me they'd have willingly been interviewed -- all they had to do was contact them. Gregg said he'd have even done it for free, without charging the standard SAG rate (although I'm sure his agent would've been unhappy about that).

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I've got the Maverick release of Season 1, and it's at least better than Metrodome's efforts. Not amazing, but at least it wasn't put together on suggestions from fans of the comics.

14. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I have all of the Rhino DVDs (and I'm very glad that I do!)

Buuut.... I might re-buy them IF they don't mess with the audio (which was just un-necessary, especially since you can't fix it on some of the discs) and they put in some really great bonus features.

15. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    I just can't figure why the series isn't readily available at Best Buy and such. If they can keep individual seasons of random sitcoms on the shelves, then surely they have room for a complete box set of the best cartoon from the 80's.

I've been debating picking up the Rhino set. The other set, from what I understand, has region issues and since I use my 360 to watch DVD's, chances of unlocking it to watch non US region disks is pretty slim. But, the Rhino set is stupid expensive. Ugh.

And Blu-Ray? Yes, I would buy.

16. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Didn't they say at Botcon that Hasbro regained the rights to the show for the express purpose of a future re-release?