Question about some of the Universe/Neo G1

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HoosierDaddy, May 29, 2011.

1. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    I missed the boat on some of the Universe figures a few years ago and am now interested in catching them up a little at a time. I absolutely love them from the pics and review videos I have seen but I have seen some complaints about them too. I'm talking about Prowl, Silvertreak, Smokescreen etc. I have Generations Red Alert because I had him when I was a kid and I do like him but I am kinda iffy about some of the kibble namely the knee area. So I think Sunstreaker will be my last focus. I absolutely love Prowl and want to get him next. I just bought Hound off ebay and am waiting for it to arrive.

My question is, are they worth the prices they are pulling on ebay right now? Will I be disappointed paying $25-$40 each for them? Just looking for some input. Thanks in advance.

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I didn't like the Prowl/Silverstreak/Smokescreen mold at retail. It all depends on what floats your boat.

3. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    I do love the way they look on camera. lol I have RTS Jazz and the mold looks similar (is it the same mold?) and I do love RTS Jazz.

4. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    RTS Jazz is completely different and improves upon the obvious flaws in the Prowl mold. The way the door/wings transform was kinda inexcusable for something that recent. I couldn't get it without popping them off.

5. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    Hmm. That kinda sucks then.

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I can.

I dig the Prowl mold. It's not the best mold of the lot (Hound), but far from the worst (Galvatron). Sure does make a great Prowl though, with everything considered (alt mode, blank expression, etc.).

7. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    Yeah, plus it's Prowl. I don't think I could be too disappointed with it.

8. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    I do have to admit, Perceptor needs a different head sculpt from RTS. I wonder if Igear or someone will be working on one?

9. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    didn't like smokescreen. glad i found him cheap.

10. Geezertron

Geezertron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I bought Silver(Blue)streak at retail a long time ago, but I got a MOSC Prowl off of Ebay last month for $25. He's worth every penny. That mold does show it's age a little bit here and there, but overall it's great. Looks nice in both modes, and it's very poseable. As mentioned already, the door/wing transformation is a bit touchy, but the doors pop right back on if you mess up. I'd say go for it, for Prowl especially.

11. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can highly recommend Prowl too, even though his transformation isn't fluid...
    But if you have the option and the finances, I 'd go for Henkei Prowl: he's got a nicer paint job (Hasbro Prowl had some issues with sticky paint, I believe?). Henkei Prowl is set firmly in the middle of the Japanese 'chrome' waves, so it depends if you like that or dislike/hate it. The chrome shoulder missiles and chrome pistol all look very good on henkei Prowl though, in my opinion.

12. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Autobot Strategist

Definitely get the mold. I have no complaints whatsoever about it. And get all three versions. The only one I wish I would have gotten the Henkei on was Smokescreen, but if I ever do a Bluestreak custom or it gets made as an exclusive somewhere, they'll look a little different from eachother whereas Henkei streak would look like DIA Bluestreak with a splash of red.

13. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just buy one of the the toys.if you then decide you don't like it - sell it! Loads of people still want them. If you like them then buy the rest! I personally love all of these re-colours.

My reason being is that the alt mode is based on a Nissan 350z car which is an update of the old fairlady car that the original G1 toys were made after. Great design touch if you want my opinion!

14. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    Alldarker is right about the chrome, I really think that the chrome breaks up all of the white much better then the U.S. release. Also i believe the paint issue was just on the U.S. release, so go Henkei!

15. QmTablit

Doesn't help the thread any, but "Hoosier Daddy" was the name I gave my '07 Fantasy Basketball team.

'08 was the Buffalo Sharks.

16. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the advice. I will pick them up one by one as finances allow, starting with Prowl.

17. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    That's cool. How did you decide on the name?

18. smokey420

smokey420 auto-con

For the most part, all the classics molds are great, I never had a prob with Prowl, but my silversteak doors[ only 1 ] pops off all the time, but they still look great on display, go for it, they are all definately worth it, only prob with Galvatron being so small and Powerglide being soooo big, and pass on Blaster.

19. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    Yeah, I like the way Galvatron looks but he is quite small. I may pick him up somewhere down the road. haven't seen Blaster yet. I'll have to check out some video reviews.

20. QmTablit

I don't remember at all. Pretty sure the movie Hoosiers was about a Basketball team, so I probably made the connection there.