Question about the 86 movie..

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lion, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    Ok, ill say I'm sure the answer was "toy sales", but was there another answer somewhere in tf lore?

Why was Megatron and the others reformatted into completely new bots, new names, etc....couldn't (at least Megatron anyway) just be repaired? I mean given the galvatron body or armor, but keep the name. I was watching it and just either thought...unicron could have just killed megs and the crew and used the bodies- unless he needed the spark..but then the spark is Megatrons, etc.....galvatron, cyclonus, and scourge could have just been released by uniron somehow, been prisoners upon meeting Megatron and then repaired and megs and galvatron coulda tag teamed the autobots.
    At least when hot rod became rodimus, it was like a kid name joey being called Joe later, still recognized, just more mature.

I hate that this question is bugging me, but does anyone have an answer?

2. Grand Sword

Grand Sword Well-Known Member

Umm... maybe it can summed up by Scourge... "but remember we belong to him"....

Could be Unicron changing them and their names to make them realise that they are his to command. Megatron/Galvatron wont accept this as he has been the the leader of the Decepticons for so long, and even with becoming even more powerful with the Galvatron body he will not bow down to Unicron. And later on when he obtains the Matrix he wishes to use make Unicron his slave, which he later finds out isn't as easy as he thought...

3. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I'm not sure what your asking.

Megatron was repaired,his body was then rebuilt.

4. chazparks

chazparks Well-Known Member

Galvatron, Cyclonus, Scourge were reincarnted. Galvatron just remebers his past life.

Hot Rod grew up

5. Wingwolf77

Wingwolf77 Decepticon Dark lord

I will buy Cyclonus and Scourge as reincarnated. But Galvatron IS Megatron.
    Unicron -"...but very well. I will provide with a new body, and troops to command.”

6. Rigas

Rigas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They were Unicron's heralds. So he changed them to suit his needs.

7. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    In terms of reality - selling new toys, obviously.

In terms of the fiction - I would say that Unicron did a reformat instead of a simple repair in order to make the castoffs more powerful and better able to suit his needs. No doubt Unicron found their previous forms unsuitable.

8. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think you answered your own questions with the "to sell toys" argument. The other reason is, unlike today, where Hasbro knows it's the CHARACTERS that kids/people bond with, they just thought new toys/new characters would be better for sales. Things are different today obviously, as we are seeing popular characters show up in every series and get reformatted and such. Remember, back them Transformers was just a toyline, not the huge brand it has become today

9. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

He probably seemed like the best candidate to be Unicron's puppet.
    Maybe Unicron reconized Megatron's power & skills and decided he'd make the perfect puppet to get things done.
    If he erased or reworked Megatron's mind it would've killed who he is and whant drives him.

After the upgrade, Unicron feels it would be wise to give him a more powerful name to go with.

just guessin

If you had a pet shark you can name him steve. But if you throw missle launchers on his back you'd probably wanna call him the Steveinator

10. Lion

Lion Will bite you!

Ebay:
    Yeah, but I'm asking why change the name to galvatron? Megatron ( even back then) had incredible name value. It was a big gamble to change the bad guy leaders name and risk confusing a mass audience....
    Heck, even making galvatron and Megatron separate characters, then having galvatron successfully dethrone Megatron in a coup, could still keep megs relevant.

11. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I'm not so sure about the name value, but maybe Hasbro wanted to change the name because it wasnt an original name.

What I mean is that the TF known as Megatron isint the first fictional character to go by the names "MEGATRON"

12. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

One of the big things which Hasbro has admitted is that they themselves did not realize how popular the Season 1 and 2 characters were. While the '07 movie was in production there was a Hasbro interview (about the '86 movie oddly enough) where they admitted that they thought kids would be excited to have new toys and did not foresee the problem with killing off Optimus Prime.

So honestly the answer really is "to sell toys". They admitted that had they known how big Optimus was they would have never killed him of...they forgot to mention "and release a new toy of him" (oh wait power master).

But if you want a better explanation...
    Unicron needed to break Megatron of being Megatron. The new body upgraded him to a super powerful status, but also brought with it a new identity. Galvatron was still Megatron on the inside (in the movie...I can't vouche for his Season 3 insanity lol) but he was different...a constant reminder of how he survived and who his master was.

And while sparks (as they are known now) did not truly exist until Beast Wars, you are correct that Unicron needed a living Transformer to reformat. He could not (or at least I don't believe he could) revive the dead or create life from a dead husk. Nor could he create matter from nothing (but he did pull a ship out of himself...maybe he fashioned it from the planets he ate...and maybe he could then...I dunno). And Megatron was the best choice for his plans.

13. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

the whole thing isa faustian bargain in its way

literally a deal with the devil so to speak

a thing like that can fully corrupt a person kill what good good gaulities that peson had in thier life originally and what iot does not kill of their being it warps and corrupsts towards evil leaving only the evil in that persons being alive in its way which if you ask me would explain in some part at least why megatron was so differant a character from galvatron

and yes i agree it was done to sell toys of the new characters at the time

14. Grand Sword

Grand Sword Well-Known Member

Was Galvatron meant to be Megatron though in the toys? I mean he was a city commander just like Ultra Magnus was...

... it's awaesome that he was Megatron, but I'm curious if he was ever meant to be when they created the toy...

15. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

Many have asked that question.And I know of no definitive answer.

But if you look at all the evidence it seems pretty clear that Marvel/Sunbow always intended Galvatron to be a upgrade for Megatron.

Unlike most of the G1 line,some of the movie characters were designed and written before the toys for them were designed.

Galvatrons general appearance, and his back story for the film were already decided long before the toy was made.

The toys bio seems to have been deliberately written to mislead fans as to not reveal key plot points of the movie.

Now it seems Takara wasnt in the "know" or they misunderstood Hasbro/Marvels intent for the character, because one of their earliy comic stories features Galvatron and Megatron together.

16. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

Reality reason, Hasbro at the time probably wanted to try to get away from a transforming toy gun, since this was the time when cops where shooting kids by accident when they aimed a TOY gun at them

17. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best analogy....Galactus and Norrin Radd.

Galactus "reformats" Radd into Silver Surfer. An almost emotionless servant of Galactus with barely any memories of his former life making him an almost completely different character. Once free of Galactus more emotion shows and a few more memories but he is still never going to be like Norrin Radd.

18. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Always thought galvatron and his cronies were evil silver surfers. Makes sense, the 86 movie is riddled with plots and characters taken from various fictions.

Hot Rod,Kup,Springer and arcee are basically star wars characters in disguise lol.

19. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Galactus heralds could be considered evil too. Nova and Firelord will do his bidding no matter what gets killed. Surfer only became a herald to avoid other life planets getting eaten by Galactus but aside from that he was also a bit of an obeyer to Galactus.

I agree with the "borrowing". Who else has a red and blue color scheme? hmm

Megs reminds me of Vader in a way as well.

20. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Never! You cant dethrone Megatron! He wouldn't allow it!