Question about Spider-Man's alien costume.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Spider Striker, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I just finished re-read ing my collection of "Amazing" from the black costume days, and during the course of the various chapters, there would be the old-school editor's box. You know "See last issue," etc. Well, among the references were "Spectalur Spider-Man," so now I'm wondering....

How was the black costume handled in Spidey's other books, or other books he guest-starred in at the time? Was he in the classic suit? Were the alien's extra abilities referenced at all?

And heck, as long as I'm on the subject, was the suit being alive Tom DeFalco's idea or was it handed down from the Editors?

Anyone know/remember?

2. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

At the time he was wearing the alien costume during ASM, he was also wearing it in SPECTACULAR and MARVEL TEAM-UP. I can't remember if the abilities were referenced or not.

I have an issue of BACK ISSUE magazine that interviewed DeFalco and Frenz about this, and I'll have to look for it, but IIRC, here's what happened... Before the suit debuted for the first time in ASM #252, there appeared to be a lot of negative word of mouth over it (cause there was rumors about Spider-Man getting a new costume).

So then DeFalco and Frenz were ordered to find a way to get rid of it, and they came up with the living alien costume idea. Then when ASM #252 finally came out the sales were high and they were already working in the alien costume idea.

I'll update once I find that issue.

3. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nerd Fact: He also had the alien costume in Transformers #3.
    He referenced that it was great that it had the ability to mimic his civilian clothes.

4. Spider Striker

That I do remember. It was cool. :) 

And thank you Spider for the info. :) 

5. The Spider

The Spider Well-Known Member

Found it...

Okay, in the interview DeFalco mentioned that before #252 was even published the news about Spider-Man getting a new costume leaked out. DeFalco and Frenz recall that, aside from the fans saying they were gonna boycott, one of the biggest problems might've come from the licensing department, who were licensing the red-and-blue costume, and that might've been what prompted Shooter to order the two to get rid of the black suit by #253.

So with all the hate and problems going on DeFalco said that at the time he had to figure out a way to get rid of the suit and suggested that the costume was an alien creature.

Also worth noting from the interview is that at this time, DeFalco and Frenz noted that a lot of people thought this was gonna be a huge disaster, because the fans were hating the news... a lot of other people at Marvel were trying to disassociate with the black suit. Ironically, because of the negative reaction, it caused sales on #252 and Secret Wars to skyrocket.

So basically, what happened is that fan, pro, etc venom toward the suit ended up indirectly causing the birth of Venom.

6. Spider Striker

Interesting, especially when you combine this info with how DeFalco handled the symbiote in Spider-Girl.

Thanks for the info. :) 

7. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

Um, just wondering, how DID Defalco handle the symbiote in Spirder Girl?

I'm a diehard spidey fan (hate his books now) but I never got into Spidey chick.