Customs: Question about Tamiya clear

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Drpee, May 26, 2009.

1. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Sabrina recommended this stuff to me and i would just ask her but she's a busy woman so i dont want to bother her. I have a few questions about this stuff though so i was wondering if anyone here had any experiance with it? What i mainly want to know is can you apply it with an airbrush? Out of the pot its pretty thick so id imagine it needs thinning first but what with? Does water work since its acrylic or have i got to use something else?
    If anybody can help id be very thankful. :cool: 

2. Sabrina_Ng

Sabrina_Ng La Femme Fatale

Ebay:
    heya! Sori that i still havent replied ur gundam fists qns. Abt the acrylics, i use the acrylics thinner to dilute it. Never tried water before though.

3. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Tamiya recommends using their acrylic thinner (as Sabrina mentioned). I honestly don't know if you can use water with Tamiya's acrylics--I would assume you could, since acrylics are water-based, but I just haven't tried their paints (have some, just haven't used them yet). Wish I could help you out more, man. I'd say trial and error with an old brush, if you have the paint already. I usually use Testors Model Master Acryl clear colors when needed (though I've heard Tamiya clears are great also).

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I spray my tamiyas through an air brush, diluted with water. Tamiya "thinner" most likely has some sort of alcohol in it, allowing it to dry a little quicker. Lot of Tamiya users also like 70 or 91% alcohol.

5. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its ok hun no problem! Whenever you have the time, as i said i figured you was busy so i didnt want to hassle you. :) 

Well i have used water to thin down their paint i just never used their clear before and was worried that it would lose its glossy shiny capabilities if i just used water to thin it but as the following poster says....

Thats what i needed to know. How much water do you actually add to dilute it? What sort of consistency should i be looking for?

Thanks for all the tips dudes and dude-ettes.

6. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    depends on your air brush, psi, humidity, application. Usually a "milk-like consistency" is recommended for air brush paint

7. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I use alcohol to thin down my tamiya paints, I try to do about a 70/30 mix of paint to alcohol. Its a lot of trial and error to find what works best for you.

8. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks guys.

9. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok im having some issues. I tried diluting the clear as described (although i am going by guess-work here as i dont have a way of measuring how much water im adding to the clear or vice-versa)and when i applied it i got a very dull and orange-peel like finish, so i applied some more and it started building up around the edges like beads of water would so i stopped and let it dry for a bit. I come back after about 5 minutes and find that around the edges the clear has dried to a horrible dull finish while the inside is still wet and shiny looking. Am i doing something wrong or should i just stick to using Future? The only thing i dont like about future is the amount of coats you have to apply to get a shiny finish.

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I get a gloss coat with 1 coat of future.
    If this is your first time air brushing clear coat, you should practice more on a junker figure or area. Only through trial and error are you going to get the results you are hoping for.

11. Drpee

Drpee Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How do you get a gloss with 1 coat of future? Ive used clears before so this isnt my first time airbrushing, it is my first time using stuff like tamiya and future though. I know how to apply lacquers and such but they are expensive and im trying to diversify a bit and try this stuff.