question about system setup

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NotFastEnuff, Dec 26, 2006.

1. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Hi everyone. I remember a while back that it was said (somewhere) that if you put you PS2 on it's end (vertivally) that it would wear out quicker. Is this true? Also, if it's true, does the same go for the Wii and 360? Thanks in advance. I'm trying to redo our entertainment center post- Christmas, and I'm trying to do what's best for these things.

2. kenm2474

kenm2474 LORD DC TFW2005 Supporter

I had my original PS2(Launch Unit) Vertical since day 1 and have had no issues at all. I currently have my PS3 Horizontal and my 360 Vertical. They were both made to do one or the other. Every video I have seen by Sony or M$ have had them in a Vertical stance. So either way dosnt matter.

3. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I currently have my Wii vertical and my 360 horizontal and my brother's PS3 and 360 are also horizontal. I don't see a problem with them being in either position. In fact all three new current-gen systems are displayed vertically in there demo stations. As for the PS2 my brother's was horizontal for 3 or 4 years before it basically died, it was a day 1 systems just like kenm2474's, and all it can do now is play CD based games. It should be fine to put them in either position since they were designed for both.

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I always kept my PS2 horizontal. I've had 2 of them die on me already.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    almost every launch PS2 is dead today because of various reasons, and being put on it's side is one of them. problems I know of that can result from it is wearing out the disc drivem since it puts more weight on it when it moves in and out, and the laser coming out of alignment easier (Deathx360's problem). The slimline PS2 is for the most part immune to these problems.

The Wii, PS3, and 360 are built much better than the original PS2. you don't have to worry about having them upright.

6. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Putting the system on its side is a cure for laser assembly wear and tear. It comes from the original Playstation, which used cheap plastic that wore down quickly. Putting it on its side put pressure on the other side of the arm which wasn't worn down as much.

7. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    My brother's PS2 was horizontal not in the vertical position.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    non-slim PS2's lasers can get out of alignment no matter what position it's in. having it on it's side just speeds things up.

9. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

I always figured it was just poor quality control.

Every person I have talked to who has owned a PS2 has said they had to replace it at least once, I've talked to 3 people who have gone threw four systems.

10. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I got my PS2 back when FFX came out over here, so it would have been about a year or more after it was launched. Never had any problems with it, very occasionally it chokes on reading a dual layer DVD like Wild Arms Alter Code F or Xenosaga, but mostly it behaves.
    I always keep it horizontal though, and I don't use it all that much. Maybe a couple of hours at a time, couple of nights a week. My brother had his for longer and keeps his vertical, and he's never had any troubles with his either. At least, not to my knowledge.

11. maximus prime3

maximus prime3 Banned

mine was a launch and it is still kicking

12. Glhboy

Glhboy <font color=red><b>Goes Like Hell....</b></font> Moderator

News Credits:
    same as mine, got it at launch and no problems here at all.

13. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Yup. My PS was a release day Mk1 (separate audio outputs FTW), and I had to do that. It still died eventually though. :( 

14. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

MINE IS FINE. WHaT THE FUCK ARE YOU GUYS TALKING ABOUT?!

15. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In some ways it makes sense why the positioning of the system would be better horizontally vs vertically. Since the disk is spinning, if it is doing so horizontally, there is basically equal gravitational force being applied across the surface of the disk (at least as far as the motor spinning the disk is concerned). However, when the disk is vertical, there is more effort required by the motor to push half the disk up than it takes to spin the other half down. Thanks to air frictions and such, the energy gained by the downward spin is never equal to the amount lost on the upward spin, and so the motor works a little harder for spinning the disk upwards. It's probably an incredibly small difference mind you, but considering how many times a second the disk spins, the minute difference could theoretically build up over time.

Realistically though, the rest of your system will likely burn out first....

Just make sure that you don't switch from vertical to horizontal while the system is playing a game and you should be fine