Question About "Starscream's Brigade"

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by DecepticonSpike, Jun 4, 2011.

1. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    In the episode, Starscream place five Decepticon "personality components" (Sparks) into some old WW2 vehicles, turning them into Transformers. Now, my question is, do the components/Sparks have the ability to turn a normal machine into a TF body, or did Starscream have to do some refitting first?

2. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    they magically converted them thru the strength of their hating for megatron...or it was just a stupid plot story line...like the transformer movie bumblebee scanning a new form and POOF! look ma, i am a brand new camaro!

3. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

It's a cartoon.

4. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I know it's a cartoon.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Don't you just hate it when people post "It's a cartoon" during an in-universe-type discussion?

The Combaticons probably reformatted the vehicle modes. Look what Bee did to upgrade his Camaro mode in 2007. Same principle.

6. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

I mean there's no rhyme or reason, it's a kids cartoon. It's just one of those things. Now if it were teen oriented like Prime, there would be an explanation.

7. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Ok, let's be real- there is no answer.

So... FANON!!!

Look, Plague of Insecticons revealed that some (if not all) Transformers do indeed have internal reconfiguration computers that augment said robot for new modes. The Insecticons' own presumed internal computers changed them into insects.

We know what sparks look like, but they weren't brought into fiction until Beast Wars. However in the original scripts for the Transformers Movie it mentions Megatron's "life spark"; his life force that leaves his body upon death. However a Transformers life spark in the original drafts in a small glowing soul-like version of their true self, not an orb.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the concept of a spark (BW) didn't exist yet, and the concept of a soul/life spark was already around in early Movie drafts. Why does that matter? Because it demonstrates that the personality component and a Transformers soul are not the same thing.

If anything, the Personality Component could be a block containing a Transformers, well, personality and/or mind. Perhaps the Combaticons no longer have sparks. Lord knows the Stunticons were fully functional before Vector Sigma gave them life.

Also consider- in Beast Wars, Primal becomes Optimal Optimus, growing and mutating as a result of housing another spark. Perhaps the personality component is a "spark" but also personality data et cetera. When these sparks were put in the vehicles, they mutated.

How about this? The personality component contains: a spark (maybe?), idento-computers (Plague of Insecticons), and misc programming for personality (power chip rectifiers?). The spark and the idento-computers mutate the vehicles into modern forms and grant them robot modes? Or maybe the spark isn't needed.

The Stunticons were built by Megatron and lacked souls so to speak. Prior to that though they followed orders, could transform, and fully functioned. Maybe the Combaticons on Earth were similar, and in fact they lacked true souls but acted fully "living" because of their personality components?

Ah tangents... and fan canon...

8. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

From what I remember Starscream definitely gave the impression that he had done some work on their bodies. On the other hand, after he installed the personality component/spark, the bodies did seem to reform themselves. So maybe it was a little bit of both.

9. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    For the needs of that story, at that time, yes, they seemed to make the old machines into Transformers bodies.

For most other stories, they generally don't.

10. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Yep. This. It doesn't make sense that the sparks should give the Combaticobs the ability to upgrade and repair their vehicle modes, but it was a necessary plot device.

I believe Starscream did some modifications since there is the talk about needing to capture other Transformers for energy absorbers.

11. DecepticonSpike

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    So in that case, it could be the Spark, and not the actual body. Makes you wonder how different TF:TM could have been if they could have, let's say, transfered Primes spark into a normal Freightliner.

Forgot about that. I still; think it is weird, though, that the WW2 vehicles turn into 1980's ones without any sort of trans scanning like what Teletran 1 did in MTMTE.

12. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I only really noticed that when I finally saw Starscream's Brigade for the second time after decades (I saw it once in the original G1 run, waited for it to come on again so I could tape it then lost interest before it did) - but if we need to have a reason, I suppose we could rationalize that Starscream is (by that time) familiar enough with human technology that he could have programmed in modification instructions to the sparks to bring the old decaying hulks up to contemporary human specifications. It's kind of a reach, but it's probably the only way to explain a decrepit bomber becoming a Space Shuttle.

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I figured since it was a piece of Cybertronian technology it could reconfigure the vehicles into more suitable forms for the intelligence units.

14. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The sparks reformatted the vehicles themselves (like movie Bumblebee as someone else mentioned). You forget, today this would get a better explanation, but back then, before Hasbro knew the extent of the fandom and everything else, they just did what you saw and called it good. This was the early days of Transformer creation. Because of half-assed explanations like this, that's why in modenr fiction it's explained a lot better. I dunno, that's all I got.

15. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Works for me.

16. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    I'd say 50/50.

Starscream did work on them beyond just digging them up, the reason the Combaticons follow him is because Starscream deliberately left out Energy Absorbers and he knew where to get them and how to install them.

That said, the component parts clearly did some work, perhaps the reformatting was done to specifications installed by Starscream and continuing the work from the point where Starscream left the bodies with to finish the conversion to the "modern" Combaticons.

17. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

i just figured it was lazy/quickly done animation....

I do kinda miss the aspect of having to physically alter/build their bodies, as opposed to the Bee camaro style....

I forget but I thought they were already created and had personalities, but were in detainment or whatever on cybertron? I forget. Im not talking about the DW comic either.

But even if the sparks could alter the stuff, how do you get a Space Shuttle out of an old ass airplane? I mean really. Unless they absorbed minerals an shit from the dirt.

I also think its bogus to have Megatron giving the Predacons the Predaking ability. Made no sense. The Quints did it if anything. Thats how I see it. But thats a side topic

18. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Megatron has nothing to do with Predaking in the cartoon..

19. Tampalicious

Tampalicious Tribe of Roadimus

I stated it was a side topic. Its from the Dreamwave comics, summer special