Customs: Question about scratchbuilding with styrene

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Sso02V, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    What is the best width to work with? If the part I'm making is thicker, should I just layer the styrene or use a thicker piece?

2. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I'd try layering it. My logic being that it works for plywood, why wouldn't it work for styrene as well? Also, the thicker the styrene, the harder it would be to cut through it without a lot of effort, I'd think. Also, I don't think they really make styrene sheets too thick anyway.

Anyway, the thicknesses of styrene I've used are .020 inches and .030 inches, I think. I'm not really sure as it's been a long while since I bought it at www.micromark.com. I use the thicker sheets for parts that would encounter more stress, structurally and the thinner sheets for parts that need smaller parts or finer detail, as it's easier to cut and bend to shape.

3. Chaos Convoy

Chaos Convoy Dai Gurren-Dan member

News Credits:
    I'd try layering it. My logic being that it works for plywood, why wouldn't it work for styrene as well? Also, the thicker the styrene, the harder it would be to cut through it without a lot of effort, I'd think. Also, I don't think they really make styrene sheets too thick anyway.

Anyway, the thicknesses of styrene I've used are .020 inches and .030 inches, I think. I'm not really sure as it's been a long while since I bought it at www.micromark.com. I use the thicker sheets for parts that would encounter more stress, structurally and the thinner sheets for parts that need smaller parts or finer detail, as it's easier to cut and bend to shape.

4. dropkick76

dropkick76 Well-Known Member

As a model builder of 20 years thinner sheets glued together as best since you can prebend each layer before joining them together and then doing you final shape cuts and sanding.

5. dropkick76

As a model builder of 20 years thinner sheets glued together as best since you can prebend each layer before joining them together and then doing you final shape cuts and sanding.

6. Sso02V

News Credits:
    Do I just cut it with an x-acto knife or what? I've never really done anything with styrene before.

7. Sso02V

News Credits:
    Do I just cut it with an x-acto knife or what? I've never really done anything with styrene before.

8. VaporwareII

VaporwareII Active Member

Scissors will work for some parts, but yeah you need a good xacto

9. VaporwareII

VaporwareII Active Member

Scissors will work for some parts, but yeah you need a good xacto

10. dropkick76

Depending on the thickness you can use a good pair of scissors but the thicker the sheet you will need a good x-acto and a metal straight edge.

11. dropkick76

Depending on the thickness you can use a good pair of scissors but the thicker the sheet you will need a good x-acto and a metal straight edge.