Question about shipping cost

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by catch22, Oct 7, 2007.

1. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry if this the wrong section for this, I wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm selling something on eBay and I got a question from someone asking if I ship to Canada and if so how much would the shipping be.

Now I'm a new seller on eBay so I'm not really familiar with what the typical cost would be so I check the USPS Postage Rate Calculator and enter the Destination (Canada), Shape (Package), and Weight (5 pounds) and the cheapest shipping is $21.20...that seems like a lot, is shipping really that expensive to Canada? Or there cheaper alternatives?

2. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    That's correct. It really is $20+ (I just sent 5 lbs. 1 oz. to Canada a few weeks ago... $22.50)

There's a slim chance it fits in the size limits for First Class, but I doubt it (I don't remember if there was a wieght limit on that). I don't even remember what the limits are, but they were quite odd. (length + 2 width +2 height less than 75 inches or something... Maybe it was 2 length + width + 2 height...)

For the sake of discussion and/or information: UPS, DHL, and Fedex will only be MORE expensive than that, and stick the buyer with large fees.

3. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks for the info SB1!

4. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    Glad I could help. Both my buyer and I were a bit skeptical when we first saw the cost, so I've been in your shoes.

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Depends what your shipping, smaller or medium size packages will be around $10-15 wile larger packages like the one you have will be around $20-25 so that is within the typical range.

Oh and never use UPS/FedEx when shipping to Canada as the person on the other end will, and every Canadian here will tell you this, get hit up with monster customs/brokerage fee's.

Another hint is when shipping to Canada is declare the value of the item low and mark it as a gift, trust me it will arrive quicker and will avoid a lot of hassle :) 

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I guess $20.00,I din't really know i just never ship things.

7. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Amen.. The higher the value, the more likely Customs will charge you a fee, which also requires you to go to the Post Office and pay the fee.

8. Soundblaster1

News Credits:
    And that is relevant (after SW.ca and I both posted) how...?

I feel pretty dumb now... I put up the full value on the Customs form for insurance reasons (first international transaction)... Lucky for me the buyer wasn't stuck with any fees.

9. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

UPS blows ass. Charging me ridiculous fees ($30 on a $50 package). Assholes. The worst postal service I have ever experienced.